✍ Thilo Kehrer

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Re: ✍ Thilo Kehrer

Post by S-H »

MAC08 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:39 am He reminds me of how Winston Reid first started off.
Good comparison to be fair.

Although I don't remember Winston making so many clear errors in every game he played.

Hopefully, like Reid he'll turn a corner..
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1364 likes
Total likes: 765 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

S-H wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:58 am Good comparison to be fair.

Although I don't remember Winston making so many clear errors in every game he played.

Hopefully, like Reid he'll turn a corner..
Reid at Villa on his debut was shocking, but turned out pretty well. Kehrer just doesn’t stack up so far, you can’t be a regular for Germany and have played in a CL final on last nights showing, at the moment he, and Emerson for different reasons, look like a waste of £25m, but remembering Reid perhaps we need to see Thilo get a run in his preferred rcb of 3 position before making final judgement. That’s where he said he was bought to play, Kehrer Zouma Aguerd looks good to me but we get back round to the ongoing wing back debate to make it happen. If we play a back 4 I’m not sure where he fits.
miles
This site...
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 421 likes

Post by miles »

West Ham in turning German international defender into Gary Breen impersonator shocker. :angryred:
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1085 likes
Total likes: 1397 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

The guy may end up being a long term shocking signing

Or he just might need a bit of time and to actually find a position in the team.

If it's the former I can't imagine him being here beyond the summer... but if he shows signs between now and the end of the season it could well be the later. Guy need a bit of stability and not to play in a revolving position or with a different partner each week.
I am Legend
Has liked: 1600 likes
Total likes: 1656 likes

Post by I am Legend »

Kehrer is a good footballer. He's been good for Schalke, Germany and PSG.

He is a shell of the player he was a year ago. We absolutely destroy some decent footballers.

You don't go from good footballer to that **** unless something happening behind the scenes or personal life. His mind wasn't there, wasn't focused, kept slipping over when having to turn. Was one of the weirdest and worst performances I've seen in a while.

He needs to get his head right. Oh and played in the right position. Emerson should have started at LB and Kehrer DM, where his best attributes would work best.
happydaystoytown
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 101 likes

Post by happydaystoytown »

It looks like there's a decent player in there somewhere but he plays like he's not fussed about being a professional footballer.

Whether it's a lack of confidence or concentration, we can't afford his mistakes in vital areas at the moment, he needs benching for a while.

Johnson is a much more limited player, technically but is more reliable defensively.

With team confidence so low, we can't afford liabilities, we need steady and reliable right now!
Pete647580
Has liked: 1216 likes
Total likes: 587 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

I wonder what Moyes is seeing that we're missing. To me Kehrer is an absolute liability in most games, yet he keeps getting selected. It can't just be because he's versatile.
Cornelius Beal
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Cornelius Beal »

1895Hammer wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:06 am Reid at Villa on his debut was shocking, but turned out pretty well. Kehrer just doesn’t stack up so far, you can’t be a regular for Germany and have played in a CL final on last nights showing, at the moment he, and Emerson for different reasons, look like a waste of £25m, but remembering Reid perhaps we need to see Thilo get a run in his preferred rcb of 3 position before making final judgement. That’s where he said he was bought to play, Kehrer Zouma Aguerd looks good to me but we get back round to the ongoing wing back debate to make it happen. If we play a back 4 I’m not sure where he fits.
That's the key. Reid shocking on his debut at right back. Feels like Kehrer not helped out of position at left back. Needs to find his to be established if he is a right back or centre back. Ben Johnson similar too.
westlondonhammer

Pete647580 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:47 am I wonder what Moyes is seeing that we're missing. To me Kehrer is an absolute liability in most games, yet he keeps getting selected. It can't just be because he's versatile.
Probably because he is fit / match fit... can't say that for many others :crylol:

I don't think we'll see him at LB again, but it was worthwhile trying him out there

It could be that he will only be used primarily for European games where the pace of the game and expectations are different to the PL and where he has a bucket load of experience (i.e. the defensive equivalent of Areola right now).
anjado
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by anjado »

I will say he did two things well yesterday, firstly I felt when he was left back he helped us push up the pitch and pressed well, he also put in 2 first time crosses which is something we fail to do enough when we put crosses in.

When he first joined his passing was really good he passed between the lines and did that well.

He was awful in pretty much every other department but I feel the more we play on the front foot the more he might improve.
The Green Man
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by The Green Man »

As soon as he went RB they switched their play to that side and got joy, he's a liability unfortunately and for me doesn't seem to have that 'fight'. PSG fans seemed to say the same when I took a look on their forums after we'd signed him.

Weird as he has all the attributes and good footwork but just doesn't seem to have the desire or grit. There was a marked difference between him and Coufal (who put himself about all game).
I am Legend wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:40 am Kehrer is a good footballer. He's been good for Schalke, Germany and PSG.

He is a shell of the player he was a year ago. We absolutely destroy some decent footballers.
PSG fans hated him, read their forums, he had a semi decent spell for a couple of months but bar that was a massive liability, he was also subbed off in the WC from memory.

For sure there is a player in there but I think he has some mentality issues that will stop him being a top top player.
Last edited by The Green Man on Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Poor bloke is getting pelters, yes he had a bad game but give the bloke a chance, so far this season he's been used as a square peg in as many round holes as Moyes can find.

He's clearly a very decent athlete both decent height and pace (a rarity in this squad) and must have some technical ability to have played for Schalke, PSG and Germany. Lets not forget it was not all that long ago that we were chanting his name down at Southampton - give him a chance to bed in and maybe consistently play him in 1 position and we might see a decent player in there.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

It's a new league for him, and a new team. So far he's played centre-back in a two (both left sided and right sided), centre back in a three, left-back, right-back, and right-wingback. It really can't be easy to settle in to a new team when you're being shifted around like that. I feel a bit sorry for him to be honest. Back lines need to be stable... the more they're disrupted, the worse they perform. Partnerships need to be built and he's had no opportunity to do that. Yesterday he had a nightmare in the first half but thought he was starting to find his feet in the second half - before he was shifted position yet again.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

I am Legend wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:40 am Kehrer is a good footballer. He's been good for Schalke, Germany and PSG.

You don't go from good footballer to that **** unless something happening behind the scenes or personal life. His mind wasn't there, wasn't focused, kept slipping over when having to turn. Was one of the weirdest and worst performances I've seen in a while.

He needs to get his head right. Oh and played in the right position. Emerson should have started at LB and Kehrer DM, where his best attributes would work best.
The problem is he is a good footballer but awful at the rest, decision making, concentration which are vital for a defender, in a back three you might get away with it but him in a four no chance, he will always make mistakes as he just likes key almost mental skills and game reading
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

the sad fact is, we still need better right back and left backs.
we could sell two and the two remaining ones used as backups. next season id like to see ashby and longelo being given some games. but knowing us they will both be sold.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Is Longelo still doing well out on loan?
westlondonhammer

kitthehammer wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:30 pm the sad fact is, we still need better right back and left backs.
we could sell two and the two remaining ones used as backups. next season id like to see ashby and longelo being given some games. but knowing us they will both be sold.
Unfortunately we do still need upgrades

What I do feel we're landing on though is a cup (mainly Europe) team vs a league team and that is a good thing for the rest of the season. Last season we had 1 team for all competitions for large bulks of the season.

Cup: Areola, Johnson, Kehrer, Ogbonna (c), Emerson, Downes, Lanzini, Coventry, Fornals / Benrahma, Antonio, Cornet
League: Fabianski, Coufal, Zouma, Aguerd, Cresswell, Rice (c), Soucek, Pacqueta, Benrahma / Fornals, Scamacca, Bowen

Later stages of the cup we might see some more cross-over like we are now with the league team while we still work out the best formula and while there are lots of fixtures.

Back to the point... Kehrer for me now falls into cup team territory (i.e., a fresh back up), as does Emerson... when the hope was both would have done enough to prove themselves good enough to remove the current League first teamers in the way Pacqueta and Scamacca are but there is still time.

If they don't by the end of the season and we don't have Europe next season I'd expect them to go. If they don't and we do have Europe next season I'd expect them to stay, unless we bring in significant upgrades in the first team positions they are looking to occupy (i.e. a decent LB). This window I expect to see very little other than a loan to cover Cornet and a loan to cover Zouma / Dawson (if he goes).
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 765 likes
Total likes: 3503 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

westlondonhammer wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:16 amGuy need a bit of stability and not to play in a revolving position or with a different partner each week.
I think this is the key point.

As per Burnley's post. He's recently moved to a foreign country, where the language isn't his first and is being asked to play in different positions on a regular basis.

Give him time.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

kitthehammer wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:30 pm the sad fact is, we still need better right back and left backs.
Why? I've never seen really both play but if both are good enough they will, more than likely they end up in the Champions/League One or lower like most youngsters long term
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I know he has been going through a sticky patch, and last night was more quicksand than sticky, but I think there is a real player in there still and remain hopeful. The only position he hasn't played is striker, playing with different defenders around him for how many games this season? You need to build partnerships.

I still think he will come good and we will see a very good player.