Mobile phones

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Jennings
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 253 likes

Re: Mobile phones

Post by Jennings »

Samba wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:29 pm You don't do internet banking on it, do you?
I’m not going to like this am I? ☹️

Yes, mate. I do internet banking on it. 😥
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Jennings wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:06 pm I’m not going to like this am I? ☹️

I'd imagine its to do with security patches, maybe the phone is too old to have the latest ones?
old fart
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by old fart »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:55 pm I'm just happy to have whatever the missus passes down to me after she upgrades. That happened to be yesterday so I now have a Samsung A21S to play with. Much better than the crappy Huawei Y6 I had before that.
Yeah we do that with cars as well, next week I may be entitled to an upgrade to my sock & pants drawer
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Get a Xiaomi.

I have the 11t pro.

It charges from empty to full in 20 minutes. Doesn't open in your pocket, doesn't cost you a body part, doesn't compromise on specs.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 449 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Apple really do have customers where they want them with the constant upgrade to a newest model. I use the iPhone because I always have.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1872 likes
Total likes: 2491 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Work’s given me iPhones for the last decade. They are masters of style over substance and their ability to keep you trapped in their ecosystem. No way would I buy them, I’d get an android handset if I was paying.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

What is it about iPhone users, where almost without exception, they never call it their 'phone'?

'I've left my iPhone in the kitchen, I'll go and get it' or 'I've loads of pictures on my iPhone'.

Nobody else I know will say 'I'm typing this on my Galaxy S10' or 'I've left my 11t upstairs, oh bugger'.

Goes back to the old adage of 'How do you know if someone has an iPhone? They'll tell you soon enough.'
Joffrey
Has liked: 112 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Joffrey »

It really is a feat of engineering by apple to produce a product which lasts pretty much exactly the duration of your 3 year contract. Last few iPhones I have had have started overheating in month 36 in time for an upgrade.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 449 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I definitely call my iPhone my phone. How about where’s my Walkman? Give the house a Hoover! Put it over the Tannoy.

Brand names.
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 243 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

-DL- wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:40 pm What is it about iPhone users, where almost without exception, they never call it their 'phone'?

'I've left my iPhone in the kitchen, I'll go and get it' or 'I've loads of pictures on my iPhone'.

Nobody else I know will say 'I'm typing this on my Galaxy S10' or 'I've left my 11t upstairs, oh bugger'.

Goes back to the old adage of 'How do you know if someone has an iPhone? They'll tell you soon enough.'
I’ve had iPhones for years, but have never referred to it like that. I genuinely don’t know anyone who does!
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 243 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

Joffrey wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:15 pm It really is a feat of engineering by apple to produce a product which lasts pretty much exactly the duration of your 3 year contract. Last few iPhones I have had have started overheating in month 36 in time for an upgrade.
I’ve heard this mentioned a few times, but never had this issue.

My boy has my old model that’s been going strong for 5/6 years. My daughter has the missus’ old model that’s been running without issue for 4/5 years.

Maybe we’ve just been lucky.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:02 pm I definitely call my iPhone my phone. How about where’s my Walkman? Give the house a Hoover! Put it over the Tannoy.

Yes, that's definitely the same. Most definitely, because I've heard so many people call their Samsung, HTC, Sony, Hauwai phone an iPhone.
jastons
Has liked: 900 likes
Total likes: 858 likes

Post by jastons »

fjthegrey wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:39 pm Get a Xiaomi.

I have the 11t pro.

It charges from empty to full in 20 minutes. Doesn't open in your pocket, doesn't cost you a body part, doesn't compromise on specs.
Is bloatware an issue?
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

:grin:
Supposedly, if a phone is no longer receiving updates, it's possible that its security could be breached & that using internet banking on it, may be a bit risky.
I have however, no idea just how much of a risk it is. Just something to think about. :newthumb:
I should have googled it really..
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

just give samba your date of birth, mothers maiden name, favorite colour, NI number and sort code, he'll sort out any issues. :newthumb:
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:26 am just give samba your date of birth, mothers maiden name, favorite colour, NI number and sort code, he'll sort out any issues. :newthumb:
:crylol: Sounds reasonable to me..
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1982 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

In the absence of any real differentiators between the various options, I think I'm going with Fairphone....

https://shop.fairphone.com/gb_en/

Easily repairable, five year warranty and support, high recycled/recyclable material content.

Probably all just marketing guff, but it does seem like the right choice for muesli munchers
Jennings
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 253 likes

Post by Jennings »

Thank you Samba, thank you Hummer.

I’m definitely going to replace it for something a bit more up to date. I wouldn’t want some unfortunate soul accidentally burdening themselves by stealing my overdraft.

I can get a brand new iPhone 11 for just £11 a month more than my current sim only plan but I’d really like to move away from Apple, it’s not a company that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Jennings wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:57 am Thank you Samba, thank you Hummer.

I’m definitely going to replace it for something a bit more up to date. I wouldn’t want some unfortunate soul accidentally burdening themselves by stealing my overdraft.

I can get a brand new iPhone 11 for just £11 a month more than my current sim only plan but I’d really like to move away from Apple, it’s not a company that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.
I'd follow fj's suggestion and go for a xiaomi if you're looking to keep costs down but still want a good spec phone. They're really good specs for the price. Camera possibly not as good as the higher spec iphones and samsungs - it depends on how advanced you want the camera to be.
southbrishammer
Has liked: 117 likes
Total likes: 341 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

-DL- wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:40 pm What is it about iPhone users, where almost without exception, they never call it their 'phone'?
Why do people even call them phones any more?

In two pages of this thread, screen size, camera quality and availability of Snake have been mentioned, but not the quality of the phone app. I know that is a given these days, but don't most people use text for communication, and handsets are mainly for internet and media access?