The Strikes Thread

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1092 likes

Re: The Strikes Thread

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:48 pm A residential care home should be on a community nursing team's patch with visits the same way that someone living in their own home might get them.

A nursing home is required to have 24 hour private nursing presence on site.

That is the fundamental difference between the two.

The local care commissioners may, through reporting mechanisms, want to know how many times residents are referred to local hospitals etc. It's standard practice in some parts of the NHS to demand this reporting on an ongoing basis and may be part of a contract.

They should all have GPs as well, and if someone in a residential home is continually being referred to hospital, the question will start to surface about the suitability of the home they are in and whether they need to go into a nursing home (or somewhere else) as a place that's better able to support them and meet their particular care requirements.
I know the difference I am wondering about best use of resources. A dementia resident is in an odd mood, the staff call an ambulance because there is no one qualified to assess that person. GPs don't come out unless its their scheduled weekly/monthly visit, no chance they come because of a daily situation like above (mums GP surgery is about 100 yards from the care home). Every medical problem that isn't obvious (and then sometimes those) end up with an ambulance call if for no other reason than covering the staffs back.

I am not taking about on site but a district system of triage. 2 staff on call covering 10 homes, they go and assess, either solve the issue or they make the call to get an ambulance out.

The criteria for a place in a nursing home is ridiculous these days. Mere deterioration to needing more hospital visits won't get you into one, it will get you a DNR notice though.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Not sure If true but my mate just sent me this from the rmt WhatsApp group .. if so massively reading the room again

Hi all,

Just a heads up, the strikes on 3rd of Nov have been postponed til 9th of Nov on the TOCs.

*10th of Nov on London Underground.*

This was due to a request from the British Legion, as they had Co-ordinated national events on the day for poppy collection.

Cheers.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2500 likes
Total likes: 4404 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:15 pm I am not taking about on site but a district system of triage. 2 staff on call covering 10 homes, they go and assess, either solve the issue or they make the call to get an ambulance out.
You're describing a Single Point of Access, usually staffed by duty social workers and nursing professionals.
SammyLeeWasOffside

Typical we cancel trains and take a £400 hit on accommodation and tickets and they call the damn strikes off at the last minute. Who do I see at the RMT about our cost of living being hit.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:54 pm Typical we cancel trains and take a £400 hit on accommodation and tickets and they call the damn strikes off at the last minute. Who do I see at the RMT about our cost of living being hit.
Mate, I've got to go to the office next week now. We all have our crosses to bear.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Following what the rmt do next on Lu with great interest

As it stands the strike 10th October still stands for lu

Rmt are going to annoy there members either way. If they cancel they look weak because nothing has changed since they started saying take all change to pension off table or we strike so as that's not changed they will lose face.

However the pension review is in its next phase.

Narrowed down to 3 options

One of them still no change

Asleef still have their very very very strong mandate in place so if any change is announced they can walk out 2 weeks notice

Tssa still haven't balloted are waiting for change to be announced

Rmt have gone gunho and because they want to link it to network rail to get a total shut down they now are left with a strike that people (in the company I'm saying not outside we all know everyone's fed up) are getting fed up with because the changes are the fear that rmt drip fed their members. Yes some change could happen but tbh it prob will happen either way, just needs to be handled correctly.

I'd pay more into my pension to keep the same benefits I don't think that's unreasonable, but rmt insist no change what so ever

Will be interesting to see how well supported Thursday is from inside the company. It's been less and less each time
SammyLeeWasOffside

EvilC wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:56 pm Mate, I've got to go to the office next week now. We all have our crosses to bear.
Thing is I wasn't going. I've lost my quiet weekend and a bundle of cash 🤣🤣
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

daytimedave
Has liked: 271 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by daytimedave »

be interested to see what deal is on the table for our beloved railway staff after all this disruption .

lynch :
"Our priority is our members, and we are working towards securing a deal on job security, a decent pay rise and good working conditions."

no apology to the commuters who bare the brunt of the strike action
hammers92
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

daytimedave wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:54 am no apology to the commuters who bare the brunt of the strike action
They’ve apologised throughout for the disruption caused to commuters. But as Lynch has always rightly pointed out, his job is to protect and defend his member’s terms and conditions, that’s what he is paid to do.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... dApp_Other

Thought this would happen after yesterdays pulling of talks by network rail
daytimedave
Has liked: 271 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by daytimedave »

:swear: FFS :angryred:
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

daytimedave wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:42 pm :swear: FFS :angryred:
Hopefully this extreme option will force talks as they pulled them which was never going down well.

Id say a Lul strike will appear in those weeks to cause more disruption

Hope I'm wrong
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 293 likes
Total likes: 495 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

mumbles87 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:17 pm Hopefully this extreme option will force talks as they pulled them which was never going down well.

Id say a Lul strike will appear in those weeks to cause more disruption

Hope I'm wrong
Excellent news if they do strike. Will f*ck the public something rotten over Christmas. The c*nts deserve it for not supporting the hard working tube and railway men who only have your safety at heart.
brownout
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by brownout »

An escalation of strikes was inevitable once the Government (who are pulling the strings) pulled out of talks.
It was probably going to take a more protracted strike to force a resolution.

Hopefully it will be resolved before Leeds away (4th Jan) & 7th Jan (FA Cup) as both are now strike days.
Last edited by brownout on Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brownout
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by brownout »

sorry messed it up
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2500 likes
Total likes: 4404 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Not sure how widespread train usage is these days.

If memory serves it's a very London-centric service insofar as it involves a wildly disproportionate number of journeys.

So many people have got used to WFH , it's hard to see this hurting anyone much beyond those businesses relying on commuter traffic in places like London.

The Royal Mail strikes will just lead to people switching providers for parcels, while emails/social media will do the same thing as letters/cards.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:08 pm Excellent news if they do strike. Will f*ck the public something rotten over Christmas. The c*nts deserve it for not supporting the hard working tube and railway men who only have your safety at heart.
From what I've seen, public opinion overall seems to back the strikers - as it's those at the bottom, the station staff, and not those on massive salaries as drivers that are being stitched up here with crap pay rises and terms and conditions and pensions being ****ed about with.

You come across as a bitter old man with your regular diatribe against the railway workers fighting for a better life.

Take your petulance out on the paymasters, not those that are being fed chicken feed.

I was a striker up until a few weeks ago, and I will stand in solidarity with any industry that is being shat on from above. Even you and yours.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 646 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Well this is quite the front page from Moseley's fan club :thdn:

"Behold peasants! Cast thine sinful gaze upon your betters as chosen by God!"
"More? MORE?? You filth ridden scum ask for more than the gifts of sunlight and oxygen your lord has bestowed on you??"

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

I've had a good look at the finances of the eail industry this morning, and a few things struck me.

Firstly, the growth on demand over the decade up to Covid. It was far higher than I realised. with passenger kilometres travelled more than doubling on 20 years.

It's obvious - people want to use the railways.

The second thing that struck me was how many people passed through the stations, further confirmation of exactly how many use the railways on a daily basis.

What struck me most of all though was how low the income from fares was at around £12bn.

It's barely worth collecting the fares.