✍ Thilo Kehrer

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5671 likes
Total likes: 3094 likes

Re: ✍ Thilo Kehrer

Post by MB »

He did fine yesterday. Expecting him to block the shot or Rice to intercept the pass is asking for perfection. The damage for that goal was done further up the pitch when Iwobi was given a week and a half to pick the pass.
Romfordboy
Has liked: 150 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by Romfordboy »

I thought him and zouma did well yesterday
BoleynInsider
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by BoleynInsider »

Romfordboy wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:21 am I thought him and zouma did well yesterday
Thought they were our two best players, depressing thought given the scoreline…
steps
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by steps »

I’d have Dawson back in for the Wolves game for a back-to-basics approach.

Not wanting to get on Kerher’s back but costly errors leading to goals is not what we need right now.
MB

Post by MB »

I’m willing to bet Dawson doesn’t block that either. It looks bad in slow motion, but it all happens so quickly that all Kehrer can do is the instinctive reaction to block where he thinks the shot will go. Fab also gets caught out by the decision.

The problem for the goal (and too much of the first hour) was our midfield and fullbacks making Iwobi and Gray look like Iniesta and Messi!
stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1037 likes

Post by stu1 »

Colours never run wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:28 am He played Dawson on a plastic pitch and we won, he even scored for good measure. Play him next game and stop mucking about. He was a linchpin for our Defence last season and behind a lot of the great work we did both defensively and building play from the back, even spraying balls about the pitch. Surprised it's taken this long to get him back in to be honest.

We need big dependable characters now who also know the League inside and out, knowing exactly what it takes.
Let’s be honest we played against a team that was championship level and benefitted from 2 hugely soft refereeing decisions. We looked far shaker in defence mid week than we did yesterday.

Dawson has also been injured for most of pre-season and most of the beginning of the season. When would you have expected him to be brought back in? He’s been fit about 2 weeks.

In reality our defence has been pretty poor since Ogbonna got injured last season. Dawson performed admirably last season and scored some important goals for us, but we’ve struggled to get clean sheets for 11 months now.

37 points from our last 34 prem games.

I like Dawson but I’m not sure he is going to change our fortunes. I’d also expect Oggy would be ahead of Dawson at this point.

Imo we need to drop players who aren’t comfortable on the ball (Coufal/Soucek) and players bang out of form (Fornals/Bowen) as our passing constantly breaks down, meaning we aren’t dangerous in attack and we bring unnecessary pressure to our defence.
steps
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by steps »

I’m not saying he was at fault for the goal yesterday but errors against Silkeborg, Brighton and Chelsea spring to mind (latter was a bit of a mix up between him and Coufal but no way should Chilwell be scoring from the position).

Personally I’d give him a run in the Euro games and bring back Daws or Ogbonna who have good Premier League experience. Bizarrely though Ogbonna looked good in the ECL then dropped and not seen on the pitch again. Same with Dawson scoring Thursday.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4275 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Just play him at right back.

He’s too small and erratic to be a centre back you’re confident won’t let in a goal with an error, and our current right back is shocking.

Put him at right back and put Dawson in at CB.
MB

Post by MB »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:29 am Just play him at right back.

He’s too small and erratic to be a centre back you’re confident won’t let in a goal with an error, and our current right back is shocking.

Put him at right back and put Dawson in at CB.
Too small? He won how many headers against Onana yesterday?

People are seeing what they want to see. He was one of our best players on the pitch yesterday.

Coufal is a different problem.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

MB wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:46 am Too small? He won how many headers against Onana yesterday?

People are seeing what they want to see. He was one of our best players on the pitch yesterday.

He’s too small.

Even for him to win his headers, he has to fling himself all over the shop and often times he ends up on the floor. What was the Chelsea goal then?

Check him out for Silkeborg’s disallowed goal.

Our aerial threat both attacking and defensive from set pieces is much worse with him in the team over someone like Dawson.

But it’s not just his size. He has an error in him. Almost every game. Silkeborg’s first goal. Last minute against Silkeborg when he randomly flew out and handballed it and took himself out of the play. His part in FCSB’s goal.

He’s too erratic for me to play CB in the Prem. And he’s too small. I fully stand by that.

However he clearly has a set of good traits and I think he’d be a far better RB for us than Coufal. I also think that position would help to limit the amount of times we hurt by his bad traits.
MB

Post by MB »

We’ll have to agree to disagree on this one AH. Dawson is two steps back (literally). We need to embrace what we have that can take us forward not look back.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

MB wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:12 am We’ll have to agree to disagree on this one AH. Dawson is two steps back (literally). We need to embrace what we have that can take us forward not look back.
I know what you mean with Dawson.

In an ideal world I’d like to have Aguerd in there alongside Zouma, with Kehrer sharing the RB position with Johnson.

I’m just not convinced that the progressiveness that Kehrer affords us is enough to offset the rick it feels like he has in him every game.

Even when he plays well, he gives me the impression of someone who can still give the opposition a goal, whether because of a mistake or just what I perceive to be his natural limitations at the CB position.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

MB wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:12 am We’ll have to agree to disagree on this one AH. Dawson is two steps back (literally). We need to embrace what we have that can take us forward not look back.
Not look back? We're in the bottom 3 playing woeful negative football whilst struggling to score and keep clean sheets. I'd take 2 steps back Dawson in defence to get a grip of our Team as he's one of our best communicators in the squad with the know-how to get us back on the right track.
Diogenes
Has liked: 478 likes
Total likes: 1199 likes

Post by Diogenes »

MB wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:46 am Too small? He won how many headers against Onana yesterday?

I agree and I thought his distribution was generally spot on. As with most of our new recruits they are learning the hard way the demands of the Premier League, so I am not surprised some errors occur. Also, he is 6' 1" which hardly small. Some appear to be looking for perfection, which is unrealistic at this early stage of his integration.
Last edited by Diogenes on Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
MB

Post by MB »

Colours never run wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:28 am Not look back? We're in the bottom 3 playing woeful negative football whilst struggling to score and keep clean sheets. I'd take 2 steps back Dawson in defence to get a grip of our Team as he's one of our best communicators in the squad with the know-how to get us back on the right track.
Until he gets turned inside out by someone with pace when we leave him one on one again.

The centre halves were not the problem yesterday.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

MB wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:30 am Until he gets turned inside out by someone with pace when we leave him one on one again.

The centre halves were not the problem yesterday.
Pundits on Match of the Day disagreed and said much of how I saw it too for the goal. It was poor defending.

As for Dawson getting turned inside out, this is the same fella who was a mainstay last season that contributed to a lot of our good play in the early part of the season and then in Europe too. We weren't flirting at any time at the bottom of the League either. Play your best players whilst they're available and Dawson is waiting on the sidelines when he should be back in the side doing what he does best.
EssexIron
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 54 likes

Post by EssexIron »

It doesn't matter how well he passes the ball if he's going to cost us a goal every game.
Colours never run

EssexIron wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:40 am It doesn't matter how well he passes the ball if he's going to cost us a goal every game.
Some are fetishisising too much over the need to pass better whilst overlooking other key issues that keep arising like errors leading to goals. I like a decent passer of the ball as the next person, but I also really value preventing Teams from scoring too and 1 player keeps getting involved in them in 1 way or another.

I really do think we would be doing Kehrer a favour by taking him out the firing line so to take stock of what's going on, having only arrived 5 minutes ago. And what's even weirder is we have done that to Scamacca by going easier on him and yet it's at the back you need to be more careful with as errors leas to goals. His time will come, it's just not now whilst we're in the ****.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

I’m getting the feeling we can only really play him in a back three or as a right sided midfielder.

Kehrer…..Zouma…..Aguerd
MB

Post by MB »

Colours never run wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:37 am Pundits on Match of the Day disagreed and said much of how I saw it too for the goal. It was poor defending.
Based on watching it half a dozen times in slow motion. If he goes to block the near post and Maupay curls it into the far corner then they’d equally be slowing it down and explaining why he got it wrong.

Not every goal is preventable. Kehrer had a 50:50 choice and so did Fabianski. They both chose wrong, but the ball fell perfectly for Maupay and he hit it hard and fast so they had to guess. There was no time to do anything else.

Don’t give Iwobi a week to play the pass and we don’t concede.