UCL: West Ham Utd 3-1 Viborg FF (18/8/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Viborg FF: match thread

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

weymouth hammer wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:33 am What winds me up, two corners in two minutes, three or four six foot plus player's in there, waiting to do a Dawse, and Fornels sends them both in ankle high, boils my pi£s.
The first of those was a shot I think - Viborg had a very strange way of defending corners where absolutely everyone, including the GK, was standing a few yards off the line, and Fornals tried to curl one into the near post.

To then do it three times in a row was either very self-indulgent or terrible technique.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Despite the pain the arse of getting there last night, I very much enjoyed goals #1 & #3. They felt like the new guard showing the manager what they can do followed by the old guard reminding him they can do the same (Benny and Mic are definitely players you’d want around a top 6 squad.)

Benrahma has it in him to be the absolute standout in this team. His work effort and confidence is clearly improving.

Default nitpicking: how long has it been since Lanzini became the invisible man? It feels like years, vaguely peppered with a couple of incredible goals.

Default nitpicking 2: that’s the third time I’ve felt anxious with that keeper and his concentration at floated crosses Small whinge though as he does everything else well.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Coventry looked a but weak did he win a tackle or put one in ?
Lanzini was again too deep , hus comfort zone!
Need a no 10 who can provide for our attackers .
Last night we had soucrk Coventry lanzini all deep. Things change when firnals came on and played further forward and tried to press a bit.

What has happened to our pressing and closing diwn. They walked through us at times.

Must do better .hopefully we go on a winning run now
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I think Moyes will keep Coventry around, I imagine he's like the teacher's pet, he does all the things the manager likes, keeps possession, plays it safe, just one of those unglamorous types, that's neat, tidy and keeps things ticking over, a typical 5 or 6 out of 10 player.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

hammerman11 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:07 am What has happened to our pressing and closing diwn. They walked through us at times.
I think - hope - it's just been three games where we've deliberately chosen not to press hard because of fairly unusual circumstances:

1) Man City - don't wear yourselves out chasing shadows lads, stay deep and we'll try to hit them on the break.

2) Forest - it's a big game for them, they're going to come flying out of the blocks, let's absorb the pressure and quieten the crowd down first.

3) Viborg - it's a big game for them, let them wear themselves out and our quality will tell in the end.

If not, then it's very concerning because we've barely laid a glove on three very different types of opponents.

Brighton will be telling as we usually let them have far too much of the ball and our midfield in particular need to be far more destructive and creative against them if we're to break the curse.
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1162 likes
Total likes: 674 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Viborg FF: match threa

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

Waited until the morning after to help with my balance:

All our new signings looked comfortable, and clearly more to come.
Benni is the classic…like a new signing …..example.
Coventry did the Noble role with confidence, although he did get pushed off the ball twice. Did enough to show he’s worth a squad place and further development.
Opposition were actually better than Forest imo. Good test and clearly not over, but Moyes will keep them fixed.
Worth remembering that yes they were missing a couple, but so were we. Our squad looks stronger than previous Moyes seasons. As evidenced by Moyes use of all five subs. Not getting carried away given opposition, but look at the potential names on our bench (insert H11 list here).
Three good goals, and let’s face it, we haven’t looked dangerous for awhile. Some hope for future good partnerships and inter play.
Finally, thought the crowd got into it given the low attendance, which suggests there’s a strong core. Well done everyone.
Also, really good to see Pearce and Irvine there. A strong turnout of the leadership group with Nolan doing the Pearce role up in the stands with Moyes. Clearly they don’t use the trains. 😉

Glass half full. Well done West Ham, that won’t harm our recruitment campaign.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 2951 likes
Total likes: 2607 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Coventry looked well below the standard we're trying to maintain.
London Fields Hammer
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by London Fields Hammer »

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:16 am Brighton will be telling as we usually let them have far too much of the ball and our midfield in particular need to be far more destructive and creative against them if we're to break the curse.
I agree with most of the positive comments about last night. But Viborg were both better and worse than expected. They kept the ball like Brighton but were also low quality in defending and attacking. Sunday will be completely different and I hope we improve our passing massively by then. I can't imagine Benni being allowed to waltz into their box like last night, or Scamacca to get a soft header either.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

West Ham United 3-1 Viborg FF (by Chris Wilkerson)
https://www.kumb.com/report.php?id=121379
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Few obersevations on the game.

Scamacca was fine but struggled to get into the game due to poor service. Not sure why he decided to do a spectacular cross field lay off each time he recieved it as opposed to keeping it simple to someone nearer. Think he was keen to impress. He'll come good though.

Cornet was generally sloppy and wasn't a good game but I've seen enough of him at Burnley to know he'll come good. Good assist last night.

Bowen shook off a lot of rust yesterday and looked like 85% bowen as opposed to 60% like we've been seeing.

Kehrer looks so assured on the ball with his crisp passing but where do you play him? He would terrify me as a CB in a back 4 as he'd get bullied in the air by most PL forwards aerialy and physically as he isn't bulky at all. They goal we conceded yesterday when he came on is exactly the thing that would worry me every Saturday. He'd work in a back 3 but it's a system we haven't been able to master as we look like an accident waiting to happen in a 3.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

e17 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:06 am Default nitpicking: how long has it been since Lanzini became the invisible man? It feels like years, vaguely peppered with a couple of incredible goals.
He’s actually done well to make any kind of meaningful contribution. He had the worst ACL tear you can get and was never gonna come back the same player. If we’ve done anything right this Sunmer Lanzini will be taking up the vacancy left in Mark Noble’s pasture.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:43 am Kehrer looks so assured on the ball with his crisp passing but where do you play him? He would terrify me as a CB in a back 4 as he'd get bullied in the air by most PL forwards aerialy and physically as he isn't bulky at all. They goal we conceded yesterday when he came on is exactly the thing that would worry me every Saturday. He'd work in a back 3 but it's a system we haven't been able to master as we look like an accident waiting to happen in a 3.
Agree. Can see him at right back before too long if we don’t go with a three.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I think the most positive things I can say about last night were that we won and that it is the start of the season and we were playing an odds and sods line up caused by injury and suspension.

