NCAA Football

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

NCAA Football

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

it's that time again (well it actually started kind of last weekend....) for those of us who love College Football

last weekend's headline would have been Nebraska vs. North Western.

In DUBLIN !!!!!!!!

seemingly sold out. caught the second half and it was a pretty decent week "0" game.

more notable I suppose for the fact that the electronics were completely out.

well all that meant was that staff couldn't ring up any purchases.

SO THEY GAVE EVERYTHING AWAY FOR FREE ..

you should have seen the bloody alcohol queues. I reckon people got more in free alcohol and food than they paid for their tickets so win/win/win

anyway week 1 Holiday weekend

Thursday, September 1

times are CDT

Penn State at Purdue 8:00pm although neither are ranked I think this could be a good game

Saturday, September 3

11 Oregon vs. 3 Georgia (in Atlanta, GA) 3:30pm

5 Notre Dame at 2 Ohio State 7:30pm
CRFC Hammer
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Re: NCAA Football

Post by CRFC Hammer »

Looking forward to the ND/Ohio game
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

WVU @ Pitt on Thursday could be entertaining just because it's an opening season "derby", so to speak. And even though Florida isn't ranked, that's a tough place to go for an opening day road game for Utah. I still find it odd that Utah is a good team these days. They've been pretty bang average or worse my entire life.
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 198 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

I'll be pedantic a bit here but will try hard not to be that way too much in general.

"Northwestern" is one word. The one original Big 10 team with actual academic requirements for their so-called student-athletes. Good to see them beat Nebraska, traditional bullies who whinge more most about how hard they have it. After decades of running up the score against lesser opponents, it's great to see them struggle to achieve mediocrity.

There is an Ohio University. It's a very different thing than Ohio State, where they refer to themselves as THE Ohio State University.

West (By God) Virginia vs. Pitt (please call us Pittsburgh) is indeed a derby, even has a name: "The Backyard Brawl". Been at each other since 1895. Takes about an hour to drive from downtown Pittsburgh to Morgantown, which by US standards is a distance most folks drive on a daily basis. There's genuine animosity here, as most Western Pennsylvanians look down on their less-sophisticated neighbors, and are conversant in at least a dozen West Virginia jokes. ("What do Miss West Virginia and the Unabomber have in common? Both got fingered by their brother") That type of thing... Even when the teams are of ordinary quality (often) it tends to be a very entertaining game with wild shifts in momentum.

Also on Thursday are a couple of games that have upset potential: two MAC teams (middling conference) are on the road against opponents from Power 5 conferences. Central Michigan travels to Stillwater to play #12 Oklahoma State and Ball State goes down to Knoxville to play Tennessee. OK State favored by 21.5 and Tennessee favored by 35. Don't expect an upset in either game but wouldn't be surprised to see either/both of the MAC teams cover. While there is less talent in these programs there is more continuity. Early in the season the latter matters a great deal and often the higher profile teams don't take these kind of opponents seriously. Tennessee, in particular, has a reputation for being choke artists.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

don't know very much at all about NCAA Football, bit like my knowledge of the MMA, limited pretty much to the "Big 6"

:crylol:

anyone putting anything that would steer me toward some local stuff like the above is absolutely brilliant. I do know some towns/states local rivalry but not to the depth that a load of you have so sticking anything in here that anyone, including me, might enjoy would be a big plus !!

cheers Pete, and biny

:newthumb:

I'll definitely give a look to the WV/Pitt game a look in..
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Many west coast games will be brutal this weekend. Much of the west will be hit by a heat wave w/ predicted temps in the high 90's to low 100's. Decidedly not football weather.

Interestingly, I just read that Pitt & WVU haven't played in 11 years. Good article from the WVU site.

https://wvusports.com/news/2022/8/24/bl ... -time.aspx
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Good game so far, btw. 10-10 WVU/Pitt at the half.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

saw up to past past h-t.

very competitive, loads of mistakes as one would expect early season.

judging by the final it got really exciting later on.
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:19 pm saw up to past past h-t.

very competitive, loads of mistakes as one would expect early season.

judging by the final it got really exciting later on.
Pitt had the superior QB play. Their guy, a transfer from USC, was the more composed even though WVU QB is the more experienced (twice transferred, also USC then UGA), with the latter victimized by a pick 6 when a receiver let the ball drift through his hands.

