✍ Thilo Kehrer

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Re: ✍ Thilo Kehrer

Post by mumbles87 »

EvilC wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:11 pm "Adapting to a new league" doesn't mean it isn't an error. I don't blame him for the OG and the Dawson thing was mainly on Dawson.

The dropping a bollock every game statement was hyperbole - but he has, for me, made far more errors than you would hope for or expect.
He has to be cut a massive amount of slack tbh. Aguard was being set up as our partner to zouma

Pre season he gets a knock, Dawson still out, ogbonna not fit we rush signing him

Zero time to adapt or phase in

Straight start

Considering all that he has done well
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

EvilC wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:50 pm One of the points you were making was that "Everything points to Kehrer being a good signing for West Ham - his age, his stats, his career, his height and physicality and previous transfer fees". Having seen his performances (which you admit have been not great), and if you know (watching every game, as you do) that we seem to be struggling to find a position for him, I do not believe that the statement "everything points to Kehrer being a good signing for West Ham" is true - because his performances and the fact that we don't seem to be able to deploy him in a position that works for him and us don't point to that at all.
I don't doubt for a minute that he's struggling at West Ham - I can see it with my own eyes. And Moyes dosen't know where to play him, that's also true - everyone can see that. But I'm not sure how useful it is for people to come on here and slag him off every time he messes up. I'd prefer to be optimistic and hopeful myself.

And I do stick to my point that you have quoted "everything points to Kehrer being a good signing for West Ham" because of the reasons I give in my post combined with my belief that one shouldn't write off a player after fewer than 20 matches at a club. Time will tell if he turns out to be a good signing based on his performances, but that doesn't mean that he didn't look the right sort of signing when we brought him in
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2627 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

libero wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:24 pm I don't doubt for a minute that he's struggling at West Ham - I can see it with my own eyes. And Moyes dosen't know where to play him, that's also true - everyone can see that. But I'm not sure how useful it is for people to come on here and slag him off every time he messes up. I'd prefer to be optimistic and hopeful myself.

And I do stick to my point that you have quoted "everything points to Kehrer being a good signing for West Ham" because of the reasons I give in my post combined with my belief that one shouldn't write off a player after fewer than 20 matches at a club. Time will tell if he turns out to be a good signing based on his performances, but that doesn't mean that he didn't look the right sort of signing when we brought him in
You can be optimistic and hopeful but you can also acknowledge and discuss when he has made an error or put in a sub-par performance.

I'm not writing off a player after less than 20 matches. I'm saying that his performances so far do not indicate that he is going to be a success, therefore you cannot state that everything indicates he will be a success. You could have said that when he joined before we had seen him play, but I don't believe that you can now.

FWIW I think there is a lot to like about him, he's a fast, aggressive, modern defender, but he gets caught under the ball more than I'd expect an experienced pro to do and makes a disproportionate amount of errors.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

EvilC wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:32 pm You can be optimistic and hopeful but you can also acknowledge and discuss when he has made an error or put in a sub-par performance.

I'm not writing off a player after less than 20 matches. I'm saying that his performances so far do not indicate that he is going to be a success, therefore you cannot state that everything indicates he will be a success. You could have said that when he joined before we had seen him play, but I don't believe that you can now.

FWIW I think there is a lot to like about him, he's a fast, aggressive, modern defender, but he gets caught under the ball more than I'd expect an experienced pro to do and makes a disproportionate amount of errors.
So first own goal of the world cup goes to aguard

Is that a mistake or just bad fortune?
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2627 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

mumbles87 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:43 pm So first own goal of the world cup goes to aguard

Is that a mistake or just bad fortune?
No idea, haven't seen it - it has nothing to do with the discussion going on here though.
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

"You can be optimistic and hopeful but you can also acknowledge and discuss when he has made an error or put in a sub-par performance"

And I think that you yourself have acknowledged that I've done just that in my post :smiler:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Unsurpringly he struggles to get in this piss poor German side and one of the worst they've had too.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Can we stop saying ‘Germany’s starting right back now’?

In all seriousness, I’m sure he’s gutted to be out but hopefully helps us it to get him back for some team training sessions given Zouma’s knee op.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

hammer1975 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:18 pm Can we stop saying ‘Germany’s starting right back now’?

In all seriousness, I’m sure he’s gutted to be out but hopefully helps us it to get him back for some team training sessions given Zouma’s knee op.
Zouma is back in training as is Cornet! Agreed though a shame, but gives him more time with us. Let’s see what £10m gets us when he is settled.

DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 2950 likes
Total likes: 2607 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Colours never run wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:06 pm Unsurpringly he struggles to get in this piss poor German side and one of the worst they've had too.
Or he was a regular starter before the World Cup and his absence vs Japan was seen highly critical.

