Reid vs Williams, 1973

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Reid vs Williams, 1973

Post by Up the Junction »

A bout of procrastination led me through an internet wormhole to this fascinating battle of wits from half-a-century ago between trade union leader Jimmy Reid and ac-torr Kenneth Williams.

Also features an appearance from the "Headmaster of a comprehensive school", a certain Rhodes Boyson!

Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Re: Reid vs Williams, 1973

Post by Estuary »

Up the Junction wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:07 am A bout of procrastination led me through an internet wormhole to this fascinating battle of wits from half-a-century ago between trade union leader Jimmy Reid and ac-torr Kenneth Williams.
I recall Kenny giving it the big theatrical heave with a quotation he liked and Jimmy replying with a poem which was very moving, Kenny asked who had written it expecting it to be by a "name", Jimmy say's "I did", at which Kenny's mouth drops open.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Rhodes Boyson's first wife was my dad's cousin. Bit of a git, by all accounts. Runs in the family.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Ah, Rhodes Boyson, flashback to the classic Ali G interview :crylol: :crylol:
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Seem to recall RB turned the tables on Ali G a bit?
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Got half way through it so far, may finish later. KW may be supercilious at times, but he comes across quite focused if only in parts.
Anyway, given that this is clearly early 70's (come on, them shirts and ties) it seems that the issues and dilemmas are eternal. (for me) it's quite encouraging that unions won't be deterred from striking for pay increases/earning a decent wage no matter how much it inconveniences people. On the other hand, I HATE being asked to take part in industrial action. I've taken part once and was due to take part in more earlier this year but (hooray) my section accepted a 3% pay rise and I was off sick anyway.
Dilemma, dilemma dilemma. Wish I could come down on one side or the other.

If Stockwell were here, I know where he'd stand, and it would extend internationally to places where unions are virtually illegal and violently repressed.