The Relegation Thread

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1991 likes
Total likes: 4738 likes

Re: The Relegation Thread

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Puff Daddy wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:11 am Thought this required a bump
Why?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:33 am The beeb have a relegation run down on the website. One part of our bit is

Now I get there are attempts on goal and attempts on goal but still overall it's remarkable how this season has got to this point.
The answer to that is that David Moyes. I even blame him for the miserable weather
El brooko79
Has liked: 3024 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:33 am The beeb have a relegation run down on the website. One part of our bit is

Now I get there are attempts on goal and attempts on goal but still overall it's remarkable how this season has got to this point.
Poor quality chances overall all season for me.
Vs Saints previously is a good example. Scamacca had 3 attempts but none of them were particularly good chances. Made something out of little.

Vs Man utd in the league - made a real push late on. But the saves/chances were long range and good efforts from nothing chances.

Vs Villa, out best chances from xG came from set pieces (pen and Aguerd/Zouma).

We have to create more and better from open play.

I don't blame the forwards for missing chances.
I blame the forwards (and midfield/team mentality) for not giving each other better chances.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

El brooko79 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:42 am Poor quality chances overall all season for me.
Vs Saints previously is a good example. Scamacca had 3 attempts but none of them were particularly good chances. Made something out of little.

Vs Man utd in the league - made a real push late on. But the saves/chances were long range and good efforts from nothing chances.

Vs Villa, out best chances from xG came from set pieces (pen and Aguerd/Zouma).

We have to create more and better from open play.

I don't blame the forwards for missing chances.
I blame the forwards (and midfield/team mentality) for not giving each other better chances.
Also, a lot of our attacking play happens after we go a goal behind chasing a game. A lot more hurried rushed efforts that rarely trouble the Keeper. We are poor at working Keepers and the pressure seems to get to us because of it.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

The amount of really good chances where you think to yourself "he should have buried that" or keeper made a great save, that we create when we are drawing a game are very few and far between - especially from open play
we very rarely 'carve open' a defence
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Yep. And it shows when we are having to rely on 5 Penalties, 4 set piece goals and only 15 goals scored from open play, which is the 15th worst in the League. With all our creative and attacking talent in the Squad.

Source:

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/T ... -2022-2023
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

The trouble is a lot of games are still decided by the odd goal so it's all about taking the chances when they come.

With nine teams in a relegation battle it is going to be fine margins in a lot of games.

You create a good chance and don't take it is is going to cost you which is why we are where we are this season.
The Straw
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 1423 likes

Post by The Straw »

Chris Wood getting ruled out for the season might be a problem for Forest.
Colours never run

The Straw wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:31 pm Chris Wood getting ruled out for the season might be a problem for Forest.
Not good. Neither is their continual mammoth injury list that now rises to 15...

https://www.premierinjuries.com/injury-table.php

It was at 11 when we played them.
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1379 likes
Total likes: 999 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

BBC Sport have run a story on the nine teams who could drop and according to their calculations, if you reach 39 points, you're safe. So there it is, 5 wins from 12 or 4 wins and 3 draws and we make it for sure.

We have got 5 of the top 6 but we've also got Southampton, Bournemouth, Palace and Leicester.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 332 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Here’s a bet I actually want to lose.

I’ve a tenner on us to go down at 4/1. Very generous odds, I think, given everyone else is picking up points and our run in includes Arsenal, Newcastle, Man City and MU.
WestHamLyallStyle

Westbourne Bill wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:46 pm Here’s a bet I actually want to lose.

I’ve a tenner on us to go down at 4/1. Very generous odds, I think, given everyone else is picking up points and our run in includes Arsenal, Newcastle, Man City and MU.
I'm not sure 40 notes will ease the pain Bill. Lump on, the shirt on your back, the lot.

:crossed:
Last edited by WestHamLyallStyle on Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

WestHamLyallStyle wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:50 pm BBC Sport have run a story on the nine teams who could drop and according to their calculations, if you reach 39 points, you're safe. So there it is, 5 wins from 12 or 4 wins and 3 draws and we make it for sure.

We have got 5 of the top 6 but we've also got Southampton, Bournemouth, Palace and Leicester.
Touch and go, I think. We have only won 6 all season
WestHamLyallStyle

Puff Daddy wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:33 pm Touch and go, I think. We have only won 6 all season
Absolutely.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

WestHamLyallStyle wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:37 pm Absolutely.
Yes and I also don't understand why it is, the bookies have such faith in us? Current odds, 4/1, these will drop to evens or even odds on, should we lose on Sunday
Zman39
Has liked: 103 likes
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by Zman39 »

Weird stat. So basically every team has a very similar amount in attempts created/defended
goa127
Has liked: 451 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

Colours never run wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:45 pm Yep. And it shows when we are having to rely on 5 Penalties, 4 set piece goals and only 15 goals scored from open play, which is the 15th worst in the League. With all our creative and attacking talent in the Squad.

Source:

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/T ... -2022-2023
15th worst in the division? As we're currently 18th in the league that statistic seems completely unremarkable
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Post by funky chicken »

We do create chances, albeit not as much as we should thanks to our attackers killing what feels like every final pass they can. And when the chances are actually presented to our midfield and attack, they choke in front of goal, whether that’s through a lack of bottle or a lack of quality.

Despite us doing better defensively, when we do concede it’s rarely through sheer quality from the opposition. It’s been utter comedic defending for the majority of the season. Well, it would be funny if it wasn’t our own team! We may as well have worn a Grimsby shirt during our 4-0 defeat to Brighton, as it was just as easy for Brighton in both those games.

In terms of clean sheets, we have a grand total of 4 in 26 Premier League games. Yep, FOUR.

The less said of our away form the better.

When you concede as many cheap goals as we do and struggle to put the ball in the back of the net, you’re only going to be finishing up one end of the table. We are without question exactly where we deserve to be.

The good news is we still have 12 league games to go to put that right and make sure we’re still a Premier League club for next season, starting with this Sunday’s game.

Let’s see how much our players really want it.
rigoberts song
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 346 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

The usual can't score can't defend and playing fear football under Moyes will cost us.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2184 likes
Total likes: 1380 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Deleted post