UCL: West Ham Utd 3-1 Viborg FF (18/8/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Hammer_Time1
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Viborg FF: match thread

Post by Hammer_Time1 »

A fairly dull game and another (mostly) limp performance. We were lucky that we were playing Viborg and not Brighton, as our tempo was too slow and ponderous. I thought Coventry was knocked off the ball far too easily and wasn't progressive enough in his passing, Soucek barely touched the ball for large periods and Ogbonna looked understandably rusty.

Some positives though- we won! The Cornet/Scamacca link up for the first was a rare bit of quality- Let's hope this is the start of a great partnership. I thought Scamacca was largely a bystander for most of the time that he was on, but it was his goal that was so important. A lovely finish from Bowen and some great work by Benrahma for the third- our best player of the season so far. I though Kehrer looked promising. Fornals is so important to how we play- he is a very intelligent footballer. Coufal, I thought, actually played quite well, especially as he was out of position as a LB. Much better than his opening 2 games. Also no injuries or yellow cards was a bonus.

I think it's been a pretty good transfer window so far- we have added some genuine quality to our attack in Scamacca and Cornet, and we now have 5 quality CBs albeit with Aguerd being injured. There will be some unlucky players sat on the bench vs Brighton, but it's nice to have a bit of squad depth. What this game confirmed for me (for the third game running) is that we still need a central AM who drives forward with the ball. Fornals has an eye for a pass, but due to his workrate, maybe he is better suited LM? He's not all that quick or tricky, so maybe Benrahma may have some success as a 10?

On to Brighton.. we've got to beat them at some point surely :hamm:
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

Puff Daddy wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:05 am Whenever I see Lanzini's name on the teamsheet, I feel hopefully today will be the day he will get it together and produce the goods, but it is hope against hope and I'm sorry to say it, but how long can we carry a player ? He has been with us now for 7 years
That bad injury has damaged him Puff. He did well to come back and has shown glimpses but isn’t the same.

Moyes had a good 10 games out of him where he linked up great with Arnautovic to keep us up.

He’s then got injured for Argentina and apart from the worldie shot against Spurs and the lovely goal against Palace he doesn’t look the same player.

The game passed him by last night although to be fair Soucek was again anonymous too.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

Roby wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:00 am That bad injury has damaged him Puff. He did well to come back and has shown glimpses but isn’t the same.

Moyes had a good 10 games out of him where he linked up great with Arnautovic to keep us up.

He’s then got injured for Argentina and apart from the worldie shot against Spurs and the lovely goal against Palace he doesn’t look the same player.

The game passed him by last night although to be fair Soucek was again anonymous too.
tbf i thought all of our midfield was anonymous. Fornals made a massive difference.
Coventry, Soucek and lanzini didn't seem to do anything of note apart from not keep up with the strikers.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

dull lazy first half bar the great goal. two more great goals in the second, fornals made a big difference. coufal did really well as left back but i'll excuse him the goal as that's not his natural side and i think had he been the right back the cross would never have come in.
BUT
the return leg we are away and they have two first team players returning.
do both rice and cresswell and moyes return?
hopefully we will have some more defenders available by then.
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

My take on a few -

Fornals demonstrated what we need from midfield, fast transition not slow build up against a packed, organised defence.

If Scamacca gets the service he’ll be a legend.

Cornet showed signs of class although understandably a little lost at times. Needs to settle in but I fear he’ll be played all over the place.

Benny is finally showing what we knew he could do more often. Not sure what they did with him over the summer but it worked.

Coventry was playing safe and not his usual ‘swashbuckling’ self. I suspect he was under instructions and needs more freedom to impress.

Ashby played backwards too often when there were plenty of forward options. Instructions again? But he showed enough to suggest he will be decent.

Not sure what’s going on with Bowen, yet to hit 2nd gear?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

We played far too much of the game with little to no movement both on and off the ball. Passing it along the back line, up to a static midfielder who looks for a runner but finds none. Back to the defence and start again. I've seen more movement in a Subbutteo team. I know where this ultra cautious "better not try something in case it might not work" approach comes from, but it's tedious to watch. The few times they got bored with it and broke protocol we scored.

Football eh?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:11 pm We played far too much of the game with little to no movement both on and off the ball. Passing it along the back line, up to a static midfielder who looks for a runner but finds none. Back to the defence and start again. I've seen more movement in a Subbutteo team. I know where this ultra cautious "better not try something in case it might not work" approach comes from, but it's tedious to watch. The few times they got bored with it and broke protocol we scored.

Football eh?

I noticed that too. Whatever happened to good, old fashioned hoofing? Bring back hoofing
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

chigwells finest wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:19 am dont know how many more times i can watch us pass it across our back 4 too & fro .
Aguerd and Kehrer will change all that soon
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Puff Daddy wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:15 pm I noticed that too. Whatever happened to good, old fashioned hoofing? Bring back hoofing
Because Johnson tries that and sends the ball sailing over everyone…
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

Anyone else really impressed with Viborg?

They knocked it around lovely and had total confidence in their own composure, regardless of whether they were picking up a second ball, being pressed deep in their half, or moving it between the lines in our half. Some of their best chances came from their goalie starting a calm, methodical passing move around our press. They fully deserved their goal and the tie feels a long way from over if they get a Forest-style lift at home.

Their fans were great all game too. People who didn't bother with this game/got stuck by trains missed out, this is why we want to be in Europe - to enjoy games like last night.
Last edited by hawkins_hammer on Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Well a win's a win and it ought to be enough (but by no means guaranteed) to see us through.
But we looked very laboured IMO.
And why do we find it so hard to keep hold of the ball?
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

We play some ugly football and although I want us to be difficult to beat, I also want to see us play with a bit of flair and creativity. Functional football is not entertaining at all.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

feels like we need to score early in this reverse next week or it could very well be squeaky bum time.....

don't want to see us keep kicking the ball around our own half as much as we seemed to yesterday.

it was like players got a nose bleed if they crossed the halfway line.....

:furrow:
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

I like Coufal.

He takes responsibility and always tries the attacking option.

Benny wouldn't be a starter for me, too little of his good possession ends up with a decent assist or shot. Last night excellent effort was his one in ten and I doubt if he would have reached the Line against Prem.opposition.

Similar conclusion about Lanzini and Fournals. Not remotely consistent enough for a top half team.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I don't think Lanzini starting is going to carry on for much longer. We were toothless in CAM, in the first half and Manu's press was played around fairly easily.

Looks like he' will be a bench option, to come on after about 70 minutes in certain matches.

I think, however, that certain other performers need a few more games to get up to speed. Bowen scored a sweet goal, but was fairly anonymous beforehand, imo.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

can't find stats for last night but I'm guessing that as usual Lanzini completed about 94% of his passes.

BUT.

I'm guessing hardly any were in the final third and again I would bet ZERO were to a player inside the 18.

we were crying out (not for the first time) for a player to play between the lines and make something happen.

nothing seemed to.

and with Coventry and Soucek alongside him our midfield was truly dreadful in creating chances.

now Jack and Cal may prove that wrong, but the eye test said no. and an emphatic NO.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:18 pm Because Johnson tries that and sends the ball sailing over everyone…
Always liable for a couple of hoofs straight to the keeper every game but I don’t think his long passing is anywhere near as bad as being made out. Some of his cross field switches are very good. Last night included, he can ping it from one side of the pitch to the other. It’s the choice of when to try it that he needs to get better with.
Mr_incredible
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by Mr_incredible »

BondsoBob wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:56 pm And why do we find it so hard to keep hold of the ball?
because a) the passing isnt accurate enough and b) its moved too bloody slow...both of which mean receiving player has to move/adjust/control it.
the one bloody obvious yesterday was sticking the ball in front of Cornet especially but bowen also.....barely happened, despite the times it did they really didnt like it.
duncanio
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by duncanio »

Humbug wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:06 pm We play some ugly football and although I want us to be difficult to beat, I also want to see us play with a bit of flair and creativity. Functional football is not entertaining at all.
Yeah. I think we used to play some better, quicker passing football under Moyes but for me, that's one of the things that seems to be missing at the moment. Also think we're lazy pressing and some energy missing in general.
Although I was pleased, I was actually underwhelmed by the Cornet/Scamacca goal. I liked Cornet/Antonio though, that was great. Good to see Bowen firing. I think we're on the turn, not like bad milk but in a good way. If we can get some players settled in positions, I'm hoping things will continue to improve.
Maybe Nobes in the dugout too.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Fairly professional job, well done. Minor slip up just after Kehrer came on and got instantly caught under the ball, other than that we did what was needed.

Great to see Cornet and Scamacca combine for a goal, equally good to see Bowen score and Benrhama combine well with Antonio.

One foot in the group stage of a UEFA competition. Can't really grumble too much about that.