✍ Thilo Kehrer

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Re: ✍ Thilo Kehrer

Post by Ironing Board »

The lad is still finding his feet in the league. Once he Ian truly adapted he can be a very good player for the club. People are way, way to quick to write someone with his pedigree off. He has already played in a Champions League final for goodness sake.

People want a more progressive style so you need to show patience with someone who can help us achieve this.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 865 likes
Total likes: 4266 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

As mentioned before, he had a mare in that Final and was probably the worst player on the pitch. Lionel Scaloni played in an FA Cup Final for West Ham. So what?
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:02 pm As mentioned before, he had a mare in that Final and was probably the worst player on the pitch. Lionel Scaloni played in an FA Cup Final for West Ham. So what?
Even if you are the worst player in a Champions League final, you still have to be damn good just to get on the pitch.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3677 likes
Total likes: 2381 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:02 pm As mentioned before, he had a mare in that Final and was probably the worst player on the pitch. Lionel Scaloni played in an FA Cup Final for West Ham. So what?
I present to the court the legend that is Edouard Cisse.

You wouldn’t remeber him Ironing Board….it was ‘BD’*.

*Before Dave
NedN
Has liked: 139 likes
Total likes: 613 likes

Post by NedN »

Ironing Board wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:23 pm Even if you are the worst player in a Champions League final, you still have to be damn good just to get on the pitch.
I don’t actually buy into this argument. I think you have to be minimally competent to get on the pitch, but just by virtue of playing you’re not necessarily “damn good.”

With that said, I agree with with IB on Kehrer. He’s growing into the league, and in a back 3 has the potential to be excellent. We were all raving, absolutely raving about his distribution and composure at the beginning of this season. Saying it was so good he could be a DM for us, etc. Once he gets used to his defensive partners and the team is more settled he’s going to be a solid player in our squad.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Morocco Mole wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:36 pm I present to the court the legend that is Edouard Cisse.

You wouldn’t remeber him Ironing Board….it was ‘BD’*.

*Before Dave
Standards were different back then and it was a freak Champions League year. That said, he ended up with a good career overall.

But Kehrer has many international caps, was good in Germany and got signed to one of the current super teams.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2648 likes
Total likes: 1195 likes

Post by EvilC »

Ironing Board wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:48 pm The lad is still finding his feet in the league. Once he Ian truly adapted he can be a very good player for the club. People are way, way to quick to write someone with his pedigree off. He has already played in a Champions League final for goodness sake.

People want a more progressive style so you need to show patience with someone who can help us achieve this.
I’m not sure that is the case.

I think people are focusing on the here and now, and that’s because we are in the **** and having someone that people perceive as flawed in the side is going to generate debate because we can’t really afford works in progress right now.

There is quite a lot to like about him - he’s fast and aggressive, but his problems in the air and with mistakes mean that people are going to question him when he’s played at centre back.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

EvilC wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:04 pm I’m not sure that is the case.

I think people are focusing on the here and now, and that’s because we are in the **** and having someone that people perceive as flawed in the side is going to generate debate because we can’t really afford works in progress right now.

There is quite a lot to like about him - he’s fast and aggressive, but his problems in the air and with mistakes mean that people are going to question him when he’s played at centre back.
We simply aren’t in the ****. In Europe after Christmas, still in the FA Cup and our form is improving and a new team shape is clearly emerging.

Humans make mistakes. Just give him time to get settled in consistent back line and improvements will come.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Ironing Board wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:08 pm We simply aren’t in the ****. In Europe after Christmas, still in the FA Cup and our form is improving and a new team shape is clearly emerging.

Humans make mistakes. Just give him time to get settled in consistent back line and improvements will come.
We simply are. I’d urge you to look at the league table since you seem confused.

We beat Everton (who all the teams around us also beat), won against a team two divisions below us and secured an excellent point at Newcastle. We have been really poor for a long time and I don’t think you can declare that definitely over just yet. I hope you are right but I am far from certain.

He doesn’t have time. That’s the point. Having a liability at centre back isn’t something we can get away with. He isn’t a YTS lad being picked in the Carling Cup.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

EvilC wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:16 pm We simply are. I’d urge you to look at the league table since you seem confused.

We beat Everton (who all the teams around us also beat), won against a team two divisions below us and secured an excellent point at Newcastle. We have been really poor for a long time and I don’t think you can declare that definitely over just yet. I hope you are right but I am far from certain.

He doesn’t have time. That’s the point. Having a liability at centre back isn’t something we can get away with. He isn’t a YTS lad being picked in the Carling Cup.
I think you can. It’s like people don’t want to believe the evidence before their eyes. If you cannot see the vast strides made since the start of the year I am not sure what you are watching.

Of course it’s not ideal, but I cannot see us losing many games going forward if we can maintain our standard.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2569 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Statistically the team has more success when Kehrer is on the pitch compared to when he isn't. That's my obscure stat of the day.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

Proper footballer and will only get better
El brooko79
Has liked: 3015 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:33 pm Statistically the team has more success when Kehrer is on the pitch compared to when he isn't. That's my obscure stat of the day.
Can you elaborate on that stat?
Seems vague.

In the league he has missed 3 games in which we picked up 3 points. 1 point per game
We picked up 16 points in the 18 he has played.

Hope the lad goes from strength to strength but what are you measuring?
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1981 likes
Total likes: 4715 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

El brooko79 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:15 pm Can you elaborate on that stat?
Seems vague.

In the league he has missed 3 games in which we picked up 3 points. 1 point per game

Hope the lad goes from strength to strength but what are you measuring?
I have no idea but in those 18 games did the result change when he was subbed off or when he was subbed on? That would shift things.
El brooko79
Has liked: 3015 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:17 pm I have no idea but in those 18 games did the result change when he was subbed off or when he was subbed on? That would shift things.
Think yesterday was the first time he ever got subbed off?
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1981 likes
Total likes: 4715 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

El brooko79 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:18 pm Think yesterday was the first time he ever got subbed off?
Then perhaps he's including cup games? Did he play a lot in Europe?
Shabu
Has liked: 4186 likes
Total likes: 2047 likes

Post by Shabu »

El brooko79 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:15 pm Can you elaborate on that stat?
Seems vague.

16 is A LOT A more than 3, mate :grin:
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2569 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I actually misread the stat so sorry everyone :)

I thought it represented both goals scored when player was on the pitch and goals conceded when player was on the pitch (compared to when he wasn't). As it turns out - it's just looking at goals scored.

So it would have been more accurate to say that we score more goals when Kehrer is on the pitch compared to when he isn't. 0.47 goals per 90 more. Zouma has the best figure... +0.74 goals per 90 when he's on the pitch compared to when he isn't.

The site I look at does give a goals scored vs goals conceded whilst player is on the pitch - but doesn't compare it to when he isn't. For that particular stat, top 5 for us (excluding players who barely have any minutes) are Aguerd, Zouma, Emerson, Paqueta, Kehrer. Aguerd is the only player in the squad that doesn't have a negative figure (yet).
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Ironing Board wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:19 pm I think you can. It’s like people don’t want to believe the evidence before their eyes. If you cannot see the vast strides made since the start of the year I am not sure what you are watching.

Of course it’s not ideal, but I cannot see us losing many games going forward if we can maintain our standard.
Vast strides?
That is pushing it a bit!
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Ironing Board wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:19 pm I think you can. It’s like people don’t want to believe the evidence before their eyes. If you cannot see the vast strides made since the start of the year I am not sure what you are watching.

What is the league table? Put that before your eyes.