✍️ Welcome Lucas Paquetá - Our Brazilian Magnifico

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Re: Lucas Paquetá - Our Brazilian Magnifico

Post by Colours never run »

He's certainly enjoying himself playing in an attack minded Team allowed to express himself properly. Fantastic goal to boot.
Al Fisti
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Al Fisti »

Colours never run wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:36 pm He's certainly enjoying himself playing in an attack minded Team allowed to express himself properly. Fantastic goal to boot.
Can´t find the West Ham context?
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1364 likes
Total likes: 765 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

hammer1975 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:57 pm watching brazil it seems to me that we need to change pretty much the rest of the team which we didn't already change last summer to be able to get out of Paqueta what Brazil do.

their full backs play completely different to ours.
we need both CB's to be ball playing.
the three attacking players all continually move, have pace, are a regular threat and can use both feet.
the centre mid alongside Paqueta (Casemiro obvs) is absolutely nothing like Soucek (and Rice is leaving soon)

Some posters think we had too much change in the last summer window....feels like we almost need to do the same again next summer if we genuinely want to set-up like Brazil (and goodness knows where that leaves Scamacca wanting to come deep rather than looking to stretch play)

Yes, you just have to wonder what thinking went into the selection process last summer, some apparently very random buys, good players, but no symmetry whatsoever with how Moyes sets up a team. Watching Paqueta last night was very frustrating, knowing we have all that talent, and so far at least have completely misused it.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3039 likes
Total likes: 2684 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Another thread with predictable digs aimed towards DM. :eyes:
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Seems simple

Rice hold.
Paquata box to box
Fornals number 10

Benny and Bowen right and left

Scamacca up top

Job done
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5671 likes
Total likes: 3093 likes

Post by MB »

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:58 am Another thread with predictable digs aimed towards DM. :eyes:
Predictable doesn’t mean there isn’t an element of truth. You clearly cannot make a direct comparison between the Brazilian national team and West Ham, but when a new signing who has struggled for us looks a class above playing a different role in a team playing a very different style of football then I think it is fair to ask questions. Especially when he is keeping out a player who has been in great form in the premier league.

The manager either isn’t getting the best out of him yet or he was the wrong signing. Both of those go back to one person’s door. I hope it was the former, but watching what he does for Brazil I’m coming round to it being the latter.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9646 likes

Post by S-H »

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:58 am Another thread with predictable digs aimed towards DM. :eyes:
Stop being so precious.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

mumbles87 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:08 am Seems simple

Rice hold.
Paquata box to box
Fornals number 10

Benny and Bowen right and left

Scamacca up top

Job done
Exactly this, and it would work fine IF Rice stays holding and doesn't try to be Gerrard
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1188 likes
Total likes: 934 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

S-H wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:20 am Stop being so precious.
He's right though. When Paqueta had a poor game last week they weren't all rushing on here to praise Moyes.
McKnightmare
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by McKnightmare »

There is something a little unnerving about West Ham having a bonafide Brazilian international playing and scoring in an actual World Cup.

We’ve come a long way since the days of me getting excited by the signing of Dale Gordon I can tell you.
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1170 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

McKnightmare wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:49 am There is something a little unnerving about West Ham having a bonafide Brazilian international playing and scoring in an actual World Cup.

We’ve come a long way since the days of me getting excited by the signing of Dale Gordon I can tell you.
Spot on. Very easy to forget where we were even five years ago.

Football teams are not like house prices where value is almost guaranteed to grow over medium and long term. Just to help baseline our perspective, think of those bigger clubs who have slipped down the ladder in say …the last ten years? Imagine their fans thoughts as they recall the ‘good old days’ as they watch this World Cup.

A Brazilian goal scorer plays for West Ham !
Sport always has winners and losers, bit like life I suppose 🥸
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

would be nice if he returns to us a Brazils playmaker and not prime gokhan tore , as my nephew said to me yesterday
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

The difficulty in comparing pacman for brazil and us is the pace of international football. a lot of the time it is walking pace whereas the PL is full on.

I think our problems are with moyes and he appears to have run his course. pochettino is available and is the obvious one to get in.

we do need new fullbacks and a CB

rice paqueta fornals
benrahma scamacca cornet

what we are ding currently isnt working but will oyes change it up ? rice needs to hold like he does for england. moyes isnt respected enough to enforce this upon dec who wants to be all action.

paqueta looking good as is augerd. just need them back safely and up for the second half of the season. its not too late to be a good season !
mushy
Has liked: 651 likes
Total likes: 874 likes

Post by mushy »

MB wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:16 am

The manager either isn’t getting the best out of him yet or he was the wrong signing. Both of those go back to one person’s door. I hope it was the former, but watching what he does for Brazil I’m coming round to it being the latter.
You've decided it has to be one or the other.
It really doesn't.
It could be the player himself.
mushy
Has liked: 651 likes
Total likes: 874 likes

Post by mushy »

hammerman11 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:30 am The difficulty in comparing pacman for brazil and us is the pace of international football. a lot of the time it is walking pace whereas the PL is full on.

I've not seen one game played at walking pace.
Most matches actually seem faster then our Prem.
El brooko79
Has liked: 3024 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

mushy wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:42 am I've not seen one game played at walking pace.
Most matches actually seem faster then our Prem.
Our pace might be slow but the general pace of the premier league is faster so he has less time on the ball.

The end of the day for it's not just one thing that's cause our team and Paqueta to not click yet.

Paqueta needs time to a adjust.
Other new players not settled.
We are a bit negative and imo trying to protect the defence.
Too many players out of form and struggling with basics.

I think Moyes has to use Paqueta deeper. We need to use the ball and he can help. He will also have more space whilst he settles.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9646 likes

Post by S-H »

Metal Hammer wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:49 am He's right though. When Paqueta had a poor game last week they weren't all rushing on here to praise Moyes.
You can shut up 'n all
daytimedave
Has liked: 270 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by daytimedave »

thanks to Tim Vickery via radio5LIVE, i now pronounce him ' Paqueta' ......[ Pack-e-ta]
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5671 likes
Total likes: 3093 likes

Post by MB »

mushy wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:40 am You've decided it has to be one or the other.
It really doesn't.
It could be the player himself.
True and as others have pointed out he hasn’t been consistently good for Brazil in the World Cup. There is maybe a form issue as his passing was way off in one of the Brazil games like we’ve seen for us at times. The difference is they are still getting a tune out of him and I don’t think that is just the quality of their players.

To me he is a player who wants to play deeper and be more involved then make late runs into the box. We use him further forward and he just doesn’t look the same player in tighter spaces. He clearly has the skill to play that way to an extent but I don’t think we’ll get the best out of him in that role. He looks more natural in his role for Brazil which if he is struggling to settle in England then wouldn’t you give him what is familiar to help him settle down?

I am bias as I don’t like Moyes’ approach an awful lot, especially the hybrid 10 role which just doesn’t work (IMO). I just think we are trying to shape him to us rather than the other way around. To me with the budget we had that is the wrong way to do things.
El brooko79
Has liked: 3024 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

MB wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:03 am
I am bias as I don’t like Moyes’ approach an awful lot, especially the hybrid 10 role which just doesn’t work (IMO). I just think we are trying to shape him to us rather than the other way around. To me with the budget we had that is the wrong way to do things.
Obviously we are never gonna match the freedom of expression Brazilian players get for their national team.
But coming back to play for us in a cold January is gonna be a culture shock.

The one thing about shoehorning into a position is possibly Moyes sees the place on the pitch were Paqueta can have the most freedom to express himself is in a no 10 role. Less structural responsibility.

But for more it looks like Paqueta is trusted a bit deeper for his physicality and tenacity for Brazil.

I think we should do the same.