Mobile phones

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: Mobile phones

Post by S-H »

Always makes me scratch my head seeing those who plead poverty, yet are still able to justify having the latest phone every year or two.
The Straw
Has liked: 550 likes
Total likes: 1334 likes

New Smartphone

Post by The Straw »

I've had my Honor 8X for nearly 4 years now and it's been an absolute beast for the £200 it cost me.

Looking to get something new now and am aware Black Friday is around the corner.

Want to keep to a budget of £250.

Features i'm after: 5g, great battery life, fast-ish charging, decent storage, decent camera.

Any recommendations from the tech gurus of KUMB?

Thanks in advance!
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Re: New Smartphone

Post by -DL- »

I'm going to sound like a right grumpy old fart. I fear I'm turning in to my dad. But anyway...

I didn't want my main number on my website and FB photography pages, so took out a cheap contract with Virgin Media for a 'work' phone and got a bottom of the range Samsung Galaxy A13.

As a user of a Galaxy S22 Ultra, I'm kinda like aside from it being much posher, and 8 times more expensive and a a lot faster - what is the point in having an S22 Ultra when this A13 does the exact same job?
southbrishammer
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

-DL- wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:40 am
As a user of a Galaxy S22 Ultra
How often do they introduce new models these days? I bought a refurbished S9 about a year ago and thought it was vaguely up to date, but it seems like I'm 13 models behind the curve!

Incidentally it works fine for the limited things I need, and has survived a close encounter with melted chocolate in the charging socket (not a euphemism), so I have no immediate plans to upgrade.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

southbrishammer wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:03 am How often do they introduce new models these days? I bought a refurbished S9 about a year ago and thought it was vaguely up to date, but it seems like I'm 13 models behind the curve!
After the S10, it became the S20, S21, S22 - so only 4 behind the curve! It's yearly they bring a new one out.
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

Last 5 years or so,I have had Cubot phones. Can't fault em. The latest one cost £120 something. Great phones,do what they are meant to. Having sim only contract brings your bills down as well.
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

S-H wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:19 pm Always makes me scratch my head seeing those who plead poverty, yet are still able to justify having the latest phone every year or two.
I think a lot of it is because phone companies have normalised the leasing of phones. Can't think of any other household tech that you lease, but people still bang on about being 'due an upgrade' like its a perk of the contract. Just buy a new phone when you actually need to, and that isn't after 12-24 months. I really don't get it.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 840 likes

Post by mushy »

The Straw wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:25 pm I've had my Honor 8X for nearly 4 years now and it's been an absolute beast for the £200 it cost me.

Looking to get something new now and am aware Black Friday is around the corner.

Want to keep to a budget of £250.

Features i'm after: 5g, great battery life, fast-ish charging, decent storage, decent camera.

Any recommendations from the tech gurus of KUMB?

Thanks in advance!
The latest Honor 8X still goes for under £300.
Why not stick with what you know?.
https://www.hihonor.com/uk/phones/honor ... MwQAvD_BwE
The Straw
Has liked: 550 likes
Total likes: 1334 likes

Post by The Straw »

mushy wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:22 pm The latest Honor 8X still goes for under £300.
It did cross my mind, but I just presumed that seeing as it's 4 years since it's original release, it won't be much good to me in another four years time, which is when I intend to change this latest new phone. It's tech will be 8 years old by then. Better to get a newer model now with newer tech and with 5G, right?

Probably just gonna go for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 11 5G at around £300 (hopefully less with Black Friday discount).
Hammersfaniow
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hammersfaniow »

Bought an iPhone 11 Pro from Cex for about £450, comes with 2 year warranty, together with a sim from virgin that costs £8 per month for calls/texts plus 18gb. perfect for my needs.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

sendô wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:21 pm I had a discussion with someone in my office the other day, who was banging on about the new iphone and that he was going to upgrade. I asked what was different between that iphone and the previous one. Apparently the bit at the top of the phone where the speaker was is now gone, and you get an extra 4mm of screen or whatever. That was it. Apparently that is worth £1000 or whatever it is these days. :?
This. Phones are now the pinnacle example of consumerism nonsense imho. Anyone who tells me they have the new iphone 427XXY turbo just gets these questions.

1) Does it have a camera
2) Can you make calls and texts on it
3) Can you access the internet.

Yes? Well it's the same as mine then.

I've had my latest over 2 years now, and the one before that about 4 years. I go into 02 and ask for a package that includes insurance and comes out around 28 quid a month. Whatever phone that is I have. All I can tell you is I have a Samsung but I have no idea other than that what it is.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

mushy wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:22 pm The latest Honor 8X still goes for under £300.
Are honor still in the same boat as haowi was in which it was banned from using all Google services? Ie YouTube, Gmail, Google pay, which makes an android pretty rubbish

They made their own system but wasn't as supported

Honor was affected as owned by them

Few years ago people stuck with the models still supported and they died a death after without Google outside of China
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

-DL- wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:40 am I'm going to sound like a right grumpy old fart. I fear I'm turning in to my dad. But anyway...

I didn't want my main number on my website and FB photography pages, so took out a cheap contract with Virgin Media for a 'work' phone and got a bottom of the range Samsung Galaxy A13.

As a user of a Galaxy S22 Ultra, I'm kinda like aside from it being much posher, and 8 times more expensive and a a lot faster - what is the point in having an S22 Ultra when this A13 does the exact same job?
My Mrs has a Galaxy A12 for her work phone and she says the same as you coming from an S22.

The worst thing (for the customer) phone manufacturers have done is make it difficult to change the battery.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

jastons wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:48 am My Mrs has a Galaxy A12 for her work phone and she says the same as you coming from an S22.

The worst thing (for the customer) phone manufacturers have done is make it difficult to change the battery.
in fairness, I'd imagine with this often found super-duper fast charging tech to have a removable battery might increase risks of fire or explosion - i only say that because of the power levels in some cases being pumped through what is essentially tiny wires.
BabyClaret
Has liked: 20 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by BabyClaret »

I continue to bang the drum of Xiaomi phones.

Cheap, excellent value for money, reliable, great battery. On my second after having my first for 3 years, was thinking about getting it replaced and then I smashed the screen - all my own fault!.

https://www.mi.com/uk/store
mushy

Post by mushy »

The Straw wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:11 pm It did cross my mind, but I just presumed that seeing as it's 4 years since it's original release, it won't be much good to me in another four years time, which is when I intend to change this latest new phone. It's tech will be 8 years old by then. Better to get a newer model now with newer tech and with 5G, right?

Probably just gonna go for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 11 5G at around £300 (hopefully less with Black Friday discount).
Except that it's a brand new phone but confusingly is called the X8 (rather then 8X).
By the way the Redmi Note 11 looks a good phone as well.
Am waiting for Black Friday and will choose between the two of them.
mushy

Post by mushy »

mumbles87 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:24 am Are honor still in the same boat as haowi was in which it was banned from using all Google services? Ie YouTube, Gmail, Google pay, which makes an android pretty rubbish

They made their own system but wasn't as supported

Honor was affected as owned by them

Few years ago people stuck with the models still supported and they died a death after without Google outside of China
Not any more, you can use all Google apps and services on Honor phones now.
Not even sure if they are even part of Haowi any more either.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

fjthegrey wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:39 pm Get a Xiaomi.
You should still do this.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

jastons wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:48 am My Mrs has a Galaxy A12 for her work phone and she says the same as you coming from an S22.
Yeah, I'm already starting to see the absolutely massive differences in functionality for what I use a phone for between the two :oops:

Maybe I was somewhat too hasty in my comparisons :grin:
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

S-H wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:19 pm Always makes me scratch my head seeing those who plead poverty, yet are still able to justify having the latest phone every year or two.
Maybe getting a new phone could be cheaper doing it that way mate.

We've been with Vodafone/Samsung Galaxy since 2010 when the Galaxy S3 came out. We've renewed our contract/phones roughly every two years.

Other than when we went from S9 to S20, all our contracts have been cheaper than the last.

We just renewed again 2 weeks ago (now on S22) and we're paying £9 a month less each per month, we got £50 credit added to our account, a pair of the latest Samsung ear buds each and we sold our old phones to CEX for £346 for the pair.