Nottingham Forest 1-0 West Ham Utd (14/8/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

thamesideiron
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 197 likes

Re: ⚽ Nottingham Forest v West Ham United: match thread

Post by thamesideiron »

Bearing in mind we weren't really on top of our game yesterday,few reasons,Heat...Forest first PL game in a 150 years,they and fans
were really fired up,prob wont play a better game all season...the old gem we have only one CB...etc.
I'll give us 6.5/10 maybe a bit higher,did play some nice stuff at times.
Thing is you play exactly the same game,the ball moves half an inch in a different direction couple times.. Dec sticks it away as he would
9/10 times...we Win 1-3 I give us 8/10,and were all happy saying how well we played.....Funny old game at times.... :lol:

Notice when Scamacca and Lanza came on,the game just broke up with no flow,game was stopped another 4 times for subs,Forest stopping
the game 3 times in 10 minutes for subs...this subbing thing is now more about killing a game as about football tactics,throw in a couple
fake hamstring pulls and a bit of face holding,last 20 of games is becoming a hard watch.

Hate Losing and I mean really hate... :lol: but not to dissapointed at moment, think we're gonna have another decent season...

Not Gonna happen don't think,but would like to see Mickey,Scamacca,Bowen as a front three given a try,but cos of the amount of
attacking MFs we have,Ben,Lanza,Fornals,now Cornet,would mean only one of those gets in,so like said, shame but won't happen.
Hoping Downes gets some gametime as well, have a feeling he's gonna be good for us,Conor C as well to come in,Ashby can start if needed,
Looks like another CB incoming...get everyone fit and firing despite whats being said by some, it's not a bad squad we have.

Love you Cress...but a PL ready **** hot left back,would make a huge difference to us.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

thamesideiron wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:30 pm Forest stopping the game 3 times in 10 minutes for subs...this subbing thing is now more about killing a game as about football tactics,throw in a couple fake hamstring pulls and a bit of face holding,last 20 of games is becoming a hard watch.
At one point yesterday Forest had a player who collided with a West Ham player. We tried to get on with the game and the Forest player hobbled around a bit. Then the ref blew his whistle so the Forest player could sit down. It was infuriating.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

thamesideiron wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:30 pm Love you Cress...but a PL ready **** hot left back,would make a huge difference to us.
sorry but what did cresswell have to do with the goal that was conceded?
Last edited by Up the Junction on Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote edited.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Just watched the highlights.

How on earth did Soucek not score that header?
maccav
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by maccav »

fjthegrey wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:35 am If the Forest defenders hand hadn't come out, he'd have been completely unsighted for it as well. That's the bit I'm struggling with, the argument that the keeper was behind the defender so it wasn't a clearly denied goal doesn't follow logic. The defender being in front of the keeper makes it much less likely it would have been saved.
The missing read card was a weird one. If referees in our Europe campaign last year had taken yesterday's approach Cresswell would not be sent off (twice), as both times we had a goalkeeper in place to possibly save any potential shot.
Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

Just watched it again on MOTD2.

1. We were bloody unlucky not to win that comfortably.

2. The TV highlights were basically the Benrahma show. Just needs to do it every week now.

3. Antonio was an absolute twat barging the defender like that.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:42 pm Just watched the highlights.

I said that earlier. If he had headed it low, just inside the post,it was a goal
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

We were perfectly fine down the left hand side of the pitch yesterday with Cresswell and Benrahma.

We were rubbish out on the right hand side of the pitch. I was hoping we'd try and address that imbalance during the window but sadly it looks as though we've focused mainly on left footed players.

I'm really hoping that, if we get Kehrer, it's with a view with him playing as our right back long term rather than in a back 3.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:42 pm Just watched the highlights.

Combination of the header of a player lacking confidence and the reactions of a very agile keeper. Probably goes in during training!
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

steps wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:27 pm This is how I see it. That Soucek shot was going in as the keeper was unsighted by the defender. If the defender didn’t intentionally stop the shot with his arm there’s a high percentage that it ends up in the net. It’s a red card all day.

