House of the Dragon

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

House of the Dragon

Post by Jonah »

I couldn't see the GoT thread - deleted to the ether no doubt.

I see HotD is released overnight on Sky/HBO/NowTV at 2am. From the trailer I'm not sure what to expect, let's hope it's more the GoT S1-4 than the mess that become S8.

wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Re: House of the Dragon

Post by wolf359 »

Epi 1 was leaked this morning if you can’t wait (4 more hours).
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

It’s pretty dire so far - like a bizarrely violent Downton Abbey.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

My enthusiasm for the world of GOT is practically zero after the dross of season 8 where characters had years of character development discarded (Jamei) or just pushed into the sidelines.

Also GRRM has no intention of ever finishing the books so we'll probably never know how he'd finish off the story.

I'm going to wait until about half way to see if it's worth the effort.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

you ain't far wrong about him not finishing the GoT books.

there's a series on tv, Dark Wind, based on the Tony Hillermann books based on the Navajo Reservation Police. very old book series but excellent.

anyway, guess who the executive editors of this series are ?

Robert Redford and GRRM.

WTF ?

does he have some background in the Navajo nation or any relationship to the Hillermann family ? maybe he does both and I've missed it. Redford I can see due to his other interests in Sundance etc. etc.

now he's doing this executive editorship on HoD and all the while moving along with a Jon Snow spin off.

we ain't seeing the written conclusion to GoT in my lifetime I reckon. he's making his money all the while and to an extent I can't blame him, but he doesn't care if the series never finishes in the written word. they won't make a tv series about it now after the abysmal ending to GoT so why bother. he's got the tv rights for HoD and the Jon Snow tv thing going so no skin off his nose really if he doesn't complete the books.

how long is it now they've been promised ?

:swear:
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

If early GoT gets a 9.5/10, and late GoT gets a 6.0, then HotD eps1 gets 7.0.

I don't know the books so not married to any ideas of authenticity etc. The main thing which bugged me was the casting. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it felt bland maybe? It feels like it has been cast by the BBC for one of their 18-25 shows. Also, the conscious woke casting decisions jar me as always, much like the the Witcher, the Wheel of Time, His Dark Materials and probably The Rings of Power too. I'm not saying these decisions cannot work. I feel that the Star Wars realm does it quite well. But maybe the Staw Wars world is based on different conventions so it is easier to incorporate.

I think I liked GoT initially but it took me half the season before I loved it as they established the different realms. I will be patient with HotD and try not to draw constant comparisons with GoT.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:43 am
I think I liked GoT initially
It was the incest that really drew me in.
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:43 am I will be patient with HotD and try not to draw constant comparisons with GoT.
Watched it finally last night and agree with this. Although........

Hint of incest, gratuitous violence, backstabbing, writhing sex scenes, blood and guts and a lot of 'what's he/she been in before?'

...it's hard not to.

I'm in. :lol:
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

On that basis Jonah, I'm in as well :newthumb:
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Jonah wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:52 pm Hint of incest

Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Continues to be slow and dull. The king is a complete buffoon. It’s a watered down version of real history. It is just so amazingly slow and exposition filled it beggars belief.

Going from Better Call Saul to this is like going from a Jaguar to a Lada. Game of Thrones had, for the first four seasons, a compelling story and characters. This has none of that. The cast is far from attractive as well.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Watched the first two episodes tonight. So far, so good with Paddy Considine being a real standout.

I will say it feels like going over old ground given that similar storylines were covered in GOT, but if they're told as well as the first few series then I'm in.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

'stone hammer wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:32 pm Watched the first two episodes tonight. So far, so good with Paddy Considine being a real standout.

I will say it feels like going over old ground given that similar storylines were covered in GOT, but if they're told as well as the first few series then I'm in.
GOT had multiple storylines, adventure and memorable characters though. This just has one main narrative thrust about spoilt rich ****s. It seems badly cast.
'stone hammer

Post by 'stone hammer »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:28 am GOT had multiple storylines, adventure and memorable characters though. This just has one main narrative thrust about spoilt rich ****s. It seems badly cast.
We're only two episodes in! Give it a chance to develop some storylines eh?

Must admit I'm not overly keen on Matt Smith's casting though, but maybe it's just his face.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

'stone hammer wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:55 am We're only two episodes in! Give it a chance to develop some storylines eh?

Must admit I'm not overly keen on Matt Smith's casting though, but maybe it's just his face.
It’s not so much about giving it a chance to. It’s following a book that is about the Targ family and their civil wars. There is a single simple narrative thrust to the whole thing.

GOT had loads of good looking actors too. Emilia Clarke, Lena Headey, Sean Bean, etc.

The Targs are all meant to be good looking and they’ve got Paddy Considine, Matt Smith and that Aussie bird with the squashed face :lol:
Last edited by Ironing Board on Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

shouldn't we have had at least a couple of battles, someone having the head lopped off and some rampant sex by now though ?

it's a bit bloody slow !!!!!

:crylol:

I must admit it's hard watching the Small Council meeting, without expecting Little Finger or The Imp to come striding in through the door at any minute...

:cried:
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

I’m getting to the stage where I’d rather spend my time on classic old films or telly than these absurdly long shows with no payoff.

I get much more of a buzz watching John Wayne in The Searchers, Fred Astaire dancing with Ginger or catching an hour with Terry and Arthur in Minder.

There are exceptions, like the first four seasons of The Wires, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul and the first four seasons of Game of Thrones, but I’ve been burned too many times now by HBO and Showtime.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

2 episodes in, and it's ok ish for me so far.

Matt Smith as the hard arse brother, not sure yet.

A little slow, but building. Will keep going, but it does need to step up with the *shock* factor that GOT hit us with in bucket loads.
'stone hammer

Post by 'stone hammer »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:28 am A little slow, but building. Will keep going, but it does need to step up with the *shock* factor that GOT hit us with in bucket loads.
I think GOT first real 'shock' moment was episode 9 of the first series. Unless you count the great 'crown for a king' moment with Viserys which I think was episode 5.
Matt Smith as the hard arse brother, not sure yet.
Agreed, he looks like he's going to burst into tears and start harming small animals rather than some fearless warrior.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Was it episode 9! fair play then, I would have put money on it that is was earlier!

Ha ha on small animals, yep, he needs to step up the nastiness/scary factor, hopefully next episode. I'm thinking we have a battle coming with the crab people next episode.