West Ham Utd 0-2 Manchester City (7/8/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

shifty
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United vs Manchester City: match thread

Post by shifty »

Pinky, re your last point about the gap getting bigger, do you mean gap to Man City, gap to where we 'want to be' (top 4?) or both?
In my view, unfortunately the former is almost inevitable without drastic changes in fortune (literally)?
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by wildkard »

the pink palermo wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:33 am Yesterday we saw the worst of Antonio, disinterested, disheartened and dispossesed all too easily. The presence of Scamacca on the bench appeared to demotivate him rather than fire him up, a worrying sign. I would hope he would fight harder for his starting berth.
I'm starting to think that he wasn't just knackered last season, but that he's suffering from a Kevin Nolan style type sudden complete loss of ability that he will never recover from.
Romfordboy
Has liked: 150 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by Romfordboy »

Still think he has lost some pace over the last year which means he is struggling to make a mark on the game.

You see the difference in him vs Scamacca against Diaz… I don’t remember Antonio winning a battle against him while Scamacca held him off and won 3 out of 4 Ariels as well

I like Antonio and he has been great for us but he is a squad player now
daytimedave
Has liked: 273 likes
Total likes: 87 likes

Post by daytimedave »

Romfordboy wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:28 pm

agreed , he was blowing out of his arse by half time
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Romfordboy wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:28 pm Still think he has lost some pace over the last year which means he is struggling to make a mark on the game.

You see the difference in him vs Scamacca against Diaz… I don’t remember Antonio winning a battle against him while Scamacca held him off and won 3 out of 4 Ariels as well

I've got a lot of time for Antonio and he has done an outstanding job for us in both output and commitment.

But you take beast mode out of his game and you are left with far less of a player. He doesn't have the touch or close control for build up play.

He can still massively contribute this season though, but in shorter spells where he doesn't need to hold back.

Scamacca's touch and back to goal yesterday looked encouraging. He looked in control of the situation which is something we lack apart from Rice.
Particularly in a debut, not fully ready and against Man City. I think he will cause teams at our level real problems. Exciting times.
GetUrWangOut
Has liked: 76 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by GetUrWangOut »

Thought we looked poor generally but we did limit City to minimal chances (unfortunately they didn’t need many). So tbh I think the defence and the midfield screen in front did a decent job.

Antonio is getting pelters but we never really had anyone up in support of him. Scamacca came on and looked better but we were losing by then and actually having a go. He looks to be a step up though, really impressive cameo.

I think Lanzini was the worst player on the pitch and in all honestly I’d have brought him off at half time. Genuinely can’t remember him touching the ball. Hopefully Cornet goes left wing and Fornals central from next weekend onwards. Manu off the bench to score the odd wonder goal.

Overall not a great display but City are going to beat some teams 5 or 6 nil this season if Haaland keeps up that level of performance.
GetUrWangOut
Has liked: 76 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by GetUrWangOut »

Also if you take out Bowen and Rice, Grealish probably costs the same as our other 9 starters yesterday. The gulf is between the two teams is huge
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Antonio was clearly carrying an injury.
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by wildkard »

He played about 25 minutes with an injury. No idea why he didn't go off, or why he came back out for the second half. Having said that, before his injury he was more or less as ineffective.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I'm sorry to say it, but from the brief MOTD highlights, even ****ing Bournemoth looked better than us
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

GetUrWangOut wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:41 pm Also if you take out Bowen and Rice, Grealish probably costs the same as our other 9 starters yesterday. The gulf is between the two teams is huge
Rough estimate, reckon our starting 11 cost about £125m (but 4 of those players being about £100m).
But £100 odd million on the bench.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

wildkard wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:12 pm I'm starting to think that he wasn't just knackered last season, but that he's suffering from a Kevin Nolan style type sudden complete loss of ability that he will never recover from.
His compulsion to chuck himself to the ground whenever a defender gets close - which seemed to start midway through last season, I suspect out of tiredness, but now seems to be something he simply can't stop doing - is actually becoming a liability.

I think an extended spell on the bench, hopefully getting a bit of fire back in his belly, would be a massive help.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

The gap between us and Man City has got bigger bigger because they just went out and signed one of the best and most sought after strikers in the game right now. Not to mention the second most promising English midfielder striker (second to the one we have) just to sit on their bench.

The way Haarland played for them against us makes me think they are now the stand out team in England, if not Europe and the world. He is going to take them to another level of dominance in my opinion. He was that good. If they keep him fit and keep feeding him, they could win everything.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Puff Daddy wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:56 pm I'm sorry to say it, but from the brief MOTD highlights, even ****ing Bournemoth looked better than us
Playing a poor Aston Villa side will do that.

What and see how they do against Man City.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:43 am You made the inane and false point that Ederson didn't have a save to make.

That's my point.
what inane and false point.

Ederson picked up a roller that my granny could have saved and they stuck two past our keeper.

you've well and truly lost the plot trying to put a positive spin on yesterdays showing mate.

100%

and I'm the one posting an inane post.

we could go the whole season (figuritively speaking) where our goalie doesn't have to make one save, yet we lose every game. because the oppostion put the ball past him. every time it's on target.

the name of the game is to put the ball into the bloody net. and test the opposition. and the opposing keeper. sometimes a keeper is the difference between winning and losing. putting up bloody ridiculous statistics like Ederson made a save but Areola didn't has ZERO bearing on the outcome. and that "save" - not going to make Save of the Season highlight reels.

the words.

Straws. At. Clutching.

spring to mind from your post. and it's ME who is posting inane stuff.

:crylol:
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Puff Daddy wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:56 pm I'm sorry to say it, but from the brief MOTD highlights, even ****ing Bournemoth looked better than us
Quality of opposition has to be considered.
Our mentality seemed a way off though. Last season we attacked the first half of the season just as the likes of Bournemouth, Fulham etc did this weekend. This season we started like it was just another game in a long line of games that we had to be there for.

That is the worry. We need to get the mentality back that we had start of last season.
Bubbles Fortuna

You said Ederson didn't make a save, he literally did make a save.

Just because Benrahma put a rubbish shot in doesn't suddenly make it a not a save.

He also saved from Scamacca's header, albeit offside.

Fine margins and that's the same amount of shots on target. The difference being they had the best striker in the world up front.
Last edited by Bubbles Fortuna on Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:59 pm Playing a poor Aston Villa side will do that.

What and see how they do against Man City.
They will most likely get turned over as we were, but at least they will give it a go
Bubbles Fortuna

Puff Daddy wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:03 pm They will most likely get turned over as we were, but at least they will give it a go
I'll remind you of this post when they lose 6-0. But hey, at least they gave it a go :asleep:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:03 pm I'll remind you of this post when they lose 6-0. But hey, at least they gave it a go :asleep:
I wont bother arguing with you about that