West Ham Utd 1-1 Tottenham Hotspur (31/8/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United vs Tottenham Hotspur: match thread

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

billtho wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:52 am How come the refs don't get the arse with Kane in their ears from start to finish..surely they must get fed up with it...
Quite the opposite. Scientific studies have shown that, in high-pressure situations, having an endless ambient droning noise directed to your ears can actually have a calming effect.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

'stone hammer wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:31 am As others have said, I'm surprised at how limited Spurs' strategy is. There really is no plan B.

They essentially want you to press them high, and knock it long to counter. And will play walking football at the back until you do.
They've been like that for years and I don't understand how they end up doing so well.

My father in law is Spurs and I used to go alot to the old ground (mostly during the Bale era). They had nothing other than catching teams on the break.

As for Kane. He just keeps producing good results each season but apart from a decent finish and good positioning, he doesn't really have much to him to warrant the record he has IMO.
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

steps wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:25 am “Your support is ****ing sh*t” How bad were the Spurs fans?
I sit right next to the away fans and the spurs fans, last night, were some of the worst I have seen. At nil nil the were very quite, hardly a peep until they scored. Then they made a bit of noise for a short while, but they soon quietened down again and were silence after we scored. I expect more from away fans, especially at a local derby. I think they only sang one rendition of their Southampton song all game.
On the other hand our fans were in good voice. The bowl can be deathly quiet at times, but for a big night game we can still find our voices. The atmosphere was brilliant over there last night.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Conte said we just play long balls.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/16407 ... -Tottenham

Spurs played more long balls than we did last night.
Scratchy
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Scratchy »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:57 am Conte said we just play long balls.

As a % of their total passes though? They played more long balls in total but they also had more than double the amount of passes generally.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

zinger549
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by zinger549 »

Good performance last night. Had chances to win it, Fornals is playing really well and Kehrer looks good. Onwards and upwards.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

https://youtu.be/Z9uMO-PnPMs

4 minutes, 30 seconds in! :clap: Yes Moyesy!
roblo
Has liked: 152 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by roblo »

Was up the other end so no idea on the demographic of the away fans, but usually with these games it's the "older lot" that get their hands on tickets, many who don't really wanna sing songs created by the social media generation. Could explain the quietness. It sometimes happens with us away too depending on the fixture and which groups have it on their calendars.
e20too
Has liked: 665 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by e20too »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:57 am Conte said we just play long balls.

You expect anyone associated with Spurs to be generous, enlightened or even honest in their opinions, years living in Enfield has long taught me that is delusional behaviour…. Almost as delusional as Spurs fans brandishing the quality and expectations of their team and it’s history indeed. They are worse than us by far in escaping the 60s.
Last edited by e20too on Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

So on the left we like to play little triangles, whereas on the right we like to try and find Coufal in space who then likes to pass it back to Kehrer if Bowens not available.

Is that a fair summary of that diagram?
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by ChzMff »

Would have taken a point before the game but came out a tad disappointed we did not win it. The second half was much more like the West Ham of the last couple of years with decent performances all over. A couple of disappointments were probably Bowen who fell down a lot and was always on the periphery of the game and some of Benrahma's final balls but I tend to let him off because he does try to make things happen. I see this as being a bit of a transitional season for us, slowly bedding the new players in and trying to play at times with a different style. I think we need to have a bit of patience in seeing those building blocks continue to stack up.

I would not be overly surprised to see Conte go the same way as Mourinho. A very agricultural style of football which fans will turn a blind eye to when you're doing well but will quickly call out when you're not. He's then instilled an utter lack of gamesmanship. There was a lot of long diagonals looking for their pacy wide players. On that front, I did think both Perisic and Kulusevski were very good for them.
Estuary
Has liked: 276 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by Estuary »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:58 am So on the left we like to play little triangles, whereas on the right we like to try and find Coufal in space who then likes to pass it back to Kehrer if Bowens not available.

Is that a fair summary of that diagram?
No, we draw in Spurs players by keeping the ball moving on our left and exploit the space created with an overload from Coufal when the ball is shifted long from left to right. We did it all night and ended up moving the ball really well to the extent Spurs didn't know whether to **** or shave so stayed static which gave us space right across the park from which we created genuine scoring chances.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Conte has never done more than three years at a club. Usually two.

If he gets through this season, next season will be his last.
Cardiff here we come.....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Cardiff here we come..... »

Just going back to the 'head to arm' penalty incident.

Definitely wasn't a penalty & clearly was head to arm, so why didn't we complain & go mental & tell the ref to f**k off when he initially gave it?

We were in the right, but we seemed to accept the decision, & put up hardly any complaint. Cresswell was shocked, puzzled but should of been going crazy over the decision. On the other other hand Sp*rs players surrounded the ref, constantly at him to give it but I didn't see the same push back from us. I don't want us to be like those c**ts from North London in any way, shape or form with their sh*thousey, time wasting, acting & cheating. But when we are right, 100% in the right we need to f**king not take any BS.

We're far too quiet as a side & we need a couple of b*stards in our side to make our voices heard on the pitch.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Estuary wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:03 pm No, we draw in Spurs players by keeping the ball moving on our left and exploit the space created with an overload from Coufal when the ball is shifted long from left to right. We did it all night and ended up moving the ball really well to the extent Spurs didn't know whether to **** or shave so stayed static which gave us space right across the park from which we created genuine scoring chances.
We try and do this every game though don't we? Conte must be a rubbish manager to have been caught out by it.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Cardiff here we come..... wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:06 pm Just going back to the 'head to arm' penalty incident.

Definitely wasn't a penalty & clearly was head to arm, so why didn't we complain & go mental & tell the ref to f**k off when he initially gave it?

We were in the right, but we seemed to accept the decision, & put up hardly any complaint. Cresswell was shocked, puzzled but should of been going crazy over the decision. On the other other hand Sp*rs players surrounded the ref, constantly at him to give it but I didn't see the same push back from us. I don't want us to be like those c**ts from North London in any way, shape or form with their sh*thousey, time wasting, acting & cheating. But when we are right, 100% in the right we need to f**king not take any BS.

We're far too quiet as a side & we need a couple of b*stards in our side to make our voices heard on the pitch.
Could be as simple as being 100% confident it would be overturned or (like me :oops: ) being completely ignorant of the fact that the deflection off his face meant it wouldn't be handball regardless of how far his arm away from his body. :oops:
woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

Cardiff here we come..... wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:06 pm Just going back to the 'head to arm' penalty incident.

We were in the right, but we seemed to accept the decision, & put up hardly any complaint. Cresswell was shocked, puzzled but should of been going crazy over the decision. On the other other hand Sp*rs players surrounded the ref, constantly at him to give it but I didn't see the same push back from us.
that business is all part of them trying to do a Man Utd under Fergie. All they are trying to do is up their level of importance. However, it would probably help if they'd actually won something. Otherwise all it does is up their level of self-importance. Carry on Spurs, do your do. Just when you think they've pushed the absolute limit of being c***s, they find an extra gear
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1315 likes
Total likes: 765 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:54 am an endless ambient droning noise directed to your ears
:tune:
e20too
Has liked: 665 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by e20too »

woodford wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:17 pm that business is all part of them trying to do a Man Utd under Fergie. All they are trying to do is up their level of importance. However, it would probably help if they'd actually won something. Otherwise all it does is up their level of self-importance. Carry on Spurs, do your do. Just when you think they've pushed the absolute limit of being c***s, they find an extra gear
Behaviour reflects the Manager to a great degree.