The Strikes Thread

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Re: The Strikes Thread

Post by mumbles87 »

Rmt spot on here with the reply when people moan at the railway workers
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 645 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Seems Transport for Wales and the RMT have come to a deal for workers in Wales. 4.5% guaranteed, up to 6.6% with productivity elements (assume that's based on the company rolling stuff out and the workers hitting targets). Voted through by members at almost 8 to 1.

Shapps has a very clear number now that's acceptable to both RMT negotiators and members. No reason for this to drag on any longer.

Unless they think it's useful politically I guess.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 449 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I can’t get to Hereford this weekend and now I can’t make Coventry in December on the understanding these strikes go ahead.

When will this end?!
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9646 likes

Post by S-H »

Hitchhike?
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 645 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:19 pm I can’t get to Hereford this weekend and now I can’t make Coventry in December on the understanding these strikes go ahead.

When will this end?!
When the government stop trying to exploit the situation for political gain.

Also, aren't you back in Manchester? Trains seem to be fine this weekend between there and Hereford.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:19 pm I can’t get to Hereford this weekend and now I can’t make Coventry in December on the understanding these strikes go ahead.

When will this end?!
Megabus with a few tinnies for the journey.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

When will this end?!
ask the gov. its really that simple.

last times strikes were cancelled due to talks being agreed

talks have now been cancelled by network rail .. what do you expect? the unions to go oh thats fine we will just sit here on our hands whilst you do what you want
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 313 likes
Total likes: 1087 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Probably being dim but what's the blindingly obvious common denominator? Inflation?
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:24 am Probably being dim but what's the blindingly obvious common denominator? Inflation?
You don't see inflation trying to cut pensions and job terms

Mick lynch explains the situation well on the news

Over the weekend just gone network rail contacted him and said 2pm Tuesday (think was Tuesday) meet in my office for x deal to be presented

1pm Tuesday he called lynch again to say I can't offer you that deal it's been blocked

The only people that can block it are the government

Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2233 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

Strikes this Saturday completely screwed up a long planned get together with mates and had to return tickets for the Eng v SA game at Twickenham.

Newly announced strikes will also probably nacker something else up as its on an 'in between' day

But 100% still support them striking
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Loftyhammer wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:42 am Strikes this Saturday completely screwed up a long planned get together with mates and had to return tickets for the Eng v SA game at Twickenham.

Newly announced strikes will also probably nacker something else up as its on an 'in between' day

But 100% still support them striking
Whilst we see this corrupt government waste public money on PPE contracts and such for friends whilst underfunding public services and screwing over workers strikes will still happen

I can't believe people support the Tory party still after 12 years of corruption
SammyLeeWasOffside

mumbles87 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:36 am You don't see inflation trying to cut pensions and job terms

Mick lynch explains the situation well on the news

Over the weekend just gone network rail contacted him and said 2pm Tuesday (think was Tuesday) meet in my office for x deal to be presented

1pm Tuesday he called lynch again to say I can't offer you that deal it's been blocked

The only people that can block it are the government

The govt don't do pay and conditions for postie's or uni staff do they?
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:59 am The govt don't do pay and conditions for postie's or uni staff do they?
The gov dont pay my wages but still trying to force through pension reform under bail outs caused by their covid policy.

Uni staff come under the department of education do they not?

Train companies aren't owned by government yet the gov can pull their pay deals

Royal mail is private however it's down to policy that's caused the issues.

Profits being paid out whilst trying to push through job cuts

Same with the trains, bailed out by gov. Still allowed to pay profit but conditions trying to be erroded

We are closer than ever to a general strike. May not all be caused by gov but it's not be solved by them . It's been made worse.
SammyLeeWasOffside

Uni staff are paid by unis. Postie's by their private owner.

If the RMT get their deal will they refuse it unless uni staff get theirs?

People are free to strike over things that are important to them. I hope people get what they want from this but it is having a huge cost on other low paid workers and struggling businesses. That's obviously no reason not to do it but it will impact down the line (pardon the pun). You need customers, making it harder for people to afford trips won't help with that in the years to come.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:14 am Uni staff are paid by unis. Postie's by their private owner.

If the RMT get their deal will they refuse it unless uni staff get theirs?

People are free to strike over things that are important to them. I hope people get what they want from this but it is having a huge cost on other low paid workers and struggling businesses. That's obviously no reason not to do it but it will impact down the line (pardon the pun). You need customers, making it harder for people to afford trips won't help with that in the years to come.
The strikes have ramped up to double down on the point that the gov is taking to Mick and to agree a deal.

There is enough profit in the railways to pay the deal out, I mean they can still pay profits out to shareholders to the millions .. taking money out of the country it's why other counties railways can be so cheap . We fund them.

Rmt may stand in solidarity with the nurses and uni staff but end of day a union only works for its members . Rmt are a strong union. Have overplayed their hand in the past but they are spot on here
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1855 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

We know what the offer from Network Rail to the unions is, do we know what offer the unions have made to help pay for it?
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:03 am We know what the offer from Network Rail to the unions is, do we know what offer the unions have made to help pay for it?
As stated it doesn't need help paying for.

Have you seen the level of profits taken out of the railways to shareholders ?

During covid they were bailed out yet still allowed to pay out shareholders

The contracts on network rail are mad

The gov pay them a set fee to run the railways

Here is your running costs .. and regardless you get 2 million for example

Any profit you keep aswell even if you make a loss you get your 2 million

Old but still spot on
SammyLeeWasOffside

mumbles87 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:40 am There is enough profit in the railways to pay the deal out, I mean they can still pay profits out to shareholders to the millions .. taking money out of the country it's why other counties railways can be so cheap . We fund them.
And ours are run on money made in places like the US.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

I see the UK press are all dutifully labelling Mich Lynch as the grinch.

Never let there be any doubt whose side they are all on.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1784 likes

Post by hammers92 »

sendô wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:38 pm I see the UK press are all dutifully labelling Mich Lynch as the grinch.

Never let there be any doubt whose side they are all on.
If our politicians had the same energy and desire to represent their constituents as Lynch does for his members, this country would be a better place for everyone.