The Strikes Thread

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 119 likes

Re: The Strikes Thread

Post by ironsonthebrain »

-DL- wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:56 am Our strike action on 16th and 20th has been postponed.
For the best.
Why lose the public support that has been built up?
Park the strikes until this is over and it's back to politics as usual. After all, the issues aren't going to go away - under Truss, with her threats of further restrictive legislation against trade unions, it's probably going to get worse.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

ironsonthebrain wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:34 pm For the best.
Why lose the public support that has been built up?
Park the strikes until this is over and it's back to politics as usual. After all, the issues aren't going to go away - under Truss, with her threats of further restrictive legislation against trade unions, it's probably going to get worse.
I also think if they’re smart, putting on extra trains this week, and RMT agreeing, buys them some easy sympathy for October when they go again.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

hammers92 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:11 pm I also think if they’re smart, putting on extra trains this week, and RMT agreeing, buys them some easy sympathy for October when they go again.
Not much the rmt could do about extra services and such . So much built into our professional agreements

When nighttube came the reasons why it took such work was the tube is only suppose to run all night (agreed) I think it was 5 times a year .. maybe 3 I can't remember the number

New year's Eve

Then the death of a monarch ,

So if tomorrow they decided 24 hour service for Monday the unions couldn't say anything it's in the professional agreements
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

For any bus users in Kent, Medway, and the home counties, Arriva will resume their industrial action on 30th September also.
daytimedave
Has liked: 273 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by daytimedave »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62999136

more strike action planned for 8th October !
half of me is 'up the workers' and 'good on em for standing their ground' ,
whilst the other half of me is 'get back to your well paid jobs compared to a lot of other sectors out there'
i was hoping to come up to the fulham game on the 9th , but there may be a knock on effect that day .
i like mick lynch , but my patients is wearing thin
pretty pissed off with the disruption :thdn:
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

-DL- wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:44 pm For any bus users in Kent, Medway, and the home counties, Arriva will resume their industrial action on 30th September also.
UPDATE: Agreement has been reached between Arriva and drivers in The Home Counties, and all further strike action in that area is off. The proposed industrial action by Drivers from Gillingham, Maidstone, Northfleet (Gravesend) and Tunbridge Wells depots is still going ahead - so if anyone on here uses the services, the dates are as follows:

September:

Friday 30th (1 day)

October:

Thursday and Friday, October 6th and 7th.

Monday and Tuesday, October 10th and 11th.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Royal Mail to hold 19 days of strikes in October and November.
Royal Mail workers are to hold 19 days of strike action over terms and conditions during the peak postal build-up to Christmas.

The Communication Workers Union (CWU) said the strikes will cover Black Friday and Cyber Monday.

It said its "significant announcement" reflects the "level of anger" workers "feel at the way Royal Mail Group has treated them".

Royal Mail Group was approached for comment.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

Strikes Saturday and Wednesday on trains coming up. I'm due to work Saturday so will have to go in late and leave early whilst claiming a full day rate, sadly.

Meant to be doing a late next Weds though.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Saturday’s trip to the West Midlands is off. Non-refundable event ticket already purchased.

I hope they don’t get a penny increase.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:20 am
I hope they don’t get a penny increase.
Well there's a surprise. People on low wages (the majority of those striking are not drivers, but station staff, train conductors, platform staff, etc) having derisory pay offers and terms and conditions eroded being hoped that they don't get a penny increase because you've been put out. Divide and rule, and you've bought in to it, hook, line and sinker.

Take your ire out on the operating companies making these poor pay offers whilst paying their shareholders massive dividends, not the men and woman that earn these big wigs and shareholders massive salaries and only want a fair wage to support themselves and their families, whilst those at the top wouldn't know what a worry money was if it hit them in the face.

To turn it on its head, I hope you get put out more and more by these striking workers, simply because of your foul attitude towards them.

I'm out on strike on Friday, and of course, I'd much rather be driving my passengers from A to B, than have them have to make alternative arrangements, or cancel arrangements - but by the same token, I have to stand with my fellow workers to fight for what is right, for fair pay and conditions, which is really not a lot for any worker to want or ask for in the 21st century, whilst them at the top take all they can, when they could quite easily get by in life without a pay rise for the next 5 years.

It's greed at the top that's put you out, not those living on the poverty line and being undervalued at the bottom.
hammers92

Post by hammers92 »

A society with collective bargaining arrangements in all sectors is one which genuinely frightens our Government.

Stay where you are peasant, and don’t complain.
North Devon Hammer 2
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by North Devon Hammer 2 »

For the odd person critical of railway workers.

I work at a railway station ticket office. We haven't had a pay rise for three years and our wages are poor ( fortunately for me I have a Civil service pension to fall on)
Part of the latest pay offer is to close all ticket offices and replace them with staff guiding customer to automatic ticket machines. A lot of our customers are elderly and/or vulnerable and they want to have a proper conversation with someone who can help and reassure them.
As for automated ticket machines and booking on line, I spend at least half of my day sorting out the mess that customers have made with on- line booking. Modern technology is great when it works but hopeless when things go wrong.
I earned a lot more as a Civil servant than I do as a railway worker but I get far more satisfaction in my current job and work with a really good group of people who care about the things that really matter. This is not about cash it's about the job that we do.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

I'm asking a genuine question not taking sides one way or the other, but where do striking rail workers expect the money for their demands to come from? Have they costed them?
hammers92

Post by hammers92 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:49 pm I'm asking a genuine question not taking sides one way or the other, but where do striking rail workers expect the money for their demands to come from? Have they costed them?
Rail companies are making plenty of profit, start there.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/firstg ... rs-payout/
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:49 pm I'm asking a genuine question not taking sides one way or the other, but where do striking rail workers expect the money for their demands to come from? Have they costed them?
Have you seen the profits being taken out of our taxpayer supported railways by foreign owners?
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

Just think of the pressure they're putting on the government who have only been in power for 23 days
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Thank you for your answers :newthumb:
Essexmaniac
Has liked: 124 likes
Total likes: 144 likes

Post by Essexmaniac »

Rail companies, where most of the profit goes abroad to the foreign owners.
Another example Royal Mail where they imposed a 2.2% wage increase with terms destroying plans. Meanwhile whilst claiming they are losing £1m a day can pay the directors mega bonuses. Also giving shareholders bumper dividends. Offering money and gift voucher bonuses to managers to work their days off during the strikes and cash bonuses for all managers who do not have unscheduled time off during the strikes. In the most recent talks they confirmed there is more money available for wages. So in the case of Royal Mail, there is more money as there will be at the rail companies.
daytimedave
Has liked: 273 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by daytimedave »

strike action i can just about handle,however........
"Services will also start later on Thursday 6 and Sunday 9 October."
whats this go slow on the following day ffs ? can some one explain ?