UCL: Silkeborg IF 2-3 West Ham Utd (15/8/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Billy Bonds boots
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Re: ⚽ Silkeborg IF v West Ham United: match thread

Post by Billy Bonds boots »

My worry with scammaca, if moyes don't give game time in the prem will he turn out like haller, I'd love to see him and Antonio on the pitch for a while but moyes is tactics won't allow it I'm afraid.
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:03 am From the corner it should have been a goal, but I did wonder if the ref doubted the corner decision and was looking for a reason to blow. The player did have his hands raised as though he was pushing, so through the crowded area it may have looked likely that he pushed or blocked Areola.Or perhaps the ref was penalising a push on a defender rather than a foul on Areola. We got away with that, and VAR would have allowed it; and VAR would maybe disallow our penalty for a double-touch (although OnePaulHilton disagrees, above).
But also the linesman thwarted a couple of very promising moves by us for dubious offsides (at least one was glaringly wrong). - Same linesman that gave the corner?
Watching the replays, I think that one angle shows one of theirs clearly with both hands pushing into the back of Scamacca and I definitely noticed that the ref seemed to be putting his whistle to his lips before Areola went down, suggesting it was that push he gave it for. I think he was also motioning that there was a two armed push.

Not the same lino as they were both 1st half at different ends.
Panoramix
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Panoramix »

Romfordboy wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:33 am I picked this quote out because it’s true. This is because Moyes refuses to play any other way than Moyesball pragmatic football where we sit back and counter this will mean Antonio will be first choice until he changes his approach.

This is annoying with Scamacca and paqueta in the squad
You either give up Soucek and replace him with some kind of Odegaard (which WHU does not have) and then you can play build up play, or you capitalize on fact that with Soucek you can steal the ball with higher probability and therefore you have chance for more deadly counter attacks.
Moyes is baking the system just right for the players he has...

Now, when he gets in team finaly players like Scamacca and Paqueta, he can make step two and find for team some Odegaard to play next to Rice...Then he will be able to switch between build up play formation or counter atatck formation, depending on opponent. :newthumb:
Last edited by Panoramix on Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
JustJoe85
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by JustJoe85 »

Romfordboy wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:33 am I picked this quote out because it’s true. This is because Moyes refuses to play any other way than Moyesball pragmatic football where we sit back and counter this will mean Antonio will be first choice until he changes his approach.

This is annoying with Scamacca and paqueta in the squad
First thing Moyes said in his post match was about stopping the opposition playing. I think we have the players where it's time to start making the opposition worry about us. Against Chelsea it was all about stopping them and we did it well, same last night but I don't even think we did an especially good job of it.
Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

Seems to me we're using these European games like a training exercise - we get to try out the different style of play we're working towards. But in the PL I would imagine we'll be back to the approach we've used over the last two years. The move from one style to the other is going to take time - it's a transition. Moyes has said they are figuring it out as they go along. It's not a matter of ****ing a switch.

I'll be very happy to see us park the bus against Everton and nick a 0-1 victory. Tbh, I'd be pleased with a draw.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

EastleighHammer16 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:16 am It was obviously not ideal but we dealt with it well in the first half. We were zipping the ball around, playing nice round the corner passes, linking up well. The 2nd half we just completely stopped playing. That's nothing to do with the pitch.
We were 3-1 up. Moyes made a triple sub and no doubt the remit was to try and see the game out without any injuries.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

JustJoe85 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:23 am First thing Moyes said in his post match was about stopping the opposition playing.
I noticed that too.
djbubbles
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 114 likes

Post by djbubbles »

I like Moyes and love that he has us competing on all levels, but i feel like he is inexperienced dealing with our large squad. He dosent know our best shape yet. Its like he dosent know what to do with the numbers or quality we have now. When he arrived, Moyes was better than us and it suited him. Now it seems we are better than him. I hope adjusts soon.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Post by MB »

We know Moyes has a cautious mindset. Pulling him up on that is like pulling up Bilic for being too cavalier!

That’s why Moyes is West Ham United manager and not Manchester United manager.

It annoys me, but our managers, like our players, will always have a “thing” and it annoys me less than some of the other “things” we’ve put up with over the years.

Moyes will always play not to lose (at least at first). He’ll then play to see out rather than destroy. That has to be a given at this stage doesn’t it?
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Think some comments are a bit harsh. I too have doubts about Moyes building ceilings, but European football is different and I think we’re learning.

Even a team like Silkeborg are comfortable on the ball so there is a need to upset that rhythm. That said, I thought we were a bit lucky last night and indebted to Areola’s fine late save.

