✍ Welcome Maxwel Cornet

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Re: ✍ Maxwel Cornet

Post by prophet:marginal »

Hugh Jargon wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:15 am Love the way everyone is coping a blind one to his questionable age.
What do you know about his age that contradicts the suggestion that he was 3 and a half when first arriving in France?
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1992 likes
Total likes: 4743 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
Oldun
Has liked: 172 likes
Total likes: 563 likes

Post by Oldun »

Hugh Jargon wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:15 am Love the way everyone is coping a blind one to his questionable age.

This bloke is a compromise. Not top of the managers wish list I suspect. Experiance tells me that often leads to a great signing. Antonio being my example.
It’s not an under 8s game when all the parents reckon he is a ringer .
Heysel76
Has liked: 215 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:38 am In what way is 25 a questionable age?

Edit: oh, you're just being racist. I get it now.
Eh? Just see what Misko posted, it's not racist, it's a factual observation
Bubbles Fortuna

Heysel76 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:44 am Eh? Just see what Misko posted, it's not racist, it's a factual observation
Vague accusations that a player of African descent is lying about his age.

I've heard that story before :asleep:
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3203 likes
Total likes: 2331 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:49 am Vague accusations that a player of African descent is lying about his age.

I've heard that story before :asleep:
Yeah, I think we can acknowledge it's an established racist trope.

Cornet reportedly moved to France when he was 3.

So, if the conspiracy theory here is correct, his parents pretended that a 6 year old was a 3 year old on the basis that he might one day have a chance to become a professional footballer? And no one in France noticed that a 6yo was pretending to be a 3yo for unspecified future benefit?

There's quite a difference!
Heysel76
Has liked: 215 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

:zzz:
Misko
Has liked: 492 likes
Total likes: 1391 likes

Post by Misko »

In all fairness, there is absolutely no reason to believe the suspicions are well founded. First of all, it generally happens for teenage players who are in fact full grown ups when they join youth academies. Then, Côte d'Ivoire is normally reliable for this kind of things, more than some of the countries of the region. And more than anything, how much can you cheat about the age of a 3 year old? One or two years tops, no? And why would you do that?

So, I would stick with the official story, there is no good reason not to believe it, imo.
SullySpecial
Has liked: 263 likes
Total likes: 648 likes

Post by SullySpecial »

If you saw a young white kid that was taller than the rest of his/her class, you wouldn’t ever accuse them of being older than they are supposed to be.

However, if it’s a black kid then it seems for some that the only explanation is that they are lying about their age. It’s an absolute disgrace. No wonder society is broken, and there’s so much mistrust between different races here and in other parts of the world.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3203 likes
Total likes: 2331 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

SullySpecial wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:08 am If you saw a young white kid that was taller than the rest of his/her class, you wouldn’t ever accuse them of being older than they are supposed to be.
Gonna start a rumour that Haaland is actually 29.
jastons
Has liked: 902 likes
Total likes: 859 likes

Post by jastons »

Why should I question his age?
BigFatSam
Has liked: 209 likes
Total likes: 1093 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

Let’s just leave the age rubbish here. Either way I couldn’t careless. He’s a West Ham player and seems a very nice bloke to boot.

This type of discussion is walking a tight rope I think is best avoided.
Misko
Has liked: 492 likes
Total likes: 1391 likes

Post by Misko »

BigFatSam wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:36 am Let’s just leave the age rubbish here. Either way I couldn’t careless. He’s a West Ham player and seems a very nice bloke to boot.

This type of discussion is walking a tight rope I think is best avoided.
I fully agree. I regret now that I mentioned it, but it was part of his bio... Anyway, as you said, he's a great bloke, and I'm pretty you'll love the energy he brings on the pitch.
Bubbles Fortuna

SullySpecial wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:08 am If you saw a young white kid that was taller than the rest of his/her class, you wouldn’t ever accuse them of being older than they are supposed to be.

However, if it’s a black kid then it seems for some that the only explanation is that they are lying about their age. It’s an absolute disgrace. No wonder society is broken, and there’s so much mistrust between different races here and in other parts of the world.
To be fair, when I was 13-16 playing Sunday League, our striker was absolutely massive with the startings of a beard and we all joked that he was a ringer.

He wasn't, I went to school with him and he was my age.

Terrible footballer, but a giant and absolutely rapid so stick him up front against a 13 year old CB and we got a lot not joy.

Edit: For clarity he was white.
GetUrWangOut
Has liked: 80 likes
Total likes: 85 likes

Post by GetUrWangOut »

Misko wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:49 am I fully agree. I regret now that I mentioned it, but it was part of his bio... Anyway, as you said, he's a great bloke, and I'm pretty you'll love the energy he brings on the pitch.
If you rate him Misko that’s good enough for me! Really excited by this signing personally. Brings extra pace and is quality on the ball too. Seems to have the workrate needed and at £17.5m is an absolute bargain. If he gets another 10 goals this season (which I think is very possible) he’s worth £40m
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
Last edited by Hugh Jargon on Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Why are you questioning his age?

No need for insults. Just explain why you are questioning it and calling out the rest of us for not doing so.
DrVenk
Has liked: 362 likes
Total likes: 469 likes

Post by DrVenk »

To be fair, my Tinder profile has a much larger margin of error for my age now I'm over 40.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

prophet:marginal wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:57 am Why are you questioning his age?

No need for insults. Just explain why you are questioning it and calling out the rest of us for not doing so.
See above. French allegations. Being ignored because of people being oversensitive.
I'm no racist. I deserve an apology

But that won't happen. So I'm gonna fight my corner.
Bubbles Fortuna

Hugh Jargon wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:00 pm See above. French allegations. Being ignored because of people being oversensitive.
I'm no racist. I deserve an apology

But that won't happen. So I'm gonna fight my corner.
It's being ignored because it was and still is nonsense.

Completely unfounded or he'd have been done for it.