The Relegation Thread

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1991 likes
Total likes: 4738 likes

Re: The Relegation Thread

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Part of me wants a 95th minute equaliser to send Leicester down.

It'd be funny.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Leeds somehow being the ones to survive would be best in terms of getting rid of two potential rivals for a top ten finish going forward.

Everton and Leicester do seem to have a slightly higher potential to get their act together in the coming years then Leeds do.

Luton/Coventry, Sheff Utd, Burnley, Leeds, Forest, Bournemouth, Palace, Wolves, Fulham and even Brentford to a degree are all clubs we should be looking to finish above with some degree of comfort.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 689 likes
Total likes: 2031 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

MAC08 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:09 am If we were still on 34 points though it would mean that Leeds had beaten us and so they would also be on 34 points now too.

Also our GD would be a little bit worse off (after 2 games with no wins) with Leicester still to play.

Correct. It’s what some of us said at the time. Having to play Leeds and Leicester skewed things. Basically, for us to have been on 34 now would have us far from safe. As Leeds would be on 34 with us and our GD would have to be a minimum of 5 worse off than it is now. That would have us on 34 on a best case GD of -17 going into a game against Leicester, that would have us drop if we lost it. It might look like 34 would be enough, but it simply couldn’t have been. We simply couldn’t have given 3 points to Leeds and Leicester and with a worse GD than Leicester and stayed up on 34.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Relegation battle this weekend has the potential to be a very exciting watch, but I have a feeling it will just end as a damp squib due to the lack of quality and sides remain as they are.
Bubbles Murray
Location: 200 miles due north of Mecca ( Bingo Hall, Barking Road )
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Bubbles Murray »

The events in Bournemouth in 1990 must have a few Cherries fans hoping for a loss at Everton.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2020 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Leeds will go down because Kane will score at least one and, even though Spurs' defence is poor, they won't concede more than once.

Leicester will go down because we've still got the pep in our pepper and we won't just hand them the initiative.

Everton will stay up because they will have enough to beat Bournemouth who, having got to safety, have reverted to type and lost three on the bounce.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

Leicester last night was baffling, a point does nothing really but three points would've put them into the lead going into the final day, it took 80 minutes for them to have a shot
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Sunday, is going to be one of those topsy-turvy, days .First one team drops in it , then out of it, then a other is in the **** and so on and so forth
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2494 likes
Total likes: 4396 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

fmgod wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:51 pm Leicester last night was baffling, a point does nothing really but three points would've put them into the lead going into the final day, it took 80 minutes for them to have a shot
It might look inspired by Sunday evening if Everton fail to beat Bournemouth (they've lost twice to them already this year) and Leicester beat us (which they did in November).

It's a gamble but puts Everton in a position where a draw may be inadequate.

They were obviously petrified of getting rinsed last night by playing too open - Newcastle beat them 3-0 in December.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 158 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Puff Daddy wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:51 pm Sunday, is going to be one of those topsy-turvy, days .First one team drops in it , then out of it, then a other is in the **** and so on and so forth
Well it's certainly going to be more exciting than the top end of the table.

And the nice thing is we have a say in it. Keeps it interesting.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:03 pm It might look inspired by Sunday evening if Everton fail to beat Bournemouth (they've lost twice to them already this year) and Leicester beat us (which they did in November).

It's a gamble but puts Everton in a position where a draw may be inadequate.

They were obviously petrified of getting rinsed last night by playing too open - Newcastle beat them 3-0 in December.
I don't think it will, I'd rather have it in my own hands and would back Everton to beat an off the beach Bouremouth

That was fine playing tight but at least last 20 go forward
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 762 likes
Total likes: 3498 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Safe to say it isn't looking good for Leeds...

Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 158 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Option 9 please.
Dieter Eckstein
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 286 likes

Post by Dieter Eckstein »

If Leicester do beat us, I'd love to see Everton go down. They will seriously deserve it too, if they can't make the most of Bournemouth at home. On paper, it's the dream final day fixture.

Fully expecting Everton to be 2/3 goals up within half an hour, though - courtesy of a surprise return to football from Hans Segers.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Bubbles Murray wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:21 am The events in Bournemouth in 1990 must have a few Cherries fans hoping for a loss at Everton.
I was living in Bournemouth at the time and even set off to go to the game, until I got to the point where I could see the ground across KIngs Park and spoke to a couple of coppers about what was happening. Dirty Leeds and their scummy families on the rampage, fighting, wrecking and stealing all weekend. Just one of the reasons that I want them to be relegated, hopefully right out of the football league.
miles
This site...
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 421 likes

Post by miles »

Hate that we're the ones playing Leicester. I want Everton to go, they've gotten away with it for far too long. :furrow:
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 179 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

Everton have to be favourites to stay up, so in a spirit of fairness and covering all odds, I will gracefully accept them being relegated next season due to a points deduction for their FFP cheating, hopefully to be jointed by Chelsea and Man City.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

AnthraxDave wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:26 am I can see something ridiculous happening next weekend.

Like Everton and Leeds both winning 1-0 and Leicester being 0-0 with us with 5mins remaining. Both the former then concede and Leicester score a 95th minute winner. Cue crying Scousers and Dirty Leeds tears. It is going to be interesting to watch from a "semi-neutral" kind of way. I have Everton neighbours both sides - I shall sit in the garden and listen to their anguish.

Obviously, I hope results can go in our favour and we overtake Chelsea. That would be delicious.
Think there will be more goals than that. Final days are often goalfests. Leicester must beat us and Leeds need to win, probably by a few goals, so both will be going for it giving plenty of chances to us and Apurs to score goals too.

I reckon Everton 2-1 Bournemouth, Leicester 2-2 West Ham and Leeds 1-3 Spurs. A few twists in there though before it's finally settled.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1318 likes

Post by davids cross »

Think Everton's home game with Bournemouth is a bit more tricky than many pundits are predicting.

Tremendous pressure on a very poor side....lacking their only striker. Think this result is more dependent on Bournemouth than Everton.....Their saving grace is that I don't think Leicester will win.
londonsi76
Has liked: 88 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by londonsi76 »

I mevwr want us to lose any match but if we lose this one and win the Euro Conference Final and it sends Everton down I'll be more than pleased with that.
Leicester have shown all football fans that anything is possible and I personally wish them no ill will. Would much prefer Everton in the championship. Leeds I have no feelings for either way