The Relegation Thread

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Re: The Relegation Thread

Post by BondsoBob »

The_Dead_Ball wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:06 pm Off the top of my head I think we been relegated in each of the last five decades? 70s,80s,90s,00s and 10s. Amazingly in each decade we played a semi final in a cup and from the fact that English clubs were banned from Europe during the 80s we would had played in every in Europe in each decade too.

So as far as the 20s we done the semi and Europe. Just one more to complete the hattrick
We did play in europe in the 80's. We got to the quater finals of the ECWC 1980/81.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

One win takes you from bottom up to 14th as it stands!
Bonkers!

Forest having 20 pts at the half way stage may be enough to keep them out of it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a collapse there.

Anyone in that bottom 8 could realistically drop and equally pull away from it with a decent run.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

There needs to be even a small improvement in our performances to stay up, and I can't see any potential for that.
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

irving boleyn wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:18 pm There needs to be even a small improvement in our performances to stay up, and I can't see any potential for that.
This is the issue, we are not doing anything different. Nothing looks like it is about to change. I have pretty much resigned myself to relegation.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

irving boleyn wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:18 pm There needs to be even a small improvement in our performances to stay up, and I can't see any potential for that.
There is huge potential for it. How realistic that potential is, different question.

A team with the likes of Kehrer, Zouma, Aguerd, Rice, Paqueta, Bowen, Benrahma and Scammaca should be doing far better than ours currently is as they are all decent international level players.
irving boleyn

Post by irving boleyn »

They all have question marks against them,apart from Rice.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Rice isn't exempt from that as things stand.

Crazy to say it as he is one of the best talents in the world for his position and an England captain for years to come. But you would not know it having watched him in the past few weeks.

Let me be clear, I am not turning on Rice, nor am I on the other players mentioned. I do expect to see more from them all though.
Garry
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by Garry »

I don't think no club should be relegated especially if they have been established for a long while we have 11 years everton have much longer even Southampton I don't know how long they have been in the premiership but something as gone badly wrong with these clubs to be in this position.
irving boleyn

Post by irving boleyn »

Just a very average mainly old bunch of players that aren't being lifted by Noble any more.
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

Garry wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:57 pm I don't think no club should be relegated especially if they have been established for a long while we have 11 years everton have much longer even Southampton I don't know how long they have been in the premiership but something as gone badly wrong with these clubs to be in this position.
Garry - the Saints got promoted back to the Premier the same season we did under Big Sam.

We went up by winning the play offs and Reading and Southampton were the automatic promotion places.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

was nice for a couple of seasons to look at this thread and not have to worry about us being mentioned in it. Now we're back at centre stage.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:56 pm was nice for a couple of seasons to look at this thread and not have to worry about us being mentioned in it. Now we're back at centre stage.
Was thinking that yesterday.

It's either boom or bust for us, nothing in between.
thamesideiron
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 197 likes

Post by thamesideiron »

Much as I hated and would hate to "Drop"..
When was doing the home/away every game thing,not so much any more...was a good crack going to different Towns/Clubs on the away
days...

Clutching at Straws I think that's called..... :lol:
S-H

Post by S-H »

When do the discussions start about 'it could be good for us' or 'Gives us chance to rebuild and start again' or 'Clear the deadwood'
The Terminator
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by The Terminator »

It could be good for us, gives us chance to rebuild and start again, clear the deadwood.
S-H

Post by S-H »

The Terminator wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:08 pm It could be good for us, gives us chance to rebuild and start again, clear the deadwood.
I agree.
The_Dead_Ball
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 68 likes

Post by The_Dead_Ball »

BondsoBob wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:10 pm We did play in europe in the 80's. We got to the quater finals of the ECWC 1980/81.
Of course. I stand corrected. Cheers
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Hammerted wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:05 pm Bournemouth
Everton
Southampton
Nottingham Forest
Wolves
Leeds United
Leicester City

Do people genuinely believe that we are not better than at least three of the above? The bookies are currently quoting all as being more likely to be relegated than us.

Any talk of relegation is nonsense and serves as nothing other than a distraction to our victorious march across Europe.

COYI
We can add Palace to that list, according to mates of mine who support them...
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Hammerted wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:05 pm Bournemouth
Everton
Southampton
Nottingham Forest
Wolves
Leeds United
Leicester City

In the 8 games against these teams so far, we have managed 8 points. So I’m not sure we are better than any of them at the moment. The upside is that none of them probably think they are better than us. To assume we should easily finish above most of these, considering our fixtures against them so far is probably not wise.
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

The Terminator wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:08 pm It could be good for us, gives us chance to rebuild and start again, clear the deadwood.
Problem is, who are the deadwood ?

My concerns would be that the flair players we’ve got would leave and we would be left with the deadwood. Your likes of Cresswell, Fabianski, Ogbonna, Coufal and Antonio would stay. Aguerd, Paqueta, Scamacca, Fornals, Rice and Bowen would all leave.

We would probably have the following,.

Areola, Fabianski

Johnson, Zouma, Kehrer, Cresswell, Coufal

Downes, Lanzini, Soucek, Cornet, Benrahma, Masuaku

That is a hell of a building job to do and the issue is that even in the championship you need pace. Apart from Cornet, there’s absolutely none in the list above.

We would get a lot less for the “names” than they’re worth as well.

Nope, for me we got to stay up. If you want a rebuild, that can be done in the PL. you don’t need to get relegated to do that…