NCAA Football

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 198 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Re: NCAA Football

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

So, they're not quite in college yet, but a great story from a place that has been through hell

WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

I'm slipping. Took me a second to recognize the name. Good on'em. They deserve some proper positive excitement.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

bitter-iron-ny wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:04 pm So, they're not quite in college yet, but a great story from a place that has been through hell
not sure if this was their 2nd game...

because..

there was a feature done on the local news and the coach was pointing to the scoreboard and they won 21 something..

or not..

anyway in that feature, the team had to vote on who would wear number 21 this season.

they voted this kid in and you could see the emotion on everyone's face especially this kid and his family.

posted today because today is the first day back for Uvalde schools.

Houston ISD wearing Maroon today and watching one of the local news channels in 'ouston, the staff are wearing maroon, the guys maroon ties etc.

awful, awful tragedy......no one will ever get over stuff like this. kids are very resilient we know, but even so, there's a lot going to be having nightmares for the rest of their poor lives..
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Saturday 10th.

times are ECT (not CDT as I initially figured)

#1 Alabama @ Texas 11:00 AM on paper it should be a blowout and I don't expect differently

#24 Tennessee @ #17 Pittsburgh 2:30 PM this might be a pretty decent game

#25 Houston @ Texas Tech 3:00 PM in state rivalry, UH barely won last week expect this to be a cracker

don't see much other in the way of ranked teams playing but maybe some of the other lads might have some input and with not much in the way of PL games available, might be a good day to take in some college football for those who are usually otherwise occupied.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:38 pm Saturday 10th.

times are ECT (not CDT as I initially figured)

#1 Alabama @ Texas 11:00 AM on paper it should be a blowout and I don't expect differently

#24 Tennessee @ #17 Pittsburgh 2:30 PM this might be a pretty decent game

#25 Houston @ Texas Tech 3:00 PM in state rivalry, UH barely won last week expect this to be a cracker

don't see much other in the way of ranked teams playing but maybe some of the other lads might have some input and with not much in the way of PL games available, might be a good day to take in some college football for those who are usually otherwise occupied.
Yeah, not much to look at with matchup wise re: ranked teams. There are some decent bigger name programs that are playing where one school is considered off the boil in pre season rankings. Eg South Carolina @ Arkansas. I suppose USC @ Stanford could be moderately interesting, just because it's a PAC 12 game, but probably won't be. Looking through the schedules tho, there are games that would be fun to see based on rivalries and past history. UC Buffs v Air Force would be fun to attend in person. Same with Wake at Vanderbilt. You'd have to be very determined to stay home and watch college football to see those games on the toob though. Especially during a heat wave. College football doesn't feel like college football to me until the leaves have turned and the air is crisp and cool. Anyhow, here's a comprehensive schedule.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/schedule
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

the times that I am pretty sure, with a few "asks" I could have gotten a college game ticket for UT, or TAMU but of course when I was coaching it always conflicted, now I wish I really could have gone.

even at Thanksgiving there was always a College Showcase that I had to go to, but that Thursday night game between the two, would have been absolutely awesome.

although I am not sure I could have stood up for the entire game, which is obligatory at that game.

now UT have joined the SEC would hope to see that incorporated again, it certainly is must see tv.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Atmosphere will be amazing for the longhorns game. Don't think I could do it though. Not with mid 90's temps with no shade. Brutal.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Just having a look at college game day on espnu while having my morning coffee. Apparently the Kentucky v Florida game is a matchup of future NFL qb stars, and apparently the Giants have a hatful of scouts check them out. So, maybe this is the Giants Bowl?

Have to root for U of T in this one, if for no other reason than that they have a player whose first name is Kool-Aid.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

10-10 at the half. Terrible call from Texas offensive coordinator with 9 secs left in the half, on the 2 yard line, 2 time outs and a Heismann contending rb in their backfield, imo. They roll their backup QB out wide right, eat up the clock and fail to score. They lose the chance to score 6 and end up missing a very short FG. Expect Nick Saban to make the adjustments at the half and take advantage of that Texas blink.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Texas haven’t gone away and if anything have started to dominate both lines of scrimmage. Early season gut check dogfight here.

120* F on the field. Screw that.

Q4. Man, Bama are rattled. Penalty after penalty and they’ve been outplayed in the 3rd qtr. Gimpy 2nd string qb has done a great job. Tbh, Texas might have been out of reach if the refs had done a decent job. At least 2 pass interferences not called, several face masks not called and a legit safety miscalled and overturned.

20-19. That's a hard loss on Texas. It's a 4 qtr game though and you know Alabama play all 4 qtrs. If you're going to get into the red zone 6 times and only score 16 on UA, you're probably not going to beat them.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

very good game going on in Lubbock.

