✍ Thilo Kehrer

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 2951 likes
Total likes: 2607 likes

Re: ✍ Thilo Kehrer

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:22 pm I was being sarcastic, but I can’t tell whether you knew that or not with your response, but I agree with you completely here anyway.

Scamacca had no pre season with Sassuolo either. I saw you and Misko in discussion about Paqueta/Lyon, which was an interesting read from both of you. Kehrer I have no idea about pre-season, but he was thrown in. Regardless, as my avatar would suggest, I am quite happy with how Kehrer has performed overall and think a couple of mistakes, now means that he gets given a bigger part in an error or us conceding a goal than he should. There’s also little
mention of the tackles he made up at Old Trafford or against Wolves that were fantastic. Winning us possession both times and enabling us to get up the pitch or stop the opposition from doing so.
:shake:

Good spot, especially with the one from OT. Thilo is one of those progressive defenders. Not one of those stop/start guys. Instead: Tackling, but then quick into the next action; getting the ball forward and create.

He'll come good.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:27 pm :shake:

Good spot, especially with the one from OT. Thilo is one of those progressive defenders. Not one of those stop/start guys. Instead: Tackling, but then quick into the next action; getting the ball forward and create.

He'll come good.
I agree. Both he and Aguard are what we used to call 'footballers' very much in the West Ham mould. The way they play is going to throw up the odd mistake, but we used to be a lot more accepting of that fact years ago.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 354 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Good to see him getting some appreciation :newthumb:

I think he is decent, and given he has played in an ever changing back 3/4/5 in different positions, with a variety of defensive teammates, he has impressed.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

GK
Kehrer Zouma Aguerd
RWB Rice Paqueta LWB
Fornals/Benrahma
Scamacca 'Pacey Forward'

Would probably work a treat for all of our players.

Cornet or Bowen could fill the Pacey Forward role. Or Benrahma and Fornals could play behind Scamacca.

In tougher games Soucek or Downes could replace Fornals/Benrahma and make a midfield three with Rice and Paqueta.
Last edited by Bubbles Fortuna on Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:29 pm GK
Kehrer Zouma Aguerd
LWB Rice Paqueta RWB
Fornals/Benrahma
Scamacca 'Pacey Forward'
Inverted wingbacks, very crafty.

Fwiw I'd have Thilo at RWB (proper right side though).
Think he has given us the best possession, crossing, passing of anyone in our back line.
But yes, it makes us a CB short.
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 518 likes
Total likes: 219 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

funky chicken wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:14 am Still hasn’t really played as a right wingback yet. Would like to see how he gets on there.
Will be interesting to see how Germany use him at the World Cup. Against England back in September he played at RWB and was solid, if not spectacular.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

I agree that Thilo is one of our best passers and ideally, is part of the football we are trying to move to.

But you can't be responsible for a massive chance/goal every game. As a defender, you just can't.

It's costing us more than his tidy passing is helping us. If Johnson made this many mistakes, he'd be getting crucified on here. Johnson probably has made less defensive mistakes leading to goals in his West Ham career than Kehrer has.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:00 pm I agree that Thilo is one of our best passers and ideally, is part of the football we are trying to move to.

But you can't be responsible for a massive chance/goal every game. As a defender, you just can't.

It's costing us more than his tidy passing is helping us. If Johnson made this many mistakes, he'd be getting crucified on here. Johnson probably has made less defensive mistakes leading to goals in his West Ham career than Kehrer has.
How many mistakes has he made that led to goals?
Talking mistakes, not just getting beaten at some point during a goal?

Are we talking unforced errors?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

He's at least registered one on the Premier Leagye site.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top ... ad_to_goal
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

El brooko79 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:38 pm How many mistakes has he made that led to goals?
Talking mistakes, not just getting beaten at some point during a goal?

Are we talking unforced errors?
Honestly, most games. Whether they are registered technically as mistakes or not, anyone with eyes should be able to see he’s good for one big one a game.

I like him technically, but that isn’t going to cut it.

Brighton - penalty
Tottenham - own goal
Chelsea - first goal
FCSB - wrong side, all over the place first goal
Silkeborg - wrong side, all over the place first goal
Liverpool - ruined by Nunez for the goal
Man U - ruined by Rashford for the goal, harsh but also is what happened, didn’t even jump
Crystal Palace - big error for first goal, as culpable as Dawson
Leicester - first goal, beaten down his channel easily with a simple ball behind him

And that’s leaving out Viborg where he comes on and gets jumped on for their goal, and Everton where it was just a good goal and poor defending across the board, but could argue it was still Kehrer’s man who came off him and scored the goal.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Colours never run wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:07 am It'd because players arriving from abroad who are not familiar with a new League, that they need more time to get to grips with it.
Very true, it took Haaland a whole 36 minutes to score a Premier League goal.

