West Ham Utd 0-2 Brighton & Hove Albion (21/8/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Ilford Paolo
Has liked: 405 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd vs Brighton & Hove Albion: Match Thread

Post by Ilford Paolo »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:19 am I think not having 2 recognised / dependable CBs is really hurting us and oggy and Dawson need to come back ASAP. Why kehrer went to ground is anyone's guess as there was no need. Welbeck was at a tough angle and if he scores then fair enough, but at least let the striker earn the goal... don't give him a gift of a penalty ffs.

Before the man City pen we looked comfortable and not sure they troubled us before then.
Before the Brighton penalty we looked comfortable and they didbt trouble us before then.
Can't keep giving sides 1 goal head starts at this level as statistically its so hard to come back.
Watching live from the BML we thought Zouma should be mostly be blamed for the penalty as he had two easy passes to his right but lost possession high up the pitch.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Ilford Paolo wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:04 pm Watching live from the BML we thought Zouma should be mostly be blamed for the penalty as he had two easy passes to his right but lost possession high up the pitch.
I agree that Zouma was mostly to blame, playing a hopeful pass that gave the ball away when most of his team mates were around the opposition penalty area. However, you would expect an experienced defender like Kehrer to not dive in on the edge of the penalty area (or inside it) with minimal chance of winning the ball and the striker is not heading directly towards the goal. So, in my view, both centre backs take a fair amount of blame for the first goal.
Take It to the Limit
Has liked: 1201 likes
Total likes: 411 likes

Post by Take It to the Limit »

Estuary wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:03 pm In terms of Scamacca or Antonio leading the line I don't think it matters, our passing into the forward positions is so poor we could have prime Tony Cottee and still not score and it's been that way since teams worked out how to defend against us to nullify the counter attacking threat. Drop off and defend the 18 yard line and West Ham will struggle as we don't have a passer good enough to open up the defence nor do we cross the ball sufficiently well, neither with the timing or the accuracy, to retain the advantage.
Yep, even Ronaldo struggles to score when he’s not being given the ball in the right places. The top player in the world basically saved Man U’s @rse almost singled handedly last season. And with all due respect, neither Scamacca or Antonio are a ‘Ronaldo.’
If it isn’t addressed, Scamacca will simply end up as another frustrated Haller.
For me, a front duo of Scamacca and Bowen or Antonio, being fed by Cornet, Fornals and/or Benrahma (there are various options) plus Cresswell’s crossing, is quite a formidable on paper. But right now we’re like a toothless tiger.
one.paulhilton
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by one.paulhilton »

Watching from a very good stream, if we are going to start blaming players for losing possession in the opposing half as opposed to someone making a needless, reckless tackle on the edge of the box, then we are in big trouble
Take It to the Limit

Hampshire Hammer wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:41 pm I agree that Zouma was mostly to blame, playing a hopeful pass that gave the ball away when most of his team mates were around the opposition penalty area. However, you would expect an experienced defender like Kehrer to not dive in on the edge of the penalty area (or inside it) with minimal chance of winning the ball and the striker is not heading directly towards the goal. So, in my view, both centre backs take a fair amount of blame for the first goal.
To be fair, initial contact was clearly outside the box but VAR deemed fit to discount that and opt for the ‘second’ contact on the line. Not really sure what else he could’ve done personally. Welbeck’s an experienced player and would’ve known that.
Watching Zouma trot back after he initially lost the ball though… **** me! My 80 yo mother in law could’ve tracked back quicker 😂
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

There was no need for Kehrer to dive in like that, rash defending.
MilkyBarKid16
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by MilkyBarKid16 »

A fresh pair of eyes would start Scamacca and Cornet ahead of Antonio and Benrahma in a heartbeat.

For the record, I'm not saying Moyes should go - he just needs to stop being so stubborn and approach the squad as if they've never played together. Our best team isn't what's being put out.
Estuary
Has liked: 275 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by Estuary »

Take It Easy wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:44 pm Yep, even Ronaldo struggles to score when he’s not being given the ball in the right places. The top player in the world basically saved Man U’s @rse almost singled handedly last season. And with all due respect, neither Scamacca or Antonio are a ‘Ronaldo.’
If it isn’t addressed, Scamacca will simply end up as another frustrated Haller.
For me, a front duo of Scamacca and Bowen or Antonio, being fed by Cornet, Fornals and/or Benrahma (there are various options) plus Cresswell’s crossing, is quite a formidable on paper. But right now we’re like a toothless tiger.
This poor passing in the final third has been an issue since Jan, and I don't feel we have a player in our squad who is at least equal to prime Lanzini in passing terms and we need one.
Cresswell's days of starting PL matches are over now we have signed Emerson.
Take It to the Limit

Estuary wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:58 pm This poor passing in the final third has been an issue since Jan, and I don't feel we have a player in our squad who is at least equal to prime Lanzini in passing terms and we need one.
Cresswell's days of starting PL matches are over now we have signed Emerson.
Yes, been a long time problem. I think Fornals is underrated in that role though and not being allowed the freedom he needs. Cress still has a lot to offer (I realise I may be in the minority there) but we’re never going to have a player who doesn’t have weaknesses. We all have flaws and I can’t knock a player who makes the odd mistake but give it their all. However, I’ve got no time for players who have the talent but lack the commitment.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Clyde Best wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:50 pm Watching yesterday there was a clear difference between the teams, Brighton worked their arses off to create movement and space, they passed and moved and new where the next out ball would need to go, they often played simple triangles that left our lot flat footed and chasing. They worked hard to support each other with and without the ball. We on the other hand played passes and then sat back and admired them, there was one point where Rice played a 30 yard pass to Benny to set him off down the left wing, he was immediately swamped by 4 Brighton players and all he could do was hit a cross into the Brighton penalty area in the vain hope someone had made a run, meanwhile Rice was simply jogging towards him, no effort to help him or provide him with an option. Not digging Rice out here, there were plenty of other examples where we simply did not make the effort, or didn't seem to want the ball. I don't mind losing to well drilled teams like Brighton, I do mind if West Ham players don't put in the required effort to compete in a game.
This is what gets my guts. It is not just Brighton. It is Fulham, it is Newcastle, it even Hassenhutl's ****ing Southamton ****ing pressing teams, but dinasaur Moyes still just let's teams piss all over his
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

smuts wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:51 pm There was no need for Kehrer to dive in like that, rash defending.
Blame the manager for not bedding him in properly.
Estuary

Post by Estuary »

Puff Daddy wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:13 pm This is what gets my guts. It is not just Brighton. It is Fulham, it is Newcastle, it even Hassenhutl's ****ing Southamton ****ing pressing teams, but dinasaur Moyes still just let's teams piss all over his
Take a look at the last two seasons league tables while Moyes has been with us second time, you'll find the answer to your pain in both.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Vic_Watson wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:16 pm Blame the manager for not bedding him in properly.
Just watch his highlights, he's on his arse more than his feet. He makes LOTS of risky tackles. His highlights are a series of tackles that are so close to being pens and that's for a team that is street ahead the best in the league.
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by costa75 »

Up the Junction wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:05 am This has been explained many times - because they're not match fit. Scamacca, Cornet, Kehrer, none have had the benefit of a full pre-season programme.

And that's without mentioning the hugely negative impact doing so would have on the established players that have served the club so well over the course of the last two seasons.

I’m not buying this…… What was Scamacca doing during pre-season in Italy? Scoffing pizza, shovelling pasta into his mouth and slurping on gelato? You could argue that our pre-season is more intense, but he has been at the club for over a month now. Also, if our pre-season is so intense why do so many of our players look lethargic and unfit?

Even if he isn’t 100% fit, surely the big money signing should start in front of Antonio who’s recent scoring record in The PL is woeful. Let Scamacca play the first 60 minutes and Antonio come off the bench. Let’s see what he can do.

As for the “negative impact” on our established players if we play our new signings? Do you think Arsenal/Spurs/Chelsea and other clubs we have to compete with to get into the top six have not put their new signings straight in? Yes they have.

No, I’m afraid that there is only two explanations for Moyes not playing the new signings.

1. He has bought them and after watching them closely in training has decided that what we already had is better. A manager cannot spend the money that he has and not improve the first 11. If he does and we continue to lose game after game he has to get the boot.

2. This is the far more likely explanation given Moyes’s comments yesterday and given that GSB have form. He has been given players he did not want or ask for and he is being stubborn and is sticking with what we had to make a point to the board.

Either way, if we do not turn it around quickly both Moyes and West Ham could be in trouble.

As I said after the Man City game……… “Only West Ham could start the season as one of Europe’s big spenders and end up in a worse situation than what we were in. It’s the West Ham we all know and love.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Estuary wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:16 pm Take a look at the last two seasons league tables while Moyes has been with us second time, you'll find the answer to your pain in both.
What about 1986 Bet you bang on about on about that too
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

MilkyBarKid16 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:55 pm A fresh pair of eyes would start Scamacca and Cornet ahead of Antonio and Benrahma in a heartbeat.

For the record, I'm not saying Moyes should go - he just needs to stop being so stubborn and approach the squad as if they've never played together. Our best team isn't what's being put out.
This...
Estuary

Post by Estuary »

Puff Daddy wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:22 pm What about 1986 Bet you bang on about on about that too
Ridiculous.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

costa75 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:05 pm
No, I’m afraid that there is only two explanations for Moyes not playing the new signings.

1. He has bought them and after watching them closely in training has decided that what we already had is better. A manager cannot spend the money that he has and not improve the first 11. If he does and we continue to lose game after game he has to get the boot.

2. This is the far more likely explanation given Moyes’s comments yesterday and given that GSB have form. He has been given players he did not want or ask for and he is being stubborn and is sticking with what we had to make a point to the board.
A third reason is he may not want to drop long serving players who he has already decided will be the back up's in due course while the transfer window is still open.

Cresswell, Antonio wold defo be subject to bids were they left out currently.

Erik ten Hag last night effectively transfer listed Shaw, MaGuire and Ronaldo. All three will leave Man Utd before the end of the window.Their squad can take it, ours couldn't take losing Antonio and Cresswell.

Not yet.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Who, realistically, would be looking to sign Antonio and Cresswell?
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

prophet:marginal wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:39 am Who, realistically, would be looking to sign Antonio and Cresswell?
Nottingham Forest, Newcastle and Everton