Texas Tech up 17-10 currently over U of H coming to the 4th quarter. some really good players on show too.....

wow, HUGE upset..

Appalachian State 17-14 @ #6 Texas A & M

and another Marshall over #8 Notre Dame 26-21 in Indiana

:shocker:

now 17-17 in Lubbock.... couple of ints one a pick 6 for U of H

Tennessee currently 27-20 over Pitt

didn't think the UT/Alabama game would be so close.

will go over to the Kentucky Florida as soon as this one is over.

weird day having College Football but no PL or that to watch earlier.........

wow, intentional grounding give TT a 3 and 21 from around the UH 30. receiver gets open catches the ball almost as it hits his knees. then they miss the fg attempt.

this game has pretty much everything you'd want. plus some very nice looking cheerleaders in very short skirts.

but seriously I wonder how they have managed to keep this going what with all of the feminine movements. I know that their are men cheerleaders, but they aren't wearing very revealing clothing.

oh well....

TT qb throws an int UH get a field goal with about 20 seconds left on the clock TT go down and kick a fg and now we're in overtime.......

Tennessee and Pitt also in ot...now a final 34-27 to The Vols....

wow, just wow.

U of H scores in ot on a td TT convert a 4th and 20 to keep the drive going and then score a td. UH score a fg and then TT get a td in 2nd ot.

not sure I can stay awake to see this game out in the Swamp..7-3 UK so far.

we'll see if the qb hype stands up....
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

simon hammer wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:47 pm One of my mates is a huge Nebraska Corn Huskers (cornhuskers?) fan. It's all "go big red" followed by the crushing disappointment of a loss.
Oh, your friend is hating life right now....

Favored by over three TD's at home against relative minnows Georgia Southern and they lost.

Cornhuskers (one word) were not alone in getting embarrassed today however

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

managed to stay awake through the whole UK/Florida game

really good match up. not much to see in the future NFL qb stakes though. UK smashed Richardson most of the night iirc. threw 2 ints, 1 a pick six.

I don't know what they mean but he had a qb rating of 3.8 which doesn't seem to be very good. the other lad had a 40.4 which seems about average I guess.

watched the UFC later so I'm not sure how square my eyes are today.

I know they're red...

:crylol:
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Appalachian State have previous in the giant killing stakes. They beat a top 5 Michigan at Ann Arbor, probably less recently than I remember, but still. They may have another scalp or two on their record as well.

And even though it's been a long time now, it's still weird to me that Nebraska aren't any good at football anymore. They were always a powerhouse for my first 20 to 30 years of life. I remember when I moved from NY to SF in 92, I stopped in Lincoln on the drive cross country to eat dinner. I stopped at something like a TGIF's or the equivalent then. I remember being shocked by the size of people in the restaurant. These were the biggest people I had ever seen collectively. I don't mean obese hippo people, I mean huge framed, tall and thickly muscled human beings. I suppose that's what a lifetime of working on the farm, eating beef and corn and playing football would do for you. At any rate, I understood why the Cornhuskers had among the best programs every year.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

as Pete mentions

#6 Oklahoma @ Nebraska 11:00 AM

this used to be a HUGE game when Nebraska was a powerhouse

#12 BYU @ #25 Oregon 2:30 PM

this might not be a bad game at all, not that I know a lot about either team but could be a decent watch

#13 Miami @ #24 Texas A&M 8:00 PM

considering how close TAMU ran Alabama last week this might be a good night time watch. I'll take a look for sure

what a pillock it was UT not TAMU last week..

how embarrassing...
Last edited by Cuenca 'ammer on Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

There are a few others that might be fun to watch just based on program history and past status. Penn St v Auburn. Massive programs with deep history that rarely (if ever) meet. Same with Miami v Texas AM. Georgia v So Car is a big rivalry but won’t be close this year. Mich St v UW probably won’t be close either, but I have a soft spot for the huskies and both programs have had their moments over the years.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

TA&M 17, MIA 9

WASH 39, MSU 28

ORE 41, BYU 20

:shocker: :shocker:
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Was surprised by the UW v MSU game. It wasn't as close as the scoreline suggests. So, either Washington is much better than people thought or Michigan State was very overrated. Washington bullied them until garbage time.
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

WCpete wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:41 pm Was surprised by the UW v MSU game. It wasn't as close as the scoreline suggests. So, either Washington is much better than people thought or Michigan State was very overrated. Washington bullied them until garbage time.
Big win for the remnants of the Pac 10. The remaining schools really need to overachieve and win a bunch vs. the other Power 5 conferences if they want to maintain their standing going forward.