The Monarchy

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

The Monarchy

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Be interesting to see if Charles receives the same degree of support and adoration the Queen received. I can't imagine him being anywhere near as popular and respected, but remains to be seen - tough act to follow...
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Re: The Monarch

Post by hammers92 »

I think the monarchy needs a big reboot. I’d like to see a major role for William in public life and despite not everyone’s cup of tea, bring Harry and Meghan back into the fold.

Charles would also be wise to demand his brother stay out of the public eye forever from now on too.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

TBF it gives them the opportunity to make a clean break from Liz & co. before the next lot take over, be a bit like when Alex Ferguson left Man U, as you say, it'd be a tough show to follow.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

I'm not so sure it will be such a tough act - he'll have his own way of going about things. If he were to try and emulate her, then it will be a tough act.

It's mad to think though, that as his mother was so long on the throne and lived to such a ripe old age, even if he matches her lifespan, he'll be on the throne no longer than 23 years.

I don't think we'll ever see a reign as long again - and a mean ever, not even after we're long gone ourselves.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Sorry, should I have included a link or something? I'm not accustomed to being a thread-starter in NUMB, but felt we ought to have a thread to discuss HM King Charles III.

Personally, I think he's outgrown some of his less appealing traits - he appeared to be prone to self-pity in his younger days, for example, though this may very well have been in part due to his doomed marriage to Diana. Certainly, he projects the picture of a man rather more at ease with himself nowadays, presumably because he's happily married, which should help improve his public image.

I'd guess his biggest concern is the amount of "baggage" he carries with him, likely to be held against him. Everything from his ex-wife's tragic demise, to Andrew, to those recent revelations of receiving Saudi Cash and his relationship with his youngest son and daughter-in-law.

While I'm not much of a Royalist, I do wish him well in his reign.
jevs
Has liked: 473 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Post by jevs »

I like Charles but he just comes across as a bit of a prat. His intentions are good and his heart seems in the right place

God save the king
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1222 likes
Total likes: 1641 likes

Post by last.caress »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:22 pm Sorry, should I have included a link or something? I'm not accustomed to being a thread-starter in NUMB
That's the general form Dan, yes, but I reckon we're all pretty clear on the news item that's prompted this thread. :newthumb:

They're talking about this on the telly right now. What sort of Monarch is Charlie likely to be, how he'll stack up against his mum et cetera. Consensus seems to be that it's unlikely he'll be much more than a placeholder given the relative potential brevity of his reign. I don't know if I buy into that entirely; his relatively "short" reign could still run a quarter of a century and he could get plenty of his favoured green issues pushed up the political priority list in that sort of timeframe. But I agree that seismic change from the second Elizabethan era to something significantly different is unlikely to occur during this third Caroline era and will more likely happen once Wills is in the Big Chair. IMHO, like.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

He is a believer in a more slimmed down monarchy, but I have no idea what exactly that means, nor what his plans are, but wish him well. What I do know is, he cannot continue to live at Highgrove, too much of a security risk
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

It's impossible for him to match her, he simply doesn't have the time. If the queen had been crowned when she was 70+ she wouldn't have been thought of as she is. She was 21 so there was an interest and public attraction, she was also suddenly stepping in to a role she hadnt really been prepared for. I imagine that gave her some credit with the public and as people got to know her the affection grew.

Charles seems overall a decent chap. People will, I think, respect him more and more as they hear him in the role but he hasn't got 70 years to build the levels of affection the queen did.

Spoke well just now I thought.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Just as a little point of order, as it's been mentioned incorrectly on a few threads today - QEII was 25 when she took the throne.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

-DL- wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:23 pm Just as a little point of order, as it's been mentioned incorrectly on a few threads today - QEII was 25 when she took the throne.
My mistake the king (seriously how weird is that) mentioned a speech from Africa when she was 21. I just assumed it was after her dad had died.
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

I suspect "slimmed down" will mean we'll see very little of Harry and Her from now on, and nothing whatsoever of Andrew (for whom there's no way back I hope). Likewise Andrew's kids will probably be less visible.

The core will be Charles, Camilla and William's family; that already looks less bloated and less privileged, and more in keeping with public sentiment. The focal point will be Wills and Kate going forward.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

-DL- wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:15 pm I'm not so sure it will be such a tough act - he'll have his own way of going about things. If he were to try and emulate her, then it will be a tough act.

It's mad to think though, that as his mother was so long on the throne and lived to such a ripe old age, even if he matches her lifespan, he'll be on the throne no longer than 23 years.

I don't think we'll ever see a reign as long again - and a mean ever, not even after we're long gone ourselves.
I tend to agree. There is little point in trying to replicate his mother. He has to have his way of doing things, to reduce the number of people drawing comparisons. That is always going to happen, but after a couple of years, most will have forgotten as the new status quo is created.

What we will witness is over a 1000 years old. Just take that in - a 1000 years. Sort of proves how insignificant we are.

The sovereign never dies.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

RichieRiv wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:52 pm .

The sovereign never dies.
And the English civil war is just a fairy story.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Tenbury wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:26 pm And the English civil war is just a fairy story.
The monarch was reinstated, proving that the sovereign/monarch never dies.

Kings and Queens die, monarchs, do not.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:46 pm I suspect "slimmed down" will mean we'll see very little of Harry and Her from now on
Don’t bet on it - her entire “brand” is based on vacuous self-promotion.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:52 pm Don’t bet on it - her entire “brand” is based on vacuous self-promotion.
im still standing by my prediction of long term Megan will run for president of the USA, with harry by her side and william as king...
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

mumbles87 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:05 pm im still standing by my prediction of long term Megan will run for president of the USA, with harry by her side and william as king...
Wouldn’t bet against it - she’s every inch the modern power celebrity. Says nothing of genuine substance, just empty California-speak, whilst promoting herself and claiming victimhood.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

RichieRiv wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:52 pm I tend to agree. There is little point in trying to replicate his mother. He has to have his way of doing things, to reduce the number of people drawing comparisons. That is always going to happen, but after a couple of years, most will have forgotten as the new status quo is created.
They need to find their own way now, which I do think may be quite hard to do. Otherwise he's risking getting sacked off and ending up being king of some place in Spain or what not.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

mumbles87 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:05 pm im still standing by my prediction of long term Megan will run for president of the USA, with harry by her side and william as king...
It's their truth, so who are we to argue? :zippy: