The Strikes Thread

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Re: The Strikes Thread

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

hammers92 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:08 pm Each to their own. And your wife’s decision is hers to make alone, nobody else’s.

Even with a pay rise, the problems in education still exist. The bullying and harassment, over stretched resources, large class sizes and minimal support staff.

Address these systemic issues and I think a fair chunk of teachers would be happy with what they’re paid.

It’s the same with the NHS really. Politicians are happy to defer the issues, paper over the cracks and leave the mess to someone else to sort out.
I said a similar thing about the NHS strikes. The conditions are the main issue for most who are striking, not the pay. You improve the conditions significantly then you'll find you won't need to increase the pay as much to keep people content to do the job.

Or fail to improve the conditions (same with teaching), then you'll have to pay way over the odds to get and retain staff.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 948 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:21 pm I do mostly agree. I'm against any guarentee to match inflation as a pay rise though.

She started teaching (bog standard NQT, which they've renamed nowadays) about 9 or ten years ago. She worked her way up to currently being a deputy head for the last 5 years, so her pay had gone up with each promotion. Based on that alone, her experience would be entirely different to someone who had chosen/or couldn't progress from staying as a 'standard' teacher.

Tbh, I don't think she really understands what striking is all about and that it isn't just some rage against the machine b*llocks.

The school she works at is in a sh*t hole, woth the majority not having English as a first language which makes a lot of teaching difficult. Behavioural issues, violence, abuse and social welfare issues galore to deal with...and that's mostly the parents!
I make you right, sounds like she doesn't understand how striking works lol

She's done well to earn her way up but that will becoming meaningless say this year alone if she got 10% increase pay to take on more responsibility but now inflation has made it cost 10% more to do the same stuff

I mean I didn't go directly into my role, it's a very senior role and if it wasn't for the wage I doubt id do it as the responsibility is high. Its also one of the few positions where your word goes . If you say no it doesn't happen, you don't get pressure from above to force something to happen , I'd take the less money for an easier lifestyle in the cabins just signaling a set region (say east ham to elm park) I'd not take on whole line responsibility Including protecting people needing to go on track in traffic hours .. if I wasn't paid for the risk
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

mumbles87 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:35 pm I mean I didn't go directly into my role, it's a very senior role and if it wasn't for the wage I doubt id do it as the responsibility is high. Its also one of the few positions where your word goes .
Pushing buttons and pulling levers on a train set... who else is going to bother you in your shed and tell you what to do? FFS. :winker:
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:58 pm Pushing buttons and pulling levers on a train set... who else is going to bother you in your shed and tell you what to do? FFS. :winker:
You clearly haven't met my wife.

"Have you seen my wife make toast"
steps
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by steps »

We’ve had emails regarding our two. Daughter’s high school is definitely closed (we always thought it would) but still in limbo about Steps Jr’s primary. The letter we had regarding the boy’s said they were unable to make a decision at present because the teachers in the NEU are not obliged to tell the headmistress if they’re going on strike on not. What a complete clusterf*ck. So, while she is trying to make arrangements to keep the school open she doesn’t actually know how many staff will be striking. We won’t find out until Monday.

Utter sh*tshow.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

steps wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:38 pm We’ve had emails regarding our two. Daughter’s high school is definitely closed (we always thought it would) but still in limbo about Steps Jr’s primary. The letter we had regarding the boy’s said they were unable to make a decision at present because the teachers in the NEU are not obliged to tell the headmistress if they’re going on strike on not. What a complete clusterf*ck. So, while she is trying to make arrangements to keep the school open she doesn’t actually know how many staff will be striking. We won’t find out until Monday.

Utter sh*tshow.
How is that a show? She is being honest.

Would you rather she just closed?

A work place can't ask if your in an union. That's the point because then they could victimise you for it. Employees don't have to tell them and even if they are in the union they don't have to say if they will come in or not

Can decide on the day

A picket may form and people might not want to cross it

That's hardly a show. That's just how life works.
steps
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by steps »

Mumbles, not sure if you are some sort of hardline unionist?

But, the country is on its knees. A sh*tshow is not a bad description of the current sorry state of affairs.

