The Strikes Thread

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Re: The Strikes Thread

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

mumbles87 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:39 pm Sammy takes all the extras and treats as a stick to beat them because they dare to ask for more

Overtime shouldn't be taken account at all. No Dr should have to do overtime to make an acceptable living or be used as a stick to beat them when they help out due to poor coverage etc
And the union shouldn't claim 35% based on take home pay or spout about pret a manger based on spurious figures but presumably thats ok by you.

29k (33k in london) not an acceptable living for a training position for someone fresh out of uni? You might think it low but unacceptable.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

For a junior Dr? Not at all.

Teachers start on 30k isn't it? Or near the same. That's not enough for teachers either but no it's not acceptable for someone who's put themselves into that much debt and studied to that much level of knowledge and is willing to provide medical care to people who can't even be bothered to look after themselves

No it's not even remotely enough

35% is a headline figure not the figure that will end up being agreed don't even pretend you don't understand how negotiations work.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:20 pm Yeah certainly nothing to do with unions and trying to get a general strike going.
All they’ve done is represent their members and got a better deal for them.
SammyLeeWasOffside

mumbles87 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:54 pm is willing to provide medical care to people who can't even be bothered to look after themselves

35% is a headline figure not the figure that will end up being agreed don't even pretend you don't understand how negotiations work.
What on earth?

It's a headline grabbing figure. It's also made up.

You, rightly, rail against (no pun intended) a Tory govt misrepresenting things in the train industry but are happy for unions to misrepresent and bring medical services to a halt.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

If you actually read my posts on strikes I'm heavily critical on the rmt within lul and misrepresentation

Stop bashing the drs and saying oh they earn enough. It's what they signed up for. Inflation and conditions change things

They deserve a lot more than 29k starting.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

How much extra do they deserve?
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

At least 35k starting (basic no shift allowance or overtime) out of London and 40k starting inner London.

Minimum.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

How did you arrive at that figure?
SammyLeeWasOffside

mumbles87 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:59 am Stop bashing the drs and saying oh they earn enough. It's what they signed up for. Inflation and conditions change things
Those on 1st year pay, by definition have been there less than a year. So they absolutely signed up for it.

Those in year 2 are paid 17% more than they were last year. That's inflation covered.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I believe a fresh out of med school junior doctor will be on a package of £42k (incl employer bunse to pension, "london weighting") in inner London now if the base is £29k- for a job with hours between 6am-8pm Monday to Friday, AIUI.

Most NHS staff have add ons and premiums payable in their salaries if they work outside those hours also, so I'd assume the same applies to a doctor?
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1300 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Pretty clearly, after months of hoping and expecting that strikes would in time alienate the public, the government are back-pedalling. People don’t believe that Sunak and co help the situation …

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... -of-misery
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:13 am Pretty clearly, after months of hoping and expecting that strikes would in time alienate the public, the government are back-pedalling. People don’t believe that Sunak and co help the situation …

They’ve claimed throughout it would fuel inflation, and that there was no money available.

All they ever needed to do was get into a room and have a serious discussion instead of sound bites and divisive rhetoric. This was always ideological.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1300 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Absolutely. And another wedge issue which is in the absence of new (sane, vote winning) ideas is all they have got. Except it didn’t scan as they expected hence they gave it up as a bad job. They’ve eked this out unnecessarily for months and for what?
SammyLeeWasOffside

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:13 am Pretty clearly, after months of hoping and expecting that strikes would in time alienate the public, the government are back-pedalling. People don’t believe that Sunak and co help the situation …

Didn't they offer £1400 consolidated back in July?

The deal is a one off payment and then advanced notice if where the April pay settlement would probably have come down. Wouldn't £1400 consolidated in July and then 5% from next April have been more?

I've lost track a bit tbh with all these numbers flying about.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Rmt are voting to accept the network rail deal

NHS on verge

Hopefully this can be start of the end

However not for lul they will rattle on. Pension statement is out and whatever happens the gov need to support any change , the only change they will support is a move to the LGPS . Now no offence to anyone on it not one member would want to move to it because you move to average earnings not final (appreciate average is fairer) you have to pay double into it from what you do now to get less out and retirement moves from 60 minimum to 66

Now my reasonable head on says 66 is only fair as people live longer, average earnings is fairer but I don't support paying double

Not when the scheme is massively in profit and sustainable anyways

The common thought from the pension board is that Lu are delaying it as much as possible for the funding deal to expire then they can leave as is

The company doesn't want it to change, the members don't , the mayor doesn't (not that he really matters) just the gov does

The only thing the gov fail to realise is change it and you will suddenly get those hanging on just retiring and then there will be a mass exodus of people ..

Problem is until it's settled there will be a reckon at least one strike a month until then (personal opinion not fact)
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Given the amount of crap foisted upon them that they had to deal with in 2021/22 due to a Global Pandemic, I think doctors, nurses, and teachers - especially - have earned the right to have much better pay than they currently have and, to be honest, better than most people who have relatively comfortable office jobs, let alone those that work in high street coffee chains.

Seems like this Government thought they were paid off by clapping on the doorstep.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Sorry but they make record profits they can offer their staff good deals.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

mumbles87 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:46 pm Sorry but they make record profits they can offer their staff good deals.
totally agree, will be hard for a lot of those workers in the coming years, what with a move to 0-carbon economy, they need to get it whilst it is there.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I can't see on that link on what they currently earn and what the conditions are that they want improving?