Had a great time again in the company of the gentle man that is Wanstead. The Danes are lovely people and I wouldn’t be disappointed to come back and face Midtjylland.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

JustJoe85 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:23 am First thing Moyes said in his post match was about stopping the opposition playing. I think we have the players where it's time to start making the opposition worry about us. Against Chelsea it was all about stopping them and we did it well, same last night but I don't even think we did an especially good job of it.
You think the two things are mutually exclusive? That to stop the other team playing you must forgo attacking? And I am sure the other team were worried about us, but they are at home in their biggest game in twenty years so it just might be they are up for it and our players may need reminding that we wont win if we are content to let them have the ball. They also had a clear advantage with the pitch, which was a leveller. We started the game with Cornet, Scamacca, Paqueta playing up front, and Lanzini in the CM with Rice as the one DM player, that's pretty attacking.

What I saw was frustrating, our players unable to find the passes to break the lines time after time, and it got far worse in the second half when he brought on the FIFA gen champ Benrahma, which in Arabic means "I always give the ball back to the opposition when we have an attacking overload".

But we have lost to far worse teams than that in the past, so on balance we have improved.
guineapig
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by guineapig »

Sloop John B wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:49 am

I thought the commentary was funny last night, they flipped all over the shop - 10mins in..."tricky and tough game for West Ham" and then into "West Ham just far better than them" and then back ooh "this is a tough one". Felt like we never got out of second gear - the fear is I'm not that confident that we can move up through the gears as quickly as we'd like when needed.
It was terrible commentary and I noticed that on at least 2 occasions (probably more, I wasn't concentrating) they got the name of the player wrong, and I mean a West Ham player
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

djbubbles wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:55 am I like Moyes and love that he has us competing on all levels, but i feel like he is inexperienced dealing with our large squad. He dosent know our best shape yet. Its like he dosent know what to do with the numbers or quality we have now. When he arrived, Moyes was better than us and it suited him. Now it seems we are better than him. I hope adjusts soon.
Back in his good old days at Everton when he was competing in Europe and at the top of the table with 11 players and a couple of subs. I bet he wishes it was still like that!
Mullhull
Has liked: 346 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Mullhull »

JustJoe85 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:23 am First thing Moyes said in his post match was about stopping the opposition playing. I think we have the players where it's time to start making the opposition worry about us. Against Chelsea it was all about stopping them and we did it well, same last night but I don't even think we did an especially good job of it.
I think you're looking at it too black and white. All we kept hearing about was the pitch, not once did one of their players slip over (correct me if I'm wrong) if anyone here has played on the new style Astros you will know it's a different ball game. The ball was zipping about last night and Silkeborg know how to utilise playing on that surface.

I think Moyes purposely didn't send on Antonio because of the pitch, he's like bambi on ice at times on normal grass.

I will be curious to see other teams vs Silkeborg at home in the remaining games. They moved the ball around really well.

We won't set up to stop them playing at the LS that's for sure.

I don't like the subs made especially as Bowen didn't come on and do anything well neither did Benhrama. Downes could have come on with Soucek and done a good job of seeing the game out.
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

It was a tough watch at times in the second half. Thought we stopped thinking a bit from the 70ish minute mark onwards.

Echo the sentiment on commentary. McManaman is terrible. What is it about ex Scousers that almost guarantees you a job in punditry?
Mullhull
Has liked: 346 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Mullhull »

dave_l wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:33 pm It was a tough watch at times in the second half. Thought we stopped thinking a bit from the 70ish minute mark onwards.

Echo the sentiment on commentary. McManaman is terrible. What is it about ex Scousers that almost guarantees you a job in punditry?
I watched it on Virgin Two (Irish channel) and didn't have any of the usual tripe. Was quite refreshing.
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

The pitch was rough, that was obvious. But I do wish Moyes, and Dec and Dawson and anyone else that had a mic shoved in their face had held a little back on pointing to that as being a reason for the inconsistent performance.
thamesideiron
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 197 likes

Post by thamesideiron »

Def The Irons we all know and love....

I went from going ...you know what we have the makings of a cracking team here to.........

This is F.in Garbage in the space of maybe 25 mins.. :lol:

But I'll take the Cracking Team part forward,and blame easing up when 3-1 up,a slippery plastic pitch,new players knitting together,
and a myriad of other excuses... :lol:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2944 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Thought we were lucky to leave with all 3 points, having said that I think we will hammer them at home.

We shouldn't underestimate how much harder the job becomes when playing twice a week.

Squeezing in training sessions between travel isn't easy and the manager has limited scope to try things out.

We will top this group with ease, but I have to say I think its fantastic a club the size of ours comes to places like Silkeborg and Viborg. They've rolled the red carpet out for us. Hats off to them.

It's good for the game.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

The pitch played a big part in it I thought. We played better as the game progressed with players getting used to it and then when all the new subs came on we had to basically start over again. Bowen in particular was struggling. Anyway, we won that's all that matters although I thought the ref was a definite awayer

How lovely are the Danes, so friendly and helpful. I don't drink but seeing our fans being able to buy a drink and watch the game from the bar or drinking from their seat was great. Loads of flags and banners too. Shame it turned cold and raining, what a joy this place would be in the warm weather.