✍ Thilo Kehrer

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Re: ✍ Thilo Kehrer

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Wilko1304 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:48 pm Exactly. He’s playing right back because the two ahead of him have both got problems.

I would guess that getting him more consistent at the back is more likely than Johnson finding any attacking verve or passing soon, and more likely than Coufal’s passing improving.

Saying that, I do think we’re missing Vlad’s presence on the right. He’s not great playing out, but he’s quite productive in attack and can hold a flank alone.
Was that a shock though? I'm not surprised. Coufal played out of his skin and well above his level for a year and BJ probably hasn't ever been good enough. For a top 8 premier league side neither are good enough and before that at RB we had Fredericks, Zabaleta, Jenkinson and Antonio playing there, years of under-investment catching up on us in a position that is becoming more and more vital in the Premier League.

I do agree though, I'd play Coufal at RB going forward, something just doesn't convince me with Kehrer at RB. He's a right in a 3 all day long for me, like Kyle Walker does for England.
OnePaulHilton
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by OnePaulHilton »

Have changed my.mind after last night's game. Made a good amount of money on him being booked.
If he plays RB for us for the rest of the season he could get me through the cost of living crisis.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Of our 4 options at RB and a relegation run in, it’s still got to be Coufal for me.

If you’ve any doubts about Kehrer’s inadequacies at RB, take a look on the response of Germans on Twitter the other night. And arguably PL demands are higher than World Cup standards.
Southminster Hammer
Has liked: 309 likes
Total likes: 109 likes

Post by Southminster Hammer »

I'm not going to right him off, he must be of decent stock to play for who he has? He has come straight into a struggling team, for whatever reason, has been lacking in fitness and confidence from the start. I'm sure we haven't seen the best of him yet, I remember a few months ago people raving about his display for Germany.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Westbourne Bill wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:22 am Of our 4 options at RB and a relegation run in, it’s still got to be Coufal for me.

If you’ve any doubts about Kehrer’s inadequacies at RB, take a look on the response of Germans on Twitter the other night. And arguably PL demands are higher than World Cup standards.
Lothar Matthaus: “For example the formation of the full-backs. Why doesn't (Thilo) Kehrer play, who has always played lately? The goals conceded came from outside. Süle is not a full-back. At 2-1, the space is far too far forward, but defenders are there to defend.”
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2651 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Post by EvilC »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:41 am Lothar Matthaus: “For example the formation of the full-backs. Why doesn't (Thilo) Kehrer play, who has always played lately? The goals conceded came from outside. Süle is not a full-back. At 2-1, the space is far too far forward, but defenders are there to defend.”
Is the answer “because of his form at West Ham”?
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Come back Faubert, all is forgiven!
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1171 likes
Total likes: 680 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

Thoughts: did we expect perfection for 10m, or an upgrade on those we let go (e.g. Fredericks and Arthur)?

Every single player we’ve ever signed, and I include Bobby, made rickets and had bad patches. Others have only become heroes after they retired as the mist of time eradicated their occasional but impactful misdemeanours.

I recall an insightful post about August time in the transfer thread when some bright spark steered:

‘Let’s all try and give our new faces time to settle, and our old faces time to settle with the new faces. It could take months.”

That person was clearly wise……….😉 you don’t suddenly become average just because you join West Ham, although some would have you believe and expect it.

Keep the faith guys. It’s our best squad ever…and I’ve seen a few.
👍
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

One of the things that often surprises me is that when a group of fans decide that a player isn't any good they almost seem pleased when he makes mistakes or has a bad match, gets subbed early, scores an own goal or gets carded. I don't get that, I really don't.

Everything points to Kehrer being a good signing for West Ham - his age, his stats, his career, his height and physicality and previous transfer fees. I thought he was an excellent signing when he came in, and I still think he'll come good and turn out to be a solid player for us but yes, he seems to be going through a bad patch & is having difficulty adapting to the Premier League, and that seems to be affecting his form and match time with Germany

So rather than being happy when he messes up let's be happy that he's a WH player playing in a World Cup for a top quality national team
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 746 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

We need a new RB as coufal is off , BJ not good enough yet and kehrer makes too many mistakes !
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1186 likes
Total likes: 928 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

libero wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:17 pm One of the things that often surprises me is that when a group of fans decide that a player isn't any good they almost seem pleased when he makes mistakes or has a bad match, gets subbed early, scores an own goal or gets carded. I don't get that, I really don't.
Agreed, I want both Kehrer and Paqueta to have good tournaments and return in good form for West Ham, some people seem to want the opposite!
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1778 likes