Pitt had already tied it up at that point, driving the length of the field when WVU punted on 4th and short from midfield when up a TD. Questionable coaching but not as bad as quality of reffing or broadcasting. The college commentators tend to be incredibly mindless (even by American standards) focusing on the "story behind the story" and relying on every cliché in book.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Brutal way to lose, even though they still had time. Pass into the bread basket for a 1st down right outside of field goal range and the receiver decided to play volleyball instead.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

tough "INT" to be honest, but that was some run back and some unbelievable blocking to get him into the end zone.

mind you at 38-31 a f.g. wasn't going to do them any good if I read you correctly on the time line.

the N.D. Ohio State game looks to be a cracker.

going to be a long day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 7.30 my time

Oregon @ Georgia on paper looks like a bit of a mismatch but I'll be giving it a look in at least.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

It was 31-31 and WVU were driving. Had the reception been made, they had 3:00 minutes to drive another 20 to 25 yards to legitimately put them in range. WVU were in the driver's seat. Unless they turned the ball over.
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

WCpete wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:27 pm It was 31-31 and WVU were driving. Had the reception been made, they had 3:00 minutes to drive another 20 to 25 yards to legitimately put them in range. WVU were in the driver's seat. Unless they turned the ball over.
Momentum change in college football is often extreme. That game had like six of them.

Meanwhile, there's this:

The College Football Playoff's board of managers voted Friday to expand its four-team format to include 12 teams, the CFP said.

The individual games will continue to be great but with the endless conference realignment and this fundamental change to the structure of the season, a lot is in the process of becoming unrecognizable.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Prediction for the 12 game play-off. Alabama wins.
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

WCpete wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:21 am Prediction for the 12 game play-off. Alabama wins.
The more important change is that from that group, if there were 6 bowl games, half the teams would be ending their season on a winning note. This way, 11 of the 12 end up losing their last game of the season.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

To Alabama 😉
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Good old-fashioned pitch invasion in Norfolk, as Virginia Tech manages to lose there AGAIN to the mighty minnows of Old Dominion, a storied football program that dates all the way back to 2009..

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

got a little bit of time until the Barca game comes on, so I go to FS1 South Dakota State @ Iowa.

score currently in the 4th 13.40 to go - SDS 3 - IS 5. IS about to score and the RB gets stripped but the turnover comes to naught.

:chin:

no real surprises elsewhere other than the "bigger" team hasn't put more points on the board with TAMU only up 17 - 0 against SHS and NC State only 21-14 up on East Carolina while Michigan sticking 44 on Colorado State.

the Oregon/Georgia on at 2.30 my time...
simon hammer
Has liked: 963 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

One of my mates is a huge Nebraska Corn Huskers (cornhuskers?) fan. It's all "go big red" followed by the crushing disappointment of a loss.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

almost h-t in Atlanta and this game is virtually over already.

21-3 Dawgs.....

couple of outstanding catches, and one really unbelievable INT. but the Georgia team..

they're mustard no doubt..

felt under the weather yesterday evening and only made it to h-t but it was a really good half. N.D. more than held their own but Ohio State showed why they will be in the mix come the tail end of the season and ran out winners.

on the "tiddlers" side U of Houston went into 3 overtimes and at #24 against really a "nothing" opponent actually had to come from behind to win this game. look for them to fall out of the rankings.

in other news Alabama were Alabama.

one surprise of the day was #7 Utah @ unranked Florida and losing 29-26

as there's no NFL this week yet, there is a game tonight. at one time 2 pretty big ranked teams, one not that long off a National title play

Florida State @ LSU 6:30 PM CDT. bit late for you lads, but I'll give it a go ....

Monday being Labor Day (American spelling !!) there's a game then too.

#4 Clemson @ Georgia Tech 7.00 pm which on paper should be done and dusted by h-t