House of the Dragon

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Re: House of the Dragon

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Didn't raven boy get pushed out the tower early first series in GOT?
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:16 am Didn't raven boy get pushed out the tower early first series in GOT?
Yes good shout actually! That was the first episode. It feels like such a small moment in comparison looking back, but it was quite a shock that early on.

SPOILER Not that I'm trying to be an avid defender of HOTD here, but I thought the death of Viserys' wife by childbirth was quite horrific and has set up an interesting story
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Fair point on that Stone :newthumb:

Guess I want more sex and exceptional brutal deaths :D
'stone hammer

Post by 'stone hammer »

Don't we all :lol:

Speaking of which the woman that Matt Smith is with should really stick to whoreing, her acting was painful to watch.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Maybe I'm the opposite to most. I had doubts about Matt Smith initially but I don't find his presence too off-putting. The King however is a different story. I just find him soppy, lacking any charm or authority. The complaint against Matt Smith lacking that evil aggression, I think the same complaint could be levelled at all the characters. They lack that edge, just very bland and generic. But it's still early so I'll remain patient.

The crab people look totally fascinating. Like Slipknot :lol:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

not having seen Matt Smith much in anything really, I am a bit disappointed in his character's "evilness" so to speak.

I think the king has to be the way the king is to allow the story to follow.

I also think that (and I did allude to it a bit earlier) the GoT had so many fantastic characters, not all of them were brilliant right from the off, this is a hard follow.

The Imp was obnoxious but changed completely as he progressed
Little Finger I thought was a good bloke who went the opposite way of the Imp
ditto for Lord Varys but then went back again and then again...........
Sansa went from stupid little girl to a right strong person
Bronn was great throughout
Jamie went back and forth
Cersei was just evil right the way through
Arya went from strength to strength

etc. etc .etc.

I'm of course discounting the last series. but a majority of characters really developed all throughout. well those that actually managed to get out of series 1 (Ned Stark)

:winker:

except for Raven Boy who I thought actually got worse and worse and worse. but I guess as he transformed that was how he was supposed to do..I don't know though.

I'm hoping that the majority of these do too.

agree about the crab people but I have no clue who Slipknott are !!!!!!!

:crylol:
iLoveLasagne

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Slipknot, a really popular metal band.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:30 pm

Slipknot, a really popular metal band.
that would explain it !!!!!

:crylol:
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:30 pm Slipknot, a really popular metal band.
With three uttley fantastic albums and some pretty good ones afterward.

Just finished episode two, as many as said it is a rather slow burner, I really want it like this but there is nothing to like at this point. I hope it kicks off soon or I’m going to struggle, signs point in that direction which is good.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I can't remember if I really liked GoT from e01 but I think I did.

I think the characters took off right away.

like him or not, Sean Bean was really good. Jon Snow, Theon, Arya, Cercei and Jamie were also instantly likeable as characters even if you didn't like their personality.

The Imp, Varys also even if you didn't like them were very strong characters.

I haven't found one character in the new one that's either instantly likeable or dis-likeable.

they're all very, very, MEH.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Sorry, can't get into this at all.

Was hooked on GOT immediately but not feeling it with this.

Probably doesn't help that I'm still hurting from season 7 of GOT :lol:
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

2 episodes in i reserve judgement for now, but quite enjoying it so far if Matt Smith is a little annoying. Maybe that's the idea though and we shall all revel in his horrible death :)
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Not only has the show received high praise from critics and audiences alike, but the high ratings for House of the Dragon season 1, episode 1 have now set the record for the biggest HBO premiere of all time, with 10 million viewers tuning into the first episode.

The second episode of HBO's fiery Game of Thrones prequel drew 10.2 million viewers across all platforms Sunday night, the network announced Monday. That marks a 2% increase from the Aug. 21 premiere, which itself set a record as the biggest series opener in HBO history.

let's see if the numbers hold up once the "novelty" maybe wears off.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Still going, still dull. Some major plot armour at the end of the latest episode. The show suffers from a major lack of charismatic performances.
'stone hammer

Post by 'stone hammer »

SPOILERS

I'm finding the King's Landing story far more interesting than the war with the crab people, the battle scene in particular pales in comparison to what we saw in GOT. We've seen dragons burning people, we've seen battles edited to **** because no real choreography is going on. If you're going to do a battle following GOT, it best be good. Still hate the casting of Matt Smith.

However, I continue to find Paddy Considine mesmerising. Far and away the best thing about the show for me. The frustration with constant politics and agonising over his decisions have been brilliant to watch, on top of Rhaenyra. I haven't got a teenage daughter but I'm sure fathers everywhere share his despair. I find Rhaenyra to be a good character; dislikable and unreasonable as most teenagers are, but well-written with a number of potential directions for her story to go.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Just watched episode 3, might be just me but I found it boring. I just don’t care about any if the characters.
iLoveLasagne

Post by iLoveLasagne »

wolf359 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:00 pm Just watched episode 3, might be just me but I found it boring. I just don’t care about any if the characters.
Nope, not just you. This doesn't even feel like GoT. Dull characters, time jumps and inconsistent pacing. Even the battle scene was lacking any realism. So they fought for years getting nowhere then suddenly Matt Smith decides to go for it and manages it within 15 minutes?

My friend is way more lenient normally but she admits its not very good. And even worse, she totally hates RoP also.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1223 likes
Total likes: 1641 likes

Post by last.caress »

Haven't looked at the show yet so can't comment on it specifically but...
iLoveLasagne wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:21 am This doesn't even feel like GoT... So they fought for years getting nowhere then suddenly Matt Smith decides to go for it and manages it within 15 minutes?
...To be honest, ↑↑↑↑that sounds exactly like GoT to me, iLL. Certainly across the last couple of seasons which somehow managed to be both bloated and rushed simultaneously.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

I’ve only watched the first episode and it’s fair to say I was a tad underwhelmed. I will watch the rest of the episodes and will give it a chance to draw me in but the big difference with Game of Thrones is that had me from the opening scene of episode one.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I'm watching this just waiting for battles, because to be honest there is just about ONE story line.

GoT had so many storylines going at once. sometimes, I did kind of get confused but there was SO much going on.

here it's the king and his daughter and her threat to be usurped. that's about it 3 episodes in.

in GoT the battles were a bonus, brilliant in most cases, but a bonus. the intrigue going on hooked you almost immediately. and let's be honest, like him or not, Sean Bean was excellent at Ned Stark.

then there was Jamie and Cersei, the Imp, Varys, Little Finger, Jofrie et al (I might be out a bit in a time line) but I'm pretty sure they were all in about the first 5 episodes, plus Sansa and Arya, then Theon and Jon Snow and Rob, Bran I wasn't so keen on even in the early days. even Robert Baratheon was excellent.

then of course we had The Hound and his brother

again not sure about the time line, but I'm fairly sure that 3-5 episodes in we had at least the main characters tied in.

this lot ? nah. no one "grabs my fancy" as they say.