The ref didn’t even consider this and let’s be honest, he was very generous to Forest with the disallowed goal. It’s because Forest stopped playing and started waving their arms about and getting in his ear which put doubt in his mind, lots of teams do that.
tbf the ref didn't give a foul for our disallowed goal
VAR did (well they told him to take another look, which is basically the same thing)
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

I just looked and see that there next home game is Spurs ,I can see them ripping Forest a new arseole and putting 6 past them.
They won’t get so much luck a second time.
maccav
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by maccav »

Puff Daddy wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:04 pm I said that earlier. If he had headed it low, just inside the post,it was a goal
My first reaction was he's got to score that, but I'm more sympathetic having seen replays. The ball bounced stupidly high from the crossbar, it then takes an age to drop, without much pace, delaying the header and increasing the difficulty.

The lack of pace means he has to generate a lot himself. To save time, and ensure he's there first Soucek heads the ball at the highest point he can reach, which restricts powers and direction. The added effort of generating power makes directing it more difficult, so the header is forward and straight rather than low and wide. However the bigger issue is high bounce of the ball has allowed the goalkeeper more time to recover. He is on his feet and ready to dive again before the ball is near Soucek.

It still takes a decent save to stop us scoring, but in the end the bounce made the difference between a good chance and a tap in.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Way, way too rational when judging Tomas 'the witch' Soucek, on here.
Major
%&!$
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by Major »

Can i just say, i thoroughly enjoyed my time in Nottingham, great day and night out and ive still got a headache.

I might just do some more aways this year, the lads have been harassing me and calling me a pussy ! :grin:

Re the game i thought they played alright and were pretty unlucky, Benny was mustard, Thomas had a but of a mare and the skipper also had a stinker.

They will be alright with a few additions (ha ha ha ha) and sped the play up a bit. Oh Lingard is a prick.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

maccav wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:40 pm My first reaction was he's got to score that, but I'm more sympathetic having seen replays. The ball bounced stupidly high from the crossbar, it then takes an age to drop, without much pace, delaying the header and increasing the difficulty.

The lack of pace means he has to generate a lot himself. To save time, and ensure he's there first Soucek heads the ball at the highest point he can reach, which restricts powers and direction. The added effort of generating power makes directing it more difficult, so the header is forward and straight rather than low and wide. However the bigger issue is high bounce of the ball has allowed the goalkeeper more time to recover. He is on his feet and ready to dive again before the ball is near Soucek.

It still takes a decent save to stop us scoring, but in the end the bounce made the difference between a good chance and a tap in.
Agree with that I right in line with it as was stood behind the corner flag.

It was a chance for sure, but it was made awkward for Soucek which I think tipped the odds in the keepers favour
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

I finally got round to watching the highlights. Our chances:

- Soucek rebound from Benrahma shot blocked on line.
- Benrahma goal wrongly disallowed
- Fornals hit bar then Soucek rebound saved
- Benrahma free kick hit the bar
- McKenna deliberately blocking a goalbound Soucek shot but only getting a yellow card.
- Rice missed penalty
- Zouma header from corner blocked on line

On another day - when it isn’t Forest’s first home game in the PL in 20 odd years and they haven’t got the officials on side - we score 5 or 6 here and won comfortably.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Centre Half wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:31 pm Agree with that I right in line with it as was stood behind the corner flag.

It was a chance for sure, but it was made awkward for Soucek which I think tipped the odds in the keepers favour
It was more of a quality save, than a Soucek miss.
goingunderground
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by goingunderground »

sendô wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:32 pm I finally got round to watching the highlights.
One of those games. If Paltrow misses the train, we win 5-0.
Last edited by Up the Junction on Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote edited.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Colours never run wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:41 pm It was more of a quality save, than a Soucek miss.
A bit of both imo. He had all the time in the world to place that header right into the corner and at a less comfortable height. It was a great save though.
e20too
Has liked: 665 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by e20too »

MB wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:12 pm Combination of the header of a player lacking confidence and the reactions of a very agile keeper. Probably goes in during training!
He clearly thought the goalkeeper was effectively out of the action due to the previous attempt when he wasn’t I’m afraid and thus just concentrated on getting it on target into what he thought was purely an u guarded part of the goal.