House of the Dragon

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

'stone hammer
Has liked: 784 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Re: House of the Dragon

Post by 'stone hammer »

The Mrs stuck series 1 of GOT on last night, we watched the first two episodes and the difference really is staggering (I'd forgotten how good even the first episode is). The casting is spot on, characters are distinctive and memorable, dialogue is snappy and engaging.

HOD's only saving grace really is Paddy Considine, yet it hasn't been that bad, just forgettable. 6/7 out of 10 watchable TV so far but it needs to pull its finger out soon.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 205 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Watchable but not unmissable. And in not finding any distinctive characters, I'm finding that even the names are a bit confusing and samey.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1993 likes
Total likes: 1669 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

'stone hammer wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:16 pm The Mrs stuck series 1 of GOT on last night, we watched the first two episodes and the difference really is staggering (I'd forgotten how good even the first episode is). The casting is spot on, characters are distinctive and memorable, dialogue is snappy and engaging.

HOD's only saving grace really is Paddy Considine, yet it hasn't been that bad, just forgettable. 6/7 out of 10 watchable TV so far but it needs to pull its finger out soon.
interesting as it kind of confirms my initial memory that in the first few episodes (not sure exactly HOW many) the main figures were already getting their "licks" in early doors.

we didn't know back then, that most of the story lines would see them get stronger and stronger. even then the Imp wasn't the most likeable of characters and I hadn't a clue how strong of a player he would become. (well I read the books but you couldn't rely on them being accurately transformed),

this one. 3 episodes in Matt Smith I'm sorry has one expression for everything. no one actually has anything going for them.

and in GoT we had to come Prince Oberon, Ellaria Sand and her lot.....Diana Rigg absolutely smashing it in her role as Olenna Tyrell et al..

this lot has an AWFUL lot to live up to.........
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/house-d ... 21328.html

‘House of the Dragon’ Episode 3 Falls by 1 Million Cable Viewers, Marking First Linear Ratings Drop

Traditional TV viewership of “House of the Dragon” has dropped for the first time.

Episode 3, titled “Second of His Name,” was watched by 2.5 million people across its four cable airings on HBO on Sunday, per Nielsen — one million fewer viewers than Episode 2.

I don't understand these numbers or the term "linear" ratings because previously they had it down at 10M for E01 and 10.2 for E02

I'm puzzled. but it does show I guess that maybe people are falling out of interest or the first two episodes were those who did a, like me, curiosity viewing.

to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure I'm going to stick with it.

I have loads of series to watch and at the moment wasting an hour to go nowhere fast is maybe something I'm not going to do much longer. I think one more episode to see if it's on an upward trend might be it for me...
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Well episode 4 was better but five is the first time I’ve felt like it was GoT. Still don’t care about the characters, they are all more Sansa then the hound, it’s all a bit wooden but for the last two episode, decent wooden.
'stone hammer

Post by 'stone hammer »

Really struggled with episode 5. I don't really care about any of the characters; we're all waiting for the inevitable death of the King and hoping it comes sooner rather than later before we're all bored to death.

I didn't really understand Ser Criston's motivations for beating that other dude.

Daemon's motivations seem to vary from episode to episode and seem to be quite underdeveloped.

I also think it's criminal that they've used the opening theme from GoT.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5678 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

I’ve finally caught up and the last couple of episodes have definitely been better. The problem is that the source material never fleshes out these characters enough (because it doesn’t really need to given the format of the book) and that is coming across on the screen. The characters don’t have the depth of GoT because the stories behind them don’t.
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

MB wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:26 pm I’ve finally caught up and the last couple of episodes have definitely been better. The problem is that the source material never fleshes out these characters enough (because it doesn’t really need to given the format of the book) and that is coming across on the screen. The characters don’t have the depth of GoT because the stories behind them don’t.
As I said they are more early Sansa (just there) than the Hound - fantastic character. Bland is the word I'd use to describe it all.
MB

Post by MB »

wolf359 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:03 pm As I said they are more early Sansa (just there) than the Hound - fantastic character. Bland is the word I'd use to describe it all.
Haha, that is a good description!

I’ll stick it with as even so so GoT is better than most TV and there should be some more fun stuff coming up once they time jump next week.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

two of the "most anticipated" new shows on telly, and neither can even generate much interest at all.

one more show of The Rings of Power and I'm more than likely off.

have to catch up on this one and I might be off this one too.

vanilla is the word for most of the characters in both I'm afraid.
Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes

Post by Jonah »

Caught up with the last 3 episodes, and it hasn’t really moved on much, has it?

"I were right about that incest though" ;)
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

well I just finished e 5 and I'm still struggling, maybe more than ever, to continue watching..

about as much as happened in these episodes as has happened in The Rings of Power.

which is to say, the root sum of bugger all..........

anyone with a good memory remember what happened by e 5 in GoT because it seems to me that a bloody sight more happened in two episodes of that than 5 of this....

this one might also be consigned to the bin....

:asleep:
'stone hammer

Post by 'stone hammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:10 am anyone with a good memory remember what happened by e 5 in GoT because it seems to me that a bloody sight more happened in two episodes of that than 5 of this....
By comparison, not much more. A few major events such as Bran being pushed out of the window, a Lannister soldier spearing Ned Stark's leg, Catelyn Stark's capturing Tyrion after wrongly accusing him of the Bran assassination. The difference for me is the quieter scenes; subtle exchanges between Littlefinger and Varys, Ned Stark and Robert Baratheon, Tyrion and Jon Snow.
The main difference is the character quality and script. By episode 5 of GoT more than double the number of characters in HotD had been established and established well. Exposition and backstory told in a far more interesting way.

Saying that, I've tried not to compare too much. It's comparing an ensemble cast with multiple storylines with one family and one story. It's why I thought they should've given HotD it's own opening credits rather than rehashing GoT's. Let HotD be it's own thing.

I'm still watching in the vain hope that once Aerys dies (I can only assume that's coming, don't know for sure) it will pick up.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

unfortunately 'stone, I think, because it is a related story one way or another, it will be compared to GoT.

I also agree and I mentioned it earlier, the depth of characters and the sheer number of them in GoT were brilliant. also said before that we had the small council with the characters on that. haven't yet seen anyone a touch on Varys or even Little Finger, let alone The Imp. they were all so compelling.

Sean Bean, love him or hate him was also a great Ned Stark.

if Caetlyn had captured Tyrion by then we must have had the assignation attempt which in itself iirc was pretty bloody good in itself..

the is still a bloody drag.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 873 likes
Total likes: 849 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Made some time to catch up a bit this week and have now watched first 4 episodes.
It’s definitely improving for sure and I’ll stick with it. The bar was set very high by Game of Thrones and it is some way off that level but it is definitely getting better.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 205 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

More time jumps! But I far prefer to watch these characters now, a decade on, played by different actors. A new depth comes across them now which was previously missing. But some will feel it is jarring as establishing rapport can be challenging. The ageing of the characters is somewhat inconsistent too. The show seems to have more of a fantasy feel. Maybe it is the aesthetics in how it is shot? I am actually enjoying it now whereas before I was waiting for that moment to come.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Caught up with this last night, turned a corner for me and is slowly dragging me in, which I am pleased about.
MB

Post by MB »

Opposite for me! The last episode just made me realise that I don’t care about any of the characters; they are so two dimensional compared to GoT.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Maybe I'm all about the incest...
'stone hammer

Post by 'stone hammer »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:04 am Caught up with this last night, turned a corner for me and is slowly dragging me in, which I am pleased about.
Likewise! After what's felt like a clumsy introduction to the series most of the characters were at least fleshed out enough to set up some interesting stories. Also I thought Alicent had been Olivia Cooke the whole time! Only this episode I thought 'that looks much more like Olivia Cooke' :crossed:
Speaking of which I found her character transition quite jarring, going from a meek, lifelessly getting railed by the King character to Cersei on steroids was a bit of an adjustment but not an unwelcome one. Also catching her son cracking one off was straight out of the GoT handbook.

If it carries on like this, I'll be glad I stuck with it.

I will repeat that I still don't understand Matt Smith's character motivations and think it's the glaring failure of the series so far. He's been the lone ranger and incestuous, corrupting uncle who can't get it up, to now being the loving father in exile. His character doesn't say much either so it's hard to feel anything but apathy towards him.