Mobile phones

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1981 likes

Mobile phones

Post by Monkeybubbles »

My contract is eligible for an upgrade in a couple of weeks.

Usually I just go for whatever is the latest Samsung, but I feel like I should try something different. Tbh, I'm not even sure what my criteria for selection is, and whether it makes any difference.

Let's talk.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Re: Mobile phones

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:59 am My contract is eligible for an upgrade in a couple of weeks.

Usually I just go for whatever is the latest Samsung, but I feel like I should try something different. Tbh, I'm not even sure what my criteria for selection is, and whether it makes any difference.

Let's talk.
Thank me later

:newthumb:
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 247 likes
Total likes: 195 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

I've got the ZFold 3...the new version is out now

I love it, upgraded from a S10+ so the front screen is a lot smaller but when it opens it is a joy to behold.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:36 am I've got the ZFold 3...the new version is out now

I love it, upgraded from a S10+ so the front screen is a lot smaller but when it opens it is a joy to behold.
that's some premium hardware. What's it like for durability?
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 247 likes
Total likes: 195 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:40 am that's some premium hardware. What's it like for durability?
I do have a case for it, but dropped a few times and seems fine. Had the internal screen protector replaced free of charge last week by Samsung direct as it was just starting to come away on the fold but other than that no issues at all
jastons
Has liked: 902 likes
Total likes: 859 likes

Post by jastons »

I've got the Samsung s20+. Had it for almost three years and still works great apart from a temperamental charger port. Don't really want to spend £1k on a new one :-/.
prince_huggy
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by prince_huggy »

Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:25 am I do have a case for it, but dropped a few times and seems fine. Had the internal screen protector replaced free of charge last week by Samsung direct as it was just starting to come away on the fold but other than that no issues at all
Mine has the same problem. Taking it into O2 on the weekend.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

I had a discussion with someone in my office the other day, who was banging on about the new iphone and that he was going to upgrade. I asked what was different between that iphone and the previous one. Apparently the bit at the top of the phone where the speaker was is now gone, and you get an extra 4mm of screen or whatever. That was it. Apparently that is worth £1000 or whatever it is these days. :?
jastons
Has liked: 902 likes
Total likes: 859 likes

Post by jastons »

The top spec iPhone 14 is £1400 + from Costco. A lot of money, and I would never own an iPhone, but I wonder what the cost per minute of use is?
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

jastons wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:14 pm The top spec iPhone 14 is £1400 + from Costco. A lot of money, and I would never own an iPhone, but I wonder what the cost per minute of use is?
With my kids, would be lucky to get £140.

Both have in the past dropped and cracked screens within 10 minutes of opening the bloody box. Would never get either of them new phones.
Jennings
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 253 likes

Post by Jennings »

I’ve got an iPhone & I’m really happy with it. Seems easy to use & quite intuitive. My only grumbles would be the battery isn’t great at holding a charge & it will no longer update because there’s not enough storage left. I think it’s a 6s. Cost me around £100 off eBay five years ago.

Happy to recommend. 👍 Certainly can’t imagine going back to my Nokia 5110 any time soon.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

My iphone XR constantly tries to unlock itself in my pocket and is nearly always locked out. Sometimes for an hour. The other day I pulled it out and it was on the "press here to permanently erase everything on your phone" screen.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

You almost cannot walk with my Samsung in your pocket, even in a shirt pocket.

Every time I have tried to do so, out of the wish to not be bowling down every street I walk down with the large-screened phone in my hand, I have unwittingly called people, brought up and set a new alarm for the clock or even taken a picture of the inside of my pocket. I think it might be because the warmth of the body affects the touch screen, or its maybe because the small button on the side is getting engaged, I don't know, but it is a design fault/irritation.

And the other thing is that they retail with this lead that is effectively a USB cable that to begin with fits nicely into a collapsible plug (one of the three pins on the plug is a movable part and clicks into place), but, after a while the connection between USB plug and socket seems to distort. Once that happens, the phone displays this message - irritating at the best of times - along the lines that charging is at go-slow unless the lead sold with the phone is put to use.

Finally, if we're having a moan up, I think that they've set the default volume of callers' voices way too low, even on what appears to be maximum setting of volume on the device. I never have to ask people to repeat themselves on a landline, or on my old Blackberry Leaf, but am always asking precisely that on this phone.

It does have a decent camera!
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

Got an S22 Ultra. A fantastic bit of kit, and for once, I actually have a phone where I use a lot of it's functionality. The object removal on the camera software is a game changer. I can export images from Lightroom then import them on to my phone to remove bits I don't want in them, then plop them back in to Lightroom to finish off.

The camera in itself is a bit too garish for my liking, but it has the added bonus that you can also use it manually and shoot in RAW, which makes it much better in Lightroom.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1604 likes

Post by alf git »

I honestly can't get my head around people paying a grand and above for a phone 😳
I had to replace my 6 year old phone a couple of months ago. Even though i got £150 off it still cost an eye watering (to me) £230. I really struggled to justify paying that much 😁
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I'm just happy to have whatever the missus passes down to me after she upgrades. That happened to be yesterday so I now have a Samsung A21S to play with. Much better than the crappy Huawei Y6 I had before that.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:17 am Thank me later

:newthumb:
Standby 31 days... GTFI!
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

Jennings wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:28 pm I’ve got an iPhone & I’m really happy with it. Seems easy to use & quite intuitive. My only grumbles would be the battery isn’t great at holding a charge & it will no longer update because there’s not enough storage left. I think it’s a 6s. Cost me around £100 off eBay five years ago.

Happy to recommend. 👍 Certainly can’t imagine going back to my Nokia 5110 any time soon.
You don't do internet banking on it, do you?
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

sendô wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:33 pm My iphone XR constantly tries to unlock itself in my pocket and is nearly always locked out. Sometimes for an hour. The other day I pulled it out and it was on the "press here to permanently erase everything on your phone" screen.
I'm sure your wife believed that.. :winker: :crylol:
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Samba wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:28 pm Standby 31 days... GTFI!
And it's got snake. :scarfer: