Nottingham Forest 1-0 West Ham Utd (14/8/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Joffrey
Has liked: 110 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Re: ⚽ Nottingham Forest v West Ham United: match thread

Post by Joffrey »

Colours never run wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:28 am That should be effectively Rice's role to play in the Team in Nobles absence now and did so during last season. And I have no worries he'll not be able to step up to the mark again this season to do so.
Just need a defensive midfielder to play alongside him.
Iron-on-transfer
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 260 likes

Post by Iron-on-transfer »

Mullhull wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:23 am It's always the way mate, managers aren't going to go we were lucky today got a lucky goal too.
Yeah mate I know. I'm an oldie you see. I just thought he might have said something more like "we rode our luck at times but we got through it in the end". Just call me Steve Naive. :grin:
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1151 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Mullhull wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:23 am It's always the way mate, managers aren't going to go we were lucky today got a lucky goal too.
Certainly one of the luckiest/worst goals I've ever seen.
And I swear that Steve Cooper is somehow related to :arry: ....
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

Post-match thoughts:

Great match to watch - end to end stuff, give me that any day of the week compared to a borefest.

Forest did really well - esp. first 25 minutes or so. MOTM for me was one of three - Henderson in goal, (Nico?) Williams, or the crossbar. The first two played great and stood out from the crowd. Good luck to them both. The third was a bit static and stoic for me but what do I know. Forest came out of the blocks raring to go and had us looking like mugs for the first 25 minutes or so - no-one but us to blame for that.

As for us:
Benhrama was great on the wing. Did very well. Really enjoyed Soucek game's today, too.
Bowen was nowhere. Need more from him for us to play well. When he disappears we always struggle.
Really missing Dawson / Ogbonna at the back.

Furious at the missed penalty - cost us the point. Keeper did great to save it but Rice made the penalty save-able. IIRC it's not the first time he's lost his nerve from the penalty spot. FWIW Bonzo was crap at penalties as well.

Couldn't care less about who 'deserved' to win - bottom line is despite the crossbar, goal line clearances or what colour undies your grandma was wearing we came away with zilch. Next time out we need to recognise when the ref gives that big long peeep at the start of the match, that's when we have to start playing.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Ironing Board wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:40 pm Is it? We have a lot of internationals at the moment. Rice and Bowen both look a bit off their usual form. In a months time we might be looking far better.

It would be interesting to see how the other internationals are faring at the moment.
That's a fair question. Even Harry Kane looked pants yesterday until he popped up in the 96th minute to get his nut on the end of a brilliant corner kick
Billy Bonds boots
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Billy Bonds boots »

Sorry guys, for me coufal ain't the same player that signed he seems slower commits silly fouls and can't seem to get a decent cross in like he did when he first joined him and soucek seemed to have lost there way recently :thup:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Nottingham Forest 1-0 West Ham United (by Chris Wilkerson)
https://www.kumb.com/report.php?id=121378
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

For some reason, I couldn't be bothered to mooch down the pub last afternoon. Can't put my finger on why.

Anyway, I watched MotD2 after reading up on the match thread and was pleasantly surprised about the number of chances we fashioned, further to the sterile efforts we displayed against Man City (who are menacingly better than last season already).

Some other thoughts

1. Lingard earned his wages yesterday by throwing himself to the floor when Declan was a little too busy in an early challenge. If you watch it slo-mo, as I did online afterwards, the actual fall forward was an exaggeration of a minimal loss of balance. Shouldn't have been a yellow, but, as I say, he gained a clear advantage for his team in doing that.

2. The Antonio infringement was a weird one. This is one thing I hate about modern football. The ref gets pressured because the Forest players all stopped playing. Again, this is something that a team is being coached to do, to make the ref work, by stopping themselves. Again, if you watch it in slo-mo, the defender for a very short moment, ball at Rice's feet, blocks Antonio's lawful, dangerous movement towards goal, where the ball could have been slipped down the corridor for a first time shot for him. Yes, he reacts with frustration, but he's doing that because he's being obstructed. In other words, they both foul one another. People should play to the whistle. But, as I say, they stopped and created this unnatural situation for their fans to bellow about. I can see it both ways, but that goal should have stood. And we should have gone in at half-time in front.

3. Their goal was one of those lucky messes which is in part down to Utility Johnson having to acclimatise to a new role. It's typical of us to have a problem in defence at the beginning of the season, but there we are.

4. Benrahma had a great game; props to him for reading the tea-leaves and establishing the need to take the ball and work so well with it.

5. Henderson was the best player on the pitch. Those three points are down to him. That was a peach of a shot from Fornals and I hope that we will see more of him in the centre of the park. Soucek came close, but, as I say, Henderson was just too good on the day. We still have new signings to intergate into this matchday 11.

6. Jarrod Bowen! Mayday! Please report to training today; this joke about your twin brother is boring now....
OFT
Has liked: 2992 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

prophet:marginal wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:41 am

Some other thoughts.......
Great post Proph. :newthumb:
Agree entirely.
To add:-
Even on the dodgy stream I was watching there seemed to be no contact from Dec when Lingard went down for the booking.

Re,the pen, I didn't see it but someone on here said Lingard gave Henderson the tip on where Dec would go, now there's no harm in that, he plays for them, think inexperience got the better of Dec. FWIW I'd swap the taker for a hit it hard and hope man.
Oh, and I still can't bring myself to watch MOTD or any similar stuff, it's all just too nauseating.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Funny old game, we could still be playing now and not score - Ball did not bounce kindly for us yesterday! Last season we win that game comfortably by at least 2.

Far too many of our players are a bit off, and we are not good enough to carry those players in the PL. Even with our players off it we still could have won, that's a positive in itself.

Not sure why we are "off" presently, but we are. CB situation is not helping and perhaps the main reason for it as we are out of balance??

Not overly worried, but we do need to get some points on the board sooner rather than later though.

Fair play to Forest, big 3 points for them as from what I saw yesterday they are going to be in a battle to stay up, it is early days for all clubs though.
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

Good to see you back clackers :thup:
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

That was the first 90 minute performance I can remember from Benrahma. Too often flickers and sparks in short bursts even within halves. And he was occasionally genuinely threatening rather than the more typical threatening to be threatening.

One wonders if his early bounce is partially the result of being one of the few remaining players who weren't thrashed into the ground last season.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

OFT wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:00 am Even on the dodgy stream I was watching there seemed to be no contact from Dec when Lingard went down for the booking.
I think Rice's issue is more than he had just gotten away with a similar one a few minutes before that. The ref let it go, then Rice chases down Lingard and Lingard goes down.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Everytime I watch the replay of McKenna, the more annoyed I am he was not sent off. He’s literally doing Henderson’s job for him. Stopping a goalbound shot with his arms. I struggle to think of a more frustrating Premier League match we’ve had over the last season or two tbh. It literally was like every moment in the game for us was a coin toss that we lost each time.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:13 am Everytime I watch the replay of McKenna, the more annoyed I am he was not sent off. He’s literally doing Henderson’s job for him. Stopping a goalbound shot with his arms. I struggle to think of a more frustrating Premier League match we’ve had over the last season or two tbh. It literally was like every moment in the game for us was a coin toss that we lost each time.
I agree. I think we were out of luck. Forest were in luck (and fair play to them for making best use of it).

And the ref was poor. I don't care that Henderson was behind the player, because when you look at the shape of his hands, as ball was struck by Souey, he would NOT have caught that shot. So, if the Forest player had not saved it himself, Mike was onside and in place to score with the rebound.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Having slept on it, any other time we probably win that game by 3 or 4 goals. Forest massively rode their luck, got a deflected goal from a full back playing at centre back, and needed the keeper to have a worldy, defenders blocking shots on the line and deliberate handballs that the ref doesn’t properly punish.

Our biggest worries right now are our lack of CB options, Bowen being awol and the way that we were wide open in midfield and vulnerable to the counter time and again.
billtho
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 230 likes

Post by billtho »

Samba wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:05 am Certainly one of the luckiest/worst goals I've ever seen.
And I swear that Steve Cooper is somehow related to :arry: ....
Harry Rednapp and Peter beardsly
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Poor pen from Rice, silly brainfart from Antonio, bad finishing from everyone bar the unlucky Benrahma. On another day we win that game anything from 2-1 to 4-1 and come away with a solid 3 points while still trying to work out the early season kinks.

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:03 am Funny old game, we could still be playing now and not score - Ball did not bounce kindly for us yesterday! Last season we win that game comfortably by at least 2.

Far too many of our players are a bit off, and we are not good enough to carry those players in the PL. Even with our players off it we still could have won, that's a positive in itself.

Not sure why we are "off" presently, but we are. CB situation is not helping and perhaps the main reason for it as we are out of balance??

Not overly worried, but we do need to get some points on the board sooner rather than later though.

Fair play to Forest, big 3 points for them as from what I saw yesterday they are going to be in a battle to stay up, it is early days for all clubs though.
I'm giving the players and the manager the benefit of the doubt for now, due to it being the start of the season. Sure it's the same for all Teams but it's not unusual for some Teams (good or bad) to have initial teething problems at a beginning of a new season, on top of an injury crisis at the back. It's not like I don't see some good work happening as like yesterday showed we could on another day have scored a few but lady luck didnt look down on us kindly. It’s when it gets to 5 or more games I start to worry there's something more to it but for now, I'll be cutting them all some slack.

We're not currently playing well but we're also not playing horrendously, very much been in the game.