Post by hammers92 »

From what I’ve seen of Germany’s 2 matches, I’m even more confused as to what his strongest position is.
OnePaulHilton

Post by OnePaulHilton »

I wanted him to be as bad as he was for Germany so that Moyes sees that he is not a premier League full back

I like him as a footballer and hope he turns out to be a success in a three or maybe even as a holding midfielder
OnePaulHilton

Post by OnePaulHilton »

Also I was happy when he got carded as I made money,
As I was with one of my all time favourites John Moncur.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

libero wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:17 pm One of the things that often surprises me is that when a group of fans decide that a player isn't any good they almost seem pleased when he makes mistakes or has a bad match, gets subbed early, scores an own goal or gets carded. I don't get that, I really don't.

Everything points to Kehrer being a good signing for West Ham - his age, his stats, his career, his height and physicality and previous transfer fees. I thought he was an excellent signing when he came in, and I still think he'll come good and turn out to be a solid player for us but yes, he seems to be going through a bad patch & is having difficulty adapting to the Premier League, and that seems to be affecting his form and match time with Germany

So rather than being happy when he messes up let's be happy that he's a WH player playing in a World Cup for a top quality national team
What about his performances?

I’m not sure that anyone here is happy about him dropping a bollock every game. There is lots about him to really like - he is a fast, aggressive, modern defender. But there is a question as to what his best position is, and he needs to cut the big errors out, no matter what position he is going to play.
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

I know about his performances, I watch every WH match and I know full well that he's had quite a few poor matches and made some mistakes. We all know that, so there's no point coming on here and pointing out something that is obvious

The point I'm making is a different one. I'm saying that when my club has a player is an international competition, I always hope they do well because it's good for the player and good for West Ham, and yet it seems to be the case that there are quite a few West Ham fans who seem to revel in seeing our players mess up, which is something I really don't understand.

I hope Thilo plays for Germany today, plays really well but ends up on the losing side!
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

libero wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:41 pm I know about his performances, I watch every WH match and I know full well that he's had quite a few poor matches and made some mistakes. We all know that, so there's no point coming on here and pointing out something that is obvious

The point I'm making is a different one. I'm saying that when my club has a player is an international competition, I always hope they do well because it's good for the player and good for West Ham, and yet it seems to be the case that there are quite a few West Ham fans who seem to revel in seeing our players mess up, which is something I really don't understand.

I hope Thilo plays for Germany today, plays really well but ends up on the losing side!
One of the points you were making was that "Everything points to Kehrer being a good signing for West Ham - his age, his stats, his career, his height and physicality and previous transfer fees". Having seen his performances (which you admit have been not great), and if you know (watching every game, as you do) that we seem to be struggling to find a position for him, I do not believe that the statement "everything points to Kehrer being a good signing for West Ham" is true - because his performances and the fact that we don't seem to be able to deploy him in a position that works for him and us don't point to that at all.
steps
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 253 likes

Post by steps »

From WhoScored:

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

EvilC wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:32 pm What about his performances?

I’m not sure that anyone here is happy about him dropping a bollock every game. There is lots about him to really like - he is a fast, aggressive, modern defender. But there is a question as to what his best position is, and he needs to cut the big errors out, no matter what position he is going to play.
Thing is he hasn't dropped a"bollock" every game, people just love to jump on players backs

Take the pen, sold short by zouma ,adapting to new league, it happens
The "own goal" he had to try to get something on it, otherwise son had a tap in

The header against rashford. Sorry but cutting out the cross is important., He had to hold his ground otherwise wouldn't have been able to challenge. He lost out to a fantastic header. Not dropping a bollock

That goal where Dawson whacks the ball to him, he tries to keep in then Dawson doesn't go for it that's on Dawson not him

Far to many "errors" are just being found to suit
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

mumbles87 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:08 pm Thing is he hasn't dropped a"bollock" every game, people just love to jump on players backs

Take the pen, sold short by zouma ,adapting to new league, it happens
The "own goal" he had to try to get something on it, otherwise son had a tap in

The header against rashford. Sorry but cutting out the cross is important., He had to hold his ground otherwise wouldn't have been able to challenge. He lost out to a fantastic header. Not dropping a bollock

That goal where Dawson whacks the ball to him, he tries to keep in then Dawson doesn't go for it that's on Dawson not him

Far to many "errors" are just being found to suit
"Adapting to a new league" doesn't mean it isn't an error. I don't blame him for the OG and the Dawson thing was mainly on Dawson.

The dropping a bollock every game statement was hyperbole - but he has, for me, made far more errors than you would hope for or expect.