Kehrer's not bad. I like him. Think he's got a lot going for him.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Post by MB »

I thought he was forming a good partnership with Zouma and then we shunted him to right back which doesn't seem to suit him at all (for us, international football is completely different).

To my mind we use him as a centre half with license to play or it is a fairly pointless having him.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

MB wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:36 pm I thought he was forming a good partnership with Zouma and then we shunted him to right back which doesn't seem to suit him at all (for us, international football is completely different).

To my mind we use him as a centre half with license to play or it is a fairly pointless having him.
That's a fair point I think.

Although, I wasn't totally convinced about his performances as a centre back. He did reasonably well there.

He seems to lack a positional sense sometimes....almost a lack of discipline in that respect. A bit head chickeny. A bit rash. He thinks he's quicker than he is .....and that gets him into trouble.

A likeable character in a new league. So my judgement isn't fully rounded yet......just a few of the negative observations so far. He has positives too but he has stuff to work on in this league to be a real success.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Post by MB »

TBF DC, I have a bit of bias as I think when he plays centre back then we get a lot more out of Soucek as he gets another easy option if he gets pressed. Doesn't work as well with Kehrer at right back.

You are completely correct that he has the odd lapse, but who better to work on that with him than Moyes?

If we are playing a two then Zouma and Aguerd would be my expected options, but Zehrer as an option to make that a three or to cover what I suspect Aguerd's role will be makes a lot of sense.

Fullback or DM (someone had to take that one over from Diop I guess...) just a no for me.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:50 pm Honestly, most games. Whether they are registered technically as mistakes or not, anyone with eyes should be able to see he’s good for one big one a game.

I like him technically, but that isn’t going to cut it.

Brighton - penalty
Tottenham - own goal
Chelsea - first goal
FCSB - wrong side, all over the place first goal
Silkeborg - wrong side, all over the place first goal
Liverpool - ruined by Nunez for the goal
Man U - ruined by Rashford for the goal, harsh but also is what happened, didn’t even jump
Crystal Palace - big error for first goal, as culpable as Dawson
Leicester - first goal, beaten down his channel easily with a simple ball behind him

And that’s leaving out Viborg where he comes on and gets jumped on for their goal, and Everton where it was just a good goal and poor defending across the board, but could argue it was still Kehrer’s man who came off him and scored the goal.
What an odd list. The Spurs own goal?! Basically tapping it in as he desperately tried to clear from the Spurs forward. The Palace goal was 90% Dawson’s fault as well.

Players are humans and defenders will always make mistakes. For some reason a lot of people have it out for Kehrer, despite the fact he looks one of the better signings so far. He needs time to find his feet.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

I wouldn't include the Tottenham one at all. If he doesn't try to stop it, Son has a tap in and it's a goal. It was also a typical quick break of theirs that you simply can't allow. Rice gave the ball away in Gerrard mode for it.

Man Utd, yes he might have been able to look like he could've done more, but could he have really? The issue was 3 of ours not stopping a cross from one. The cross then became one of ridiculous high quality and that was that.

Crystal Palace. Harsh again. Not as culpbale as Dawson for me. A horrendously **** pass. Miscontrolled yes, but not exactly easy to control in the first place. Had he miscontrolled a simple pass, then fair enough.

He certainly is in for at least 2/3. I feel that those 2/3 means he gets a bigger share of the blame for ones that he has a minimal/lesser part in.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

kehrer is a mistake every game type. thats why he went for 10m. not good enough for RB. RWB maybe. RCB doubt it. good squad player as can cover but not a starter for me. however gets a go because we are so weak at RB.

signing van bissaka would improve us immensely . kehrer can then cover RB and RCB . we can let coufal and ashby,if he wants to, go

international football is much slower than the PL and not as intense so I expect kehrer and paqueta to do well
Take It to the Limit
Has liked: 1201 likes
Total likes: 411 likes

Post by Take It to the Limit »

Must admit, I still think there’s a good player there. But whilst I’ve been critical of him, like other new signings, we’ve not quite worked out what he’s best at.
Coufal has always been my first choice rb in this squad. So far I’ve seen nothing to convince me otherwise.
I feel Zouma’s immobility is starting to show though and Dawson doesn’t seem to be as reliable as he was. Purely an opinion and I’m sure people with refer to stats, blah blah blah, but the problems run deeper than Kehrer imo.
lincolnhammer1963
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 96 likes

Post by lincolnhammer1963 »

Thats the problem with German products, they just don't make em like they use too.

This one needs to go back to the manufacturer, its faulty, seems to keep veering to left when it should be in the middle.
Somethings wrong with it
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

lincolnhammer1963 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:41 pm Thats the problem with German products, they just don't make em like they use too.

This one needs to go back to the manufacturer, its faulty, seems to keep veering to left when it should be in the middle.
Somethings wrong with it

:grin: