UCL: West Ham Utd 3-1 Viborg FF (18/8/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

duncanio
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Viborg FF: match thread

Post by duncanio »

irving boleyn wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:23 pm I like Coufal.

He takes responsibility and always tries the attacking option.

Benny wouldn't be a starter for me, too little of his good possession ends up with a decent assist or shot. Last night excellent effort was his one in ten and I doubt if he would have reached the Line against Prem.opposition.

Similar conclusion about Lanzini and Fournals. Not remotely consistent enough for a top half team.
I feel like Coufal does virtually everything right on the attacking from but it very rarely comes to anything at the important moment,. I like him too. Defensively decent.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

We were much, much better once Fornals came on. More energy, more forward passing, and passes with threat. He won't have the accuracy of Manu, but I'd bet his passes cover more distance, take more players out of the game and threaten to create more.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

hawkins_hammer wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:25 pm Anyone else really impressed with Viborg?

They knocked it around lovely and had total confidence in their own composure, regardless of whether they were picking up a second ball, being pressed deep in their half, or moving it between the lines in our half. Some of their best chances came from their goalie starting a calm, methodical passing move around our press. They fully deserved their goal and the tie feels a long way from over if they get a Forest-style lift at home.

Their fans were great all game too. People who didn't bother with this game/got stuck by trains missed out, this is why we want to be in Europe - to enjoy games like last night.
i know they have to get 3 goals (or 2 goals and i presume pens) but this is far from over yet and i'm fully expecting viborg to be much better next week at home and with their two missing players back. It's not going to be easy and they could actually embarrass us.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Just seen their goal for the first time
Personally i think Areola should come and deal with that cross
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

kitthehammer wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:19 pm i know they have to get 3 goals (or 2 goals and i presume pens) but this is far from over yet and i'm fully expecting viborg to be much better next week at home and with their two missing players back. It's not going to be easy and they could actually embarrass us.
With the greatest of respect, I don't think we need to be overly concerned about those two coming back. They're very much back ups.

Jatta has made 19 league appearances for them, 18 coming on as a sub. Averages less than 20 minutes per appearance.
Said has made the same number of appearances, 13 coming on as a sub. Averages about 35 minutes per appearance.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

I though Viborg and their fans did themselves proud last night. Good to see.

As for us, I'm not sure what people were expecting? We gave 3 brand new players a game plus 2 young U23's, a returning geriatric who hasn't played in nearly a year, a right back playing centre half, another right back playing left back plus our Manager and Captain forced to sit in the stands!! Given all of that, I'm pretty happy with the result if not the performance.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

kitthehammer wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:19 pm i know they have to get 3 goals (or 2 goals and i presume pens) but this is far from over yet and i'm fully expecting viborg to be much better next week at home and with their two missing players back. It's not going to be easy and they could actually embarrass us.
If they score early on we'll be in deep trouble. They'll have their tails up and you just know fear and doubt will set in on our side. We'll pull everyone back and sit deep on our eighteen yard line which invites pressure. Dangerous game.
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

There’s absolutely no chance we slip up. We will cruise through 👍🏽.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

BigFatSam wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:59 pm There’s absolutely no chance we slip up. We will cruise through 👍🏽.
They were decent, but cannot see how we don't score again which leaves them needing four.

Keep it tight for 20 minutes and it should be a training match.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Mr_incredible wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:03 pm because a) the passing isnt accurate enough and b) its moved too bloody slow...
Our current malaise.
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

When did Fornals start at the Mark Noble academy for corner kicks?
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

BigFatSam wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:59 pm There’s absolutely no chance we slip up. We will cruise through 👍🏽.
Famous Last Words.com
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Fornals is so much better than Lanzini.

Much more dynamic in intention, passing and movement, even if they both don’t have the speed.

There was a pass Fornals did, I think it was clipped out over to Cornet in the box on the right wing. If it was Lanzini, he would have received the ball, done a 360 and recalibrated, allowing Viborg to get back into shape.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

There is just no point playing Lanzini if we only have runners off him. Has to be Fornals.

He released Cornet twice within about 5 minutes of coming on. Lanzini just doesn't hit those defence splitting passes.

Fornals isn't perfect for the role, but he is the best we have currently.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

We vey rarely lose games by two goals these days, and when we do it's usually to a very wealthy PL team. Half a dozen times since about December 2020.

If the team is fit and fresh with sensible rotation , Viborg would really need to come up with something out of the ordinary.
Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

:wine:
Diogenes wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:32 pm I though Viborg and their fans did themselves proud last night. Good to see.

As for us, I'm not sure what people were expecting? We gave 3 brand new players a game plus 2 young U23's, a returning geriatric who hasn't played in nearly a year, a right back playing centre half, another right back playing left back plus our Manager and Captain forced to sit in the stands!! Given all of that, I'm pretty happy with the result if not the performance.
Quite. That was like a team you field for a friendly, to give some players experience and to have a look at others. I was surprised that Moyes wasn't more conservative tbh.
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

Fornals corner kicks were diabolical, three in a row didn't even beat their first player and he decided to do a short corner for the 4th. It's almost as if the ball is too heavy from a standing position for some of our players to strike it very far. Bowen's delivery is fantastic compared to everyone else in the team.

If some of the players can't beat the 1st man, get one of them to run in at the near post and just deflect the damn ball into the penalty area (very frustrating as is our poor throw-ins). These errors are important to sort out because even the smallest of margins matter in the PL such as losing possession in midfield and allowing an easy counterattack. It pees me off that we've been so poor organising throw-ins for several seasons in a row.
dplus91
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by dplus91 »

Humbug wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:05 pm It pees me off that we've been so poor organising throw-ins for several seasons in a row.
Been that way for as as long as I can remember. Yet against us, teams rarely seam to struggle to find their players.

Disagree on Formals though. Yes his corners were poor last night but he's up there with Cresswell and Bowen going by the last 2 seasons.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Clyde Best wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:23 pm Good game, Viborg reminded me of Swansea, great possesion but couldn't do anything with it. We were slow and ponderous, but Cornet, Smacaroo and Benny sorted it. One thing about European games that I detest are the coked up knobheads who turn up and scream "You f***** c**** at everybody including the stewards, the spotty little oik in front of us spent 20 minutes screaming his empty head off at the Viborg fans, didn't even watch the game. Massive annoying Twat. I must be getting old.
Nah, CB, it's not that. Those sort of 'fans' always used to ruin games for me if they were too close by. I'm not sure why they go, they're obviously not there for the football, imo. Perhaps it's the only place they can go where they feel that they can get something 'out'. They certainly don't contribute to the atmosphere in a positive way.
Claret&Blue,Thru&
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Claret&Blue,Thru& »

Humbug wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:05 pm Fornals corner kicks were diabolical, three in a row didn't even beat their first player and he decided to do a short corner for the 4th. It's almost as if the ball is too heavy from a standing position for some of our players to strike it very far.
I thought that he must have been looking for own goals: nearly got one. Strange tactic though!