The Strikes Thread

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 309 likes
Total likes: 1082 likes

Re: The Strikes Thread

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

jastons wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:03 pm A union looks after the interest of its members.
It's not in the members interests to run the industry to the wall or push customers (sorry the public they gallantly serve) towards alternative transport. Damaging the business you work for is damaging yourself at some stage surely.

At some point if there is to be negotiation all sides need to lose a bit of face. I'm not sure there will be tbh, I think it might be quite convenient to have a pantomime villain strike going around the election build up.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 804 likes
Total likes: 3018 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:20 pm It's not in the members interests to run the industry to the wall or push customers (sorry the public they gallantly serve) towards alternative transport. Damaging the business you work for is damaging yourself at some stage surely.
Are the strikers doing that ?

Thew logic of those on strike is they are seeing their living standards being eroded, while their employer pleads poverty, saying they cannot afford to pay more.

Meanwhile shareholders are being paid millions in dividends.

The railways were sold off for ideological reasons not economic ones.
SammyLeeWasOffside

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:40 pm Are the strikers doing that ?

Thew logic of those on strike is they are seeing their living standards being eroded, while their employer pleads poverty, saying they cannot afford to pay more.

Meanwhile shareholders are being paid millions in dividends.

The railways were sold off for ideological reasons not economic ones.
Not deliberately but if you give people the chance to try alternatives they might not come back. We've used the bus to get to the smoke this year and will stick with it. Cheaper, cleaner, more reliable, better facilities.

Like it or not it's in the rail unions interest for there to be rail.

It may well have been ideology but it was also a **** service by the late 70s
jastons
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 851 likes

Post by jastons »

So union members should put up with poorer living standards in case more people take the bus?
SammyLeeWasOffside

jastons wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:48 pm So union members should put up with poorer living standards in case more people take the bus?
They can do what they like but it's a bigger picture. Miners don't get much work these days.
D C
Has liked: 1120 likes
Total likes: 1470 likes

Post by D C »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:22 pm Not deliberately but if you give people the chance to try alternatives they might not come back. We've used the bus to get to the smoke this year and will stick with it. Cheaper, cleaner, more reliable, better facilities.

Like it or not it's in the rail unions interest for there to be rail.

It may well have been ideology but it was also a **** service by the late 70s
Surely the obscene prices the train companies are charging would lead people to other forms of transport by now if it was that simple

Was it not a **** service by then due to them
systematically under serving it to the point where public opinion would allow them to sell it off without much backlash? A bit like them slowly running the NHS into the ground for the same goal
jastons

Post by jastons »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:00 pm They can do what they like but it's a bigger picture. Miners don't get much work these days.
They should have re-trained as wind turbine engineers
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2179 likes
Total likes: 1378 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:20 pm It's not in the members interests to run the industry to the wall or push customers (sorry the public they gallantly serve) towards alternative transport. Damaging the business you work for is damaging yourself at some stage surely.

At some point if there is to be negotiation all sides need to lose a bit of face.
Unlike the nurses, where if you need then you need them, people can and will make alternatives to the train. It's why I agree with the second point so much.
SammyLeeWasOffside

D C wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:38 pm Surely the obscene prices the train companies are charging would lead people to other forms of transport by now if it was that simple

Was it not a **** service by then due to them
systematically under serving it to the point where public opinion would allow them to sell it off without much backlash? A bit like them slowly running the NHS into the ground for the same goal
Maybe routine plays a part for lots of people. It's easier to pay up and keep doing what they have. If the service isn't actually available they are forced to find alternatives and find.they prefer that.

Unless they were planning on a sell off right through the 70s then no. The service was terrible for some time, long enough to become a national joke.

Running it down how? By pouring more money than at any time in history into it you mean?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 804 likes
Total likes: 3018 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:12 am Running it down how? By pouring more money than at any time in history into it you mean?
Yet, the "owners" still pay out billions in dividends.

The model doesn't work.
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 199 likes

Post by Prob »

Fair play to the government they have pushed Nurses to the point that they are expecting every single trust to vote for new action

The Tories have well and truly ****ed up

The Junior DR strike will now pull every single service to support the nurses and the court action has ****ed off the whole NHS
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2106 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

daytimedave
Has liked: 270 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by daytimedave »

my heart bleeds for those poor railway workers
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

daytimedave wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:57 pm my heart bleeds for those poor railway workers
You do have to question their thinking behind this. Surely, you'd get less kickback from the public if it was on a normal Monday or Friday, sure some people would lose a day’s money, but to complicate the FA cup final travel is a ludicrous policy in terms of hearts & minds, on par with gluing yourself to trains and roads during the working week.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Not every rail worker. The fella who sits next to me at the LS works for SWT and he said the strikes are really starting to bite him financially and he's really ****ed off about it. I asked whether the union can help in any way and he says to qualify he would have to provide bank statements, utility bills and even have an interview, for what would be perhaps 50 quid a week.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2179 likes
Total likes: 1378 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

The frustrating thing is something like 6% and no changes to conditions would probably clinch it despite food inflation being at least 15%. Which is still a real time pay cut.

What some don't get is it doesn't matter what your original wage is, if it gets chipped away every year we will all end up on minimum wage.

Strikers are not trying to get richer, just be less worse off.

Train companies and government do a deal. They will accept far less than their bargaining position.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

bonzosbeard wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:17 pm The frustrating thing is something like 6% and no changes to conditions would probably clinch it despite food inflation being at least 15%. Which is still a real time pay cut.
Well, that depends on whether the only thing you ever spend your money on is food, which must be close to no one.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

RichieRiv wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:12 pm Not every rail worker.
:thup:

My thoughts were really about the union leadership and those who timetabled the dates for strike action. Can't imagine anyone wanting to lose a days money due to having to strike.

Funny enough it always seems like shop stewards (in my limited opinion) and union leaders (always seem to have nice digs whenever pictured leaving home) end up being ok regardless of what happens.
SammyLeeWasOffside

the pink palermo wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:25 am Yet, the "owners" still pay out billions in dividends.

The model doesn't work.
The NHS?
jastons

Post by jastons »

daytimedave wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:57 pm my heart bleeds for those poor railway workers
Have you had a pay rise this year?