Ashby had a good game in parts, but must take some responsibility for the goal we conceded; the bloke crossing the ball had acres of space.

Coventry is getting the beats for his cautious and unadventurous passing, but that's surely what he was told to do.

Soucek was apparently 'abject', but he was playing alongside a lad making a European debut and behind Lanzini, who seemed way too hesitant. None of them took the game by the scruff of the neck, I appreciate, but they were perhaps waiting for each other to spark. I thought Coventry knitted things together more interestingly once Fornals came on.

All three forward players did well, but only in bursts.

Viborg reminded me of Bobby Brown Shoes' Wigan, in their pressing and comfort on the ball. However they were totally powerless to stop all three of our goals and may come at us full tilt next Thursday, but find themselves vulnerable to our counter-attack.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Morocco Mole wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:46 am Agree. Can see him at right back before too long if we don’t go with a three.
I can see that too. Maybe even cover for cress if we can't find a LB. Far from ideal mind you.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

All things considered, it was quite a good atmosphere last night and a good game, one where it felt like the result was in jeopardy throughout. The Danes support was good and 30,000 overall given the circumstances was a reasonable turn-out from ours.

Their team was a bunch of big lads. One of the fellas up front reminded me of that big lump of a bloke who used to play running back for the Chicago Bears, the Fridge. They would probably be a very decent championship side if we were drawing parallels with our leagues, and we're currently 19th in our league, so the gulf between the two at the moment isn't as big as we might like to imagine.

First half was a bit of a struggle, but it's worth remembering we were fielding a mix of the recently signed, the recently recovered, the out of position and those trying to make a step up. Nevertheless, we still came in at the break one nil up thanks a combo of the new attackers.

Second half we went up a gear and it looked like we were well positioned to end the tie after the first leg when Bowen rifled in our second. The subs however disrupted our flow and with Ogbonna and Scamacca removed from the fray it felt almost inevitable we would struggle against any high ball with the much smaller replacements. And so it was.

Stellar stuff from Benrahma, serving Antonio a goal on a plate -restored the comfort cushion and we shouldn't balls it up from here.

Liked a few things. Areola's distribution was much snappier than we usually have - take the ball, get us going. It's also possible to see that Scamacca and Kehrer are certainly more mobile than one or two who have filled their positions before. Scamacca isn't Haller. Cornet showed glimpses of what he can offer.

Other results see both the French and German representatives in this competition in danger of elimination.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
GALF
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by GALF »

Admittedly I’m a Benrahma doubter, but he was electric last night, even if against a defence of lesser quality. Well played.

Cornet was very good at protecting the ball I thought, even if he did seem a little slower than I remembered. All round a decent showing though.

Scamacca seemed a little rusty, but that is to be expected. Great leap and header for the goal.

I thought Johnson was woeful last night. I thought he did fairly well in the league games at CB but last night I thought that he was all over the place. Against a team with any pedigree in attack he could have cost us last night.

Coufal was solid but has been exposed for having absolutely no left foot. I don’t understand how players, at this level of football, are not, at the very least, able to play a short/medium pass accurately with their weaker foot.

Echoing an earlier comment, I thought Kehrer was a lot more slight in person. Seemed like he had a touch of class about him, seems very two footed and very comfortable on the ball. I do worry for the left side of our defence if he and Cresswell both play there due to the height. The first floated ball to the back post after he came on led to their goal.

I don’t see Coventry making it at prem level I’m afraid. A solid pro, but a cut below the top level I feel.

I feel like I’m a bit of a Fornals fanboy at the moment but I think he injected some energy into the midfield when he came in, albeit that wasn’t difficult. His corners? I shall not speak.

Viborg popped the ball about well, especially in the first half, but had absolutely nothing in the final third.
roblo
Has liked: 152 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by roblo »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:58 am All things considered, it was quite a good atmosphere last night.
People seemed in a good mood. I guess that's what happens when you don't have to queue for hours through security and struggle with an NFC
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Kehrer was fine in the air - he had matched up his man when they got their goal. Unfortunately Coufal had lost track of his man, who came in with a huge leap and went over the top of all of them to get his head on the ball. Coufal should have been half-turned, and blocked the run/jump. His mistake not Kehrer's.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I liked Scamacca. All he can do is score goals when he's on the pitch. There wasn't a lot of pace on Cornet's ball in, so he to generate the power on that header all of himself. Shortly after his goal, he picked up the ball on the left handside of their penalty box, took a couple of steps, but his attempt was rather disappointing. It wasn't a poor effort,, saved low down by their keeper, near his post. He will get that chance again in other games and he will fire it into the far left postage stamp
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

enjoyed the game , they looked far sharper than we did , and were technically very good imo, with rice back next week i expect us to pick up more 2nd balls in midfield , benrahma was excellent when he came on , outside of that i thought the midfield was scratchy , still nothing improves confidence more than a win , so looking forward to brighton on sunday