Thanks for telling me the ins and outs of how a strike works though.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

steps wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:03 pm Mumbles, not sure if you are some sort of hardline unionist?

But, the country is on its knees. A sh*tshow is not a bad description of the current sorry state of affairs.

Thanks for telling me the ins and outs of how a strike works though.
Sorry yes the country is a show. I'll agree that

I thought you meant the heads actions no knowing to open or not
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Yeah but common courtesy says that teachers who intend to strike could tell the headteacher so that they and affected parents could make contingency plans.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Denbighammer wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:36 pm Yeah but common courtesy says that teachers who intend to strike could tell the headteacher so that they and affected parents could make contingency plans.
I don't think you quite get the point of industrial action, and how things work.

If you tell people and they make plans it weakens the action. The idea is to cause enough of an issue that it causes talks so it won't happen again.

Most teachers prob will tell if they are or aren't but it isn't a legal requirement and an employer can't ask.

Some schools will bully teachers which highlights the issues raised.
Friend or Foé
Has liked: 58 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Friend or Foé »

A pal of mine’s wife is an experienced teacher of a certain age (in her 50’s). She’s currently a deputy head at a primary school. During the very early days of covid she told us that when it was announced that schools were likely to close due to lockdown the staff room was split between the older teachers (40 and above) worried about the children's education needs and the younger teachers who were pretty much having a party with the news that they might not need to come to work. When teachers were needed for the children of critical workers it was the older teachers that stepped up to the plate. Yes the older teachers that were more clinically at risk from covid ! Cut to the present, and guess which section of her staff room are agitating for a strike. That’s right the fresh out of training and uni bods.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Denbighammer wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:36 pm Yeah but common courtesy says that teachers who intend to strike could tell the headteacher so that they and affected parents could make contingency plans.
My wife’s best mate is also a teacher and they’ve been told informally that if they strike they’ll be “blacklisted”. Which means **** references given if they want to move on.

A lot of threatening behaviour going on.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

hammers92 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:40 pm My wife’s best mate is also a teacher and they’ve been told informally that if they strike they’ll be “blacklisted”. Which means **** references given if they want to move on.

A lot of threatening behaviour going on.
This behaviour is the problem, no place for it in any work place

Disgusting. I hope it's reported
hammers92
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

mumbles87 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:06 pm This behaviour is the problem, no place for it in any work place

Disgusting. I hope it's reported
Report it to who? As much as I am a union man the NEU have bottled the last 3 years. Invisible when teachers really needed it.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

hammers92 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:10 pm Report it to who? As much as I am a union man the NEU have bottled the last 3 years. Invisible when teachers really needed it.
I would go to the head, with an union rep (or work place collegue) I would minute the meeting

I would say this behaviour is unacceptable, and that if anything is marked against my name and held against me I will be taking them to court. Also by writing it down you have proof of the convo, get them to sign it's a reflection of the notice given

And if they do give a poor reference you can fish out said letter

I'd follow it up with emails for electronic records

Don't stand for it
simon hammer
Has liked: 994 likes
Total likes: 748 likes

Post by simon hammer »

mumbles87 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:15 pm

"Have you seen my wife make toast"

Several times, mostly when you're out playing with your trains 😉
Friend or Foé
Has liked: 58 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Friend or Foé »

A couple of classic british comedies to watch :
I’m alright Jack
Carry on at your convenience

Gives you an amplified taste of how both employers and unions behave and ultimately what they end up looking like to people.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 646 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

But it's not down to individual teachers. Someone could have voted for the strike, have every intention of being out....but if the vote doesn't pass then they'll be there. The headteacher isn't stuck in limbo because of their staff, they're stuck in limbo because the union hasn't finished the balloting process yet.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:36 pm But it's not down to individual teachers. Someone could have voted for the strike, have every intention of being out....but if the vote doesn't pass then they'll be there. The headteacher isn't stuck in limbo because of their staff, they're stuck in limbo because the union hasn't finished the balloting process yet.
Its the effects of living in tory Britain

SammyLeeWasOffside
Total likes: 1092 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Who are the poor people in that analogy?