The Relegation Thread

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Re: The Relegation Thread

Post by Knighter10WHU »

WoodvaleOne wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:11 pm Tbh it's pretty easy for away sides at present.

And I for one would be more inclined to go to the Souless Bowl.
Less tourists, more 3pm ko, hopefully cheaper and available tickets ... and we might win a few games
We wouldn’t get many 3pm kick offs, Sky would have us on most weeks so get used to Friday evening games.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

hammers92 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:59 pm That’s not the point I was moving towards. In the championship we had an average attendance of around 29/30k a week.

Fans will desert Stratford in their thousands if we dropped and it’ll be easy pickings for away sides taking points in a stadium that’s 50% full. Tag on the fact we don’t own the ground and I think it will be very, very difficult to come back immediately.
Yeah, I wasn't actually suggesting you would be the author of said posts. I can't argue with your other points. I know a few families who have group ST's over there, presently. One or two of the tickets forming the groups will be dropped, if we go down, which is unsurprising, really.

Night games against small-ish Championship clubs of during the working week will probably suffer the most.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

hammers92 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:49 pm One thing I will say, if we did go down, we won’t be coming back for a long time.

We’re not at Upton Park anymore, playing in that stadium down there will cost us points immediately.
Maine Road wasn’t far off being full when we were in the third division. It’s when I first started going. Now look at us.

Whilst I don’t think you’ll go down, Burnley brought in Vincent Kompany and their football has been exceptional.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

For the sake of argument, if we did actually break our run next weekend and finally win a league match, there could end up being a block of clubs, with between 15-22 points, stretching from bottom to 12th place.

A right royal ruckus to stay up.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by hammers92 »

prophet:marginal wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:33 pm For the sake of argument, if we did actually break our run next weekend and finally win a league match, there could end up being a block of clubs, with between 15-22 points, stretching from bottom to 12th place.

A right royal ruckus to stay up.
Add in the fact we’re still in two cup competitions.

Ya’ll wanted entertainment right?!
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 293 likes
Total likes: 495 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

PK wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:11 pm Playing Championship football in a half empty soulless bowl is a truly terrifying thought that I hope to never experience
Well sorry mate, but I reckon in a few month's time that's what we're getting ....
We_are_BML
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by We_are_BML »

Lived the dream last year in Europe as much as relegation will be a disaster got to live out a dream last year so I'm happy
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:28 pm Maine Road wasn’t far off being full when we were in the third division. It’s when I first started going. Now look at us.

Whilst I don’t think you’ll go down, Burnley brought in Vincent Kompany and their football has been exceptional.
Maine Road was a football stadium. When we went down before we had a packed Upton Park making plenty of boise. It wont be the same at the bowl.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Thing about relegation is you need to be really really turd to go down as you are given many chances to fix the situation you're in.
We probably need 6 wins from 19 games. Surely we can't be this bad in the 2nd half of the season.
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:45 pm Thing about relegation is you need to be really really turd to go down as you are given many chances to fix the situation you're in.
We probably need 6 wins from 19 games. Surely we can't be this bad in the 2nd half of the season.
For us to improve something needs to change. There is no evidence to suggest that either the board or the manager are going to change anything.
We had 3 'must win' games against our relegation rivals. We have drawn 1 and lost 1, so far. Unless one of the Everton defenders makes a mistake when one of the crosses comes in on Saturday, we wont get a win then either.
The next 3 fixtures, after Saturday, are against Newcastle, Chelsea and Spurs, we will lose all 3.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 163 likes
Total likes: 1094 likes

Post by Rio »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:28 pm Maine Road wasn’t far off being full when we were in the third division. It’s when I first started going. Now look at us.

Problem bring that we’ve alienated and lost a fair wedge of old school fans with the move to Stratford. Will many of those who’ve replaced them be prepared for the slog of the Championship? I have my doubts.

While I’ve constantly said we’ve got a far bigger fanbase than even some of our give credit for, there’s only so many elements you can lose. And that’s without the tourism aspect of support who want to see City & Liverpool etc. not Coventry & Luton
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I’d argue your attendances are still fairly high. It always looks almost full on tv etc. Although I am talking blindly.

Fans tend to watch a winning team at any level.
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1364 likes
Total likes: 762 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:03 pm I’d argue your attendances are still fairly high. It always looks almost full on tv etc. Although I am talking blindly.

Around second or third highest occupancy in the third largest stadium so great in the PL, but 30-35k in a stadium with potential 66k capacity ( 62.5k now) would be a very different look, we’d probably close some of the upper tier. We need to stay up!
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 163 likes
Total likes: 1094 likes

Post by Rio »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:03 pm I’d argue your attendances are still fairly high. It always looks almost full on tv etc. Although I am talking blindly.

Winning being the problem
hessa
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by hessa »

Coops wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:33 pm Maine Road was a football stadium. When we went down before we had a packed Upton Park making plenty of boise. It wont be the same at the bowl.
Our average attemdance in the Championship last time around was 30.923, decent, but I wouldn't call it packed.
I get your point though, we get relegated now in the bowl, we'll be way down percentage wise on capacity attendance.

Let's be honest, at the Bowl we sold lots of season tickets to fans who would never have gone to watch West Ham in the Championship. You could have got a season ticket at Upton Park any other season than the last one. Which was a combintaion of, we were doing well, and it was our last season there and everyone got misty eyed about the place.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2179 likes
Total likes: 1378 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

We were all really excited under Pardew. Thought we were going places. Then, not just a small blip, but a complete collapse off a cliff edge.

And now this. How does this happen?

We go from being a great team even Man City were scared of to one at the bottom of the league who cant buy a goal. To players being looked at by the top six, to ones who we can't get rid of quick enough.

We are cursed.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

bonzosbeard wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:20 am

We are cursed.
Naa, we are just really poorly run, and have been for, well, most of the time. Even when we got a money group in they went bust :lol: So I guess there is a slight curse to us..

League table looks like the mid teams are breaking away a little, so 3 from about 8 at the moment. All be it usually 1 team goes on a stupendously bad losing streak from the mid group and 1 of the **** team goes on a winning streak.
Monkey Magic
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Monkey Magic »

bonzosbeard wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:20 am We were all really excited under Pardew. Thought we were going places. Then, not just a small blip, but a complete collapse off a cliff edge.

And now this. How does this happen?

We go from being a great team even Man City were scared of to one at the bottom of the league who cant buy a goal. To players being looked at by the top six, to ones who we can't get rid of quick enough.

We are cursed.
It’s not just us. Look at Liverpool this season. Different circumstances obviously, but the gist is the same.
Hammerted
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by Hammerted »

Bournemouth
Everton
Southampton
Nottingham Forest
Wolves
Leeds United
Leicester City

Do people genuinely believe that we are not better than at least three of the above? The bookies are currently quoting all as being more likely to be relegated than us.

Any talk of relegation is nonsense and serves as nothing other than a distraction to our victorious march across Europe.

COYI
The_Dead_Ball
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by The_Dead_Ball »

Off the top of my head I think we been relegated in each of the last five decades? 70s,80s,90s,00s and 10s. Amazingly in each decade we played a semi final in a cup and from the fact that English clubs were banned from Europe during the 80s we would had played in every in Europe in each decade too.

So as far as the 20s we done the semi and Europe. Just one more to complete the hattrick