But you must know better having not a single clue about German football.
Last edited by DusseldorfHammer on Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

hammer1975 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:18 pm Can we stop saying ‘Germany’s starting right back now’?
Not sure he was ever that.
But he has started 14 of Germanys last 19 games: 6 RB, 4 LB and 4 CB.

Most other games for Germany in 19/20 he was RWB.

Probably needs to settle in one position.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

El brooko79 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:11 pm
Probably needs to settle in one position.
100%
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:07 pm Or he was a regular starter before the World Cup and his absence vs Japan was seen highly critical.

But you must know better having not a single clue about German football.
No need to get personal...

I'm talking about this World Cup, not qualifiers or friendlies. Many people were already aware going into this World Cup that this was one of the poorest German sides there has been and yet a fully fit Kehrer (a virtual ever present playing for us) struggled to get in the Team in the 1st game against Japan at either CB/RB, then came in at Right Back for the 2nd game, only to be replaced after 70 minutes when criticised by pundits for a goal they conceded on the 62nd minute, to then be totally overlooked in their final group game against Costa Rica. Maybe, just maybe Kehrer isn't as good as some think he is..
DusseldorfHammer

Colours never run wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:55 pm No need to get personal...

I'm talking about this World Cup, not qualifiers or friendlies. Many people were already aware going into this World Cup that this was one of the poorest German sides there has been and yet a fully fit Kehrer (a virtual ever present playing for us) struggled to get in the Team in the 1st game against Japan at either CB/RB, then came in at Right Back for the 2nd game, only to be replaced after 70 minutes when criticised by pundits for a goal they conceded on the 62nd minute, to then be totally overlooked in their final group game against Costa Rica. Maybe, just maybe Kehrer isn't as good as some think he is..
Spain's goal in the 2nd game isn't his fault. Gnabry switched off in the built-up, did not track back so Kehrer had to face a 2v1 with Spain's overlapping wing back and their winger. Lazy punditry to make him the culprit here.

German manager Flick is already under huge pressure because of his team selections, especially for today and the match vs Japan. Both times he dropped Kehrer, both times the team was shambolic at the back. Looked much more solid vs Spain. Kehrer got replaced late in that game for the more attacking full back Lukas Klostermann.

I'm sorry to bring you back down, after you saw that easy opening.
Last edited by DusseldorfHammer on Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:42 pm Spain's goal in the 2nd goal isn't his fault. Gnabry switched off in the built-up, did not track back so Kehrer had to face a 2v1 with Spain's overlapping wing back and their winger. Lazy punditry to make him the culprit here.

German manager Flick is already under huge pressure because of his team selections, especially for today and the match vs Japan. Both times he dropped Kehrer, both times the team was shambolic at the back. Looked much more solid vs Spain. Kehrer got replaced late in that game for the more attacking full back Lukas Klostermann.

I'm sorry to bring you back down, after you saw that easy opening.
Yup. Matthaus was calling him out for starting the tournament without Kehrer. It’s like he lost confidence in his own selections.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Bern poor for us big mistake every game. Can't slays be someone else's fault .
Not the answer at fullback. Squad player at best
Colours never run

Hansi Flick would appear to have lost confidence in Kehrer when it matters in the World Cup, so there's something he's not liking what he sees in his play during training/minutes on the pitch when selected. It's not like he's been injured or ill either from what I can tell of the situation, as he's always been available.
DusseldorfHammer

Colours never run wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:57 pm Hansi Flick would appear to have lost confidence in Kehrer when it matters in the World Cup, so there's something he's not liking what he sees in his play during training/minutes on the pitch when selected. It's not like he's been injured or ill either from what I can tell of the situation, as he's always been available.
Nope. He just played Niklas Süle at right back in the first game because he wanted a more physical player there. Completely back fired as Süle was at fault for Japan's winner. Switched off, played the Asano, the japanese goal scorer onside.

Today Kehrer got dropped because Flick didn't want to drop any of the Goretzka, Gündogan, Kimmich trio. Germany's maybe three best players at the moment next to Musiala, so he had to play Kimmich at his old position, at right back. Back-fired as well and the attacking KlostermNn came in at half time, as Germany had to chase the game.

Again, big BS to have a dig at Kehrer as it's a fact that Germany had its better moments in the tournament with him being on the pitch.
Colours never run

Or maybe Flick just doesn't trust him in the side when it matters and seeing him all season long at West Ham, I can understand why..

Agree to disagree, I think. :newthumb:
DusseldorfHammer

Colours never run wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:16 am Or maybe Flick just doesn't trust him in the side when it matters
:chin:

Yeah, that's why he brought in Kehrer vs the toughest opponent of the group Spain.
:crossed: