✍️ Welcome Lucas Paquetá - Our Brazilian Magnifico

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Re: Lucas Paquetá - Our Brazilian Magnifico

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Gary Breen.

That is all I have to add.
I am Legend
Has liked: 1589 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Post by I am Legend »

Blokes going to be class. It will help when we get better players and movement around him.

And as someone mentioned about Bruno at Newcastle, it did take a while but when he settled, just turned it up many gears and showing how good he is now.
stammer
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 127 likes

Post by stammer »

smuts wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:34 am I think he's a very good player. However I just don't think he's the right fit for us and I have a weird feeling that he's not going to settle.

Hopefully I'm wrong. Probably scarred by the other big money buys we've made who've last about 18 months.
Am i imagining or overstating but wasnt Arnautovic utter gash for a while post big buck transfer, i recall being underwhelmed and disappointed but who knows how long that was for.
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

I think Paqueta is a very good player who has the skill and physical strenth to be very good for us
However he's finding it hard to get used to the Premier League and wasn't helped by picking up that strange should injury, which set him back just as he was getting going.

I also feel that he's not helped by having Moyes as his manager who is recently developing a bit of a track record for not integrating our expensive international signings into his team or his style of play - Felipe Anderson, Haller, Vlasic spring to mind

I'm just hoping he has a great world cup and comes back to have a brilliant second half of the season
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by smuts »

stammer wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:25 pm Am i imagining or overstating but wasnt Arnautovic utter gash for a while post big buck transfer, i recall being underwhelmed and disappointed but who knows how long that was for.
Yeah he wasn't great but had produced pretty consistently for Stoke so proved he could do it in the Prem. Suddenly he clicked into beast mode and went from there.

I remember him absolutely bullying Maguire at Leicester.
simon hammer
Has liked: 977 likes
Total likes: 743 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:48 am Gary Breen.

That is all I have to add.
You b*stard.

I thought I'd erased him from my memory.

Ruined my evening.

:grin:
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5671 likes
Total likes: 3086 likes

Post by MB »

stammer wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:25 pm Am i imagining or overstating but wasnt Arnautovic utter gash for a while post big buck transfer, i recall being underwhelmed and disappointed but who knows how long that was for.
Yeah some Scottish bloke came in as manager, told him he needed to work harder for the team or he’d get dropped then moved him from the wing to centre forward.

I wonder what happened to that manager… :chin:
Hermit_Road
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Hermit_Road »

I am Legend wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:30 pm Blokes going to be class. It will help when we get better players and movement around him.

And as someone mentioned about Bruno at Newcastle, it did take a while but when he settled, just turned it up many gears and showing how good he is now.
Sadly, and like others, I hope I'm wrong, but I feel he is just another (In a long list of luxury players) that West Ham cannot accomadate! Shame really!
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

MB wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:45 pm Yeah some Scottish bloke came in as manager, told him he needed to work harder for the team or he’d get dropped then moved him from the wing to centre forward.

I wonder what happened to that manager… :chin:
Was let go

Sometimes I wonder just what our team would look like with MP investment under Moyes and letting him build his side rather than picking the best of other managers signings

Majority of actual Moyes players are hits

Soucek
Bowen
Coufal
Dawson

Lots of exciting prospects

Said
Scamacca
Paquata
Aguard
Kehrer
Cornet

Just need time to gel
Hermit_Road
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Hermit_Road »

"Time" and "Gel" just don't go together in the Prem sadly. In fact, not since the Lyall era!
Last edited by Up the Junction on Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote removed.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2652 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Post by EvilC »

I’ve been watching the game and reckon we’ll be better off if we get Neymar, Vinicius etc. to play around him.
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 668 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

He's the replacement for Declan Rice. I'm calling it.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3177 likes
Total likes: 2316 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

EvilC wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:40 pm I’ve been watching the game and reckon we’ll be better off if we get Neymar, Vinicius etc. to play around him.
^^^This is the kind of innovative thinking we need!!
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 540 likes
Total likes: 460 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Guy is class, just needs actual movement in front of him...
I am Legend

Post by I am Legend »

Only movement we do is run down the wing and cross it.

I do hope Moyes is watching though and realises Fornals, Cornet, Lanzini, Benny, Emerson need to be running in to space in triangles around him. He's got such talent but we're just not using it due to our awful system and style.
hammer1975
Has liked: 978 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

watching brazil it seems to me that we need to change pretty much the rest of the team which we didn't already change last summer to be able to get out of Paqueta what Brazil do.

their full backs play completely different to ours.
we need both CB's to be ball playing.
the three attacking players all continually move, have pace, are a regular threat and can use both feet.
the centre mid alongside Paqueta (Casemiro obvs) is absolutely nothing like Soucek (and Rice is leaving soon)

Some posters think we had too much change in the last summer window....feels like we almost need to do the same again next summer if we genuinely want to set-up like Brazil (and goodness knows where that leaves Scamacca wanting to come deep rather than looking to stretch play)
Believer
Has liked: 1421 likes
Total likes: 759 likes

Post by Believer »

jabbaglob123 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:42 pm He's the replacement for Declan Rice. I'm calling it.
Yep my thoughts too 👍
I am Legend

Post by I am Legend »

jabbaglob123 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:42 pm He's the replacement for Declan Rice. I'm calling it.
But they are different types of players.

One is a possession, link up, playmaker. The other a DM/B2B
Believer
Has liked: 1421 likes
Total likes: 759 likes

Post by Believer »

I am Legend wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:02 pm But they are different types of players.

One is a possession, link up, playmaker. The other a DM/B2B
Rice is the base for our play at the minute. This will change to allow Paqueta to pull the strings. Downes will take Rice’s place I reckon.

I think we will spend big on full backs and another CH when Dec leaves.

A midfield 3 of Paqueta, Downes and Fornals will work so much better with decent fullbacks as they won’t need to worry as much defensively.

This is not a pop at Cresswell but you only need to see how much Rice covers him to see how this is disrupting any fluidity in midfield.

I don’t see us spending big on a midfielder as the big spend on a midfielder has already been done.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

^^^^I've been thinking for a while that a combination of Downes and Paqueta will replace Rice. Downes to do the defensive work and Paqueta to take the ball forward.