The Monarchy

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Re: The Monarchy

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Big George wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:46 pm This is pathetic from the Met.
Mystic JBB's predictions are coming true :winker:
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Samba »

I don't think of Camilla as Queen. To me, she's just the King's wife.
What would happen if he died? She'd remain in post as 'Queen'?
No, of course she wouldn't. Can hardly become the Queen/King Mother, either.
southbrishammer
Has liked: 117 likes
Total likes: 341 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

Samba wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:40 pm I don't think of Camilla as Queen. To me, she's just the King's wife.
What would happen if he died? She'd remain in post as 'Queen'?
No, of course she wouldn't. Can hardly become the Queen/King Mother, either.
I thought she was Queen Consort. When/ why did this change, and who gets to decide these things?
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 482 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

IIRC the queen gave her full future queen status before she passed away
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 308 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

southbrishammer wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:54 am I thought she was Queen Consort. When/ why did this change, and who gets to decide these things?
She is. It hasn't changed. Queen is a recognised way to refer to the queen consort. It doesn't come with any change in her constitutional powers.
Catch42.
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Catch42. »

Thanks goodness the police have got new powers to stop social disruption.

I have been told that in London last Saturday there were people blocking the streets, dressed in outlandish costumes with no consideration for people wanting to carry on with their normal activities.

This meant that children missed school, people were not able to attend hospital appointments and were forced to look for alternative routes to avoid the congestion.

This can’t be allowed to continue. The sooner our wonderful Metropolitan police force put a stop to these unnecessary disturbances the better.
Coops
Has liked: 450 likes
Total likes: 588 likes

Post by Coops »

Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 273 likes
Total likes: 346 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

Didn't watch it (even though it was live on 5 french TV channels). I did see the moment when they pur on his magic hat but that was by accident.
I did watch a "Reaction" video on YT the next day (Americans rect to....") and found myself thinking "What a grotesque pantomime."
Vive la République!
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2677 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Samba wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:40 pm I don't think of Camilla as Queen.

I'll always think of her as ' The People's Queen ' or ' Our Queen Of Hearts ' .

I hope she gets to launch a ship at least .
billybondsballbag
MILF lover
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by billybondsballbag »

Toulouse_Iron wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:55 am Didn't watch it (even though it was live on 5 french TV channels). I did see the moment when they pur on his magic hat but that was by accident.
I did watch a "Reaction" video on YT the next day (Americans rect to....") and found myself thinking "What a grotesque pantomime."
Vive la République!
:wolfy: "Scrap The Monarchy" is at 17 in the midweek chart. There's not wall-to-wall support for the royals in the UK, thankfully.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Welcome to the team Comrade Jen :wolfy:

bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2175 likes
Total likes: 1378 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:17 am I'll always think of her as ' The People's Queen ' or ' Our Queen Of Hearts ' .

I hope she gets to launch a ship at least .
I'm the king of farts. Many a successful launch too.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1667 likes
Total likes: 517 likes

Russian invasion of Ukraine

Post by WHU Independent »

The arrest of people in London attending the Coronation was a national discgrace. Putin, Jimping and Jong Un would have been proud of the way the police handled things. Supposedly a free country where you can air your views, but only at certain times it seems.

And this "spoiling things" agenda doesn't wash. It would have been an inconvience I grant you, but that's no need for heavy handed policing. It's completely right and fair to show that the press's narrative that "the whole country is behind the coronation," is ineed a falacy - many many people don't agree and wanted to make it known on the day.

I hope Republic have learned a lesson here - i.e. that when it comes to mass demonstrations the police are not to be trusted - ever! Republic liased with the police about their presence at the coronation from superintendent level downwards, had their own liasion officer, had agreed what they were going to do, what they signs they would carry and had it approved by the police, yet when they turned up at the agreed place and time with the agreed plackards etc , all the Republic members there were arrested on site. The charges laid against them have now been changed from the original, and it is very clear that police wnated to stop as much of the Republic group as they could.

I saw one young woman and an acceredited jounalist get arrested. Their crime:she was holding a "Just Stop oil" T shirt up and he was reporting on the matter. They will no doubt be de-arrested now the big day has passed.

I don't care if you are pro or anti monarchy, the clear fact is that the new Tory laws against protest - that Starmer has said he won't recind - are so wide ranging, undefined and vaigue that ANY protest in this country can now be quelled bythe police. Don't think it will effect you? Just wait till you want to protest against Sullivan and Brady and have a march. That won't be happening any time soon. Fed up with your social housing issues: no chance of a march there.

The Tories have effectively curtailed protest. And What happens when you can't protest? You go back to the bad old days of "Stop the City" and the Poll Tax Riots. If you are gona get arrested for protesting, why not go the whole hog.

The crux of the matter is that the police are there to do the States will. Break strikes, stop demos and to stop you complaining about your lot in life. Repbulic now know this. What they should do next time is re-egange with the police, do what the police say and agree to everything they want They should then turn up at the appropriate time and place with the minimum off members and plackards and get arrested.

Meanwhile, the majority of their members meet at other pre arranged sites with loads of plackards etc and do their thing. Why should you be trusted by the police, when the police certainly can't be trusted by you?
Last edited by WHU Independent on Wed May 10, 2023 7:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Next time there's a big event at which opponents wish to protest, but fear the police will act the same way again, they could try applying for a court injunction against the Met, its chief constable and all individual officers, allowing them to protest in a stated manner i.e., placards with specified wording in named locations. Breaching an injuction is a serious matter.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2011 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Managed to get a copy of the Coronation Souvenir Programme from WH Smiths. Only £10.

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

southbrishammer wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:54 am I thought she was Queen Consort. When/ why did this change, and who gets to decide these things?
I went to a Queen concert, back in the day
OFT
Has liked: 3186 likes
Total likes: 1829 likes

Post by OFT »

Puff Daddy wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:36 am I went to a Queen concert, back in the day
*doffs cap*
:grin:
billybondsballbag
MILF lover
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by billybondsballbag »

"Scrap The Monarchy" enters the Offical Singles Chart Top Ten despite no airplay or media coverage. :tune:
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:42 pm Welcome to the team Comrade Jen :wolfy:

The saddest thing in all that, 11 year olds knowing and talking about anxiety.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Catch42. wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:27 pm Thanks goodness the police have got new powers to stop social disruption.

I have been told that in London last Saturday there were people blocking the streets, dressed in outlandish costumes with no consideration for people wanting to carry on with their normal activities.

This meant that children missed school, people were not able to attend hospital appointments and were forced to look for alternative routes to avoid the congestion.

This can’t be allowed to continue. The sooner our wonderful Metropolitan police force put a stop to these unnecessary disturbances the better.
:smiler: Nicely done.