West Ham Utd 2-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers (1/10/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Wolverhampton Wanderers: match thread

Post by hammerman11 »

Fabianski Kehrer Zouma Ogbonna Emerson Downes Rice Paqueta Bowen Scamacca Cornet

not sure ogbonna is ready yet.same applies to dawson . if coufal is to be dropped then we must play kehrer at RB

other than dawson for og I also like the team but will moyes drop so many , I doubt it.
El brooko79
Has liked: 3025 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Gsbgsb wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:55 pm If Fornals was not in such woeful form yes. Let him watch and come on with say 30 to go. Same as we have for Scamacca. People want them to start because they are shinny new toys but neither has done anything in their PL appearances to justify this.

Problem is players we should be able to rely on are so off form (Fornals, Soucek, Bowen) that we have had to throw in Pacqueta when he is not acclimatised. Not his fault but he is also struggling.
I think we have got used to holding players back too much as Moyes does it.
Paqueta and Scamacca should be playing and getting useful to the league. They are not gonna prove themselves sitting on the bench.
Personally I think holding Vlasic back was counter productive but atleast the players in front of him were performing.
That's not the case now
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1991 likes
Total likes: 1667 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

with regard to Bowen, do we have

a) a Bowen who is raging to prove Southgate wrong by not playing him

or

b) a Bowen who is completely demoralised and now figures his chances of going to Qatar are less than zero
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:35 pm with regard to Bowen, do we have

a) a Bowen who is raging to prove Southgate wrong by not playing him

or

b) a Bowen who is completely demoralised and now figures his chances of going to Qatar are less than zero
b) Bowen who is completely demoralised and now figures his chances of going to Qatar are less than zero
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1372 likes
Total likes: 988 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

I don't know but Hull City will be hoping he gets his 5th England cap soon.

Maybe he hasn't fully recovered from that broken bone in his foot back in March ?

It's a common enough injury for a footballer but maybe that's why he's not firing on all four cyclinders.
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by JonG86 »

It's mad that people make snap judgements on players after 1 game.

Downes plays against Bucharest and has a decent game "Start him in the prem over Fornals."

Kehrer plays 1 game at RB vs England "Start him at RB in the prem, shift Zouma to his weaker position and play Dawson."

Baffling.
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1163 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Being reported by the website that gets everything wrong - that Rice will be fit

Suggest people only post preferred starting-11’s which exclude him.
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1365 likes
Total likes: 770 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

JonG86 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:49 pm It's mad that people make snap judgements on players after 1 game.

Downes plays against Bucharest and has a decent game "Start him in the prem over Fornals."

Kehrer plays 1 game at RB vs England "Start him at RB in the prem, shift Zouma to his weaker position and play Dawson."

Baffling.
Kehrer has played a lot of games, including internationals, at right back, certainly nothing new for him there. I’d prefer Oggy left of Zouma if he’s anywhere near fit, but if he doesn’t start playing now not sure how he, or any of the new boys for that matter, are supposed to get up to PL pace. Zouma and Oggy were superb early last year, can they get near that level again until Aguerd is ready?
As for Downes repeating sentiments above, how will we ever know until we try him. He passed his only test to date, Fornals is off form, and the next 3 games, Wolves, Fulham and Southampton present a better chance for him to settle and be judged than waiting until we go to Anfield and Old Trafford. Interesting one Downes, perhaps he lost his way a bit at Ipswich, but he’s only 23 and at 19-20 was in the young England set up with several of todays full international squad.
What have we got to lose? After 4 miserable hours driving home from Everton I’d like to see Moyes give it a go, is it really a gamble to play his expensive set of new boys, bar Downes they all made international appearances this week, hard to keep arguing they aren’t ready.
JonG86

Post by JonG86 »

1895Hammer wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:29 pm Kehrer has played a lot of games, including internationals, at right back, certainly nothing new for him there. I’d prefer Oggy left of Zouma if he’s anywhere near fit, but if he doesn’t start playing now not sure how he, or any of the new boys for that matter, are supposed to get up to PL pace. Zouma and Oggy were superb early last year, can they get near that level again until Aguerd is ready?
As for Downes repeating sentiments above, how will we ever know until we try him. He passed his only test to date, Fornals is off form, and the next 3 games, Wolves, Fulham and Southampton present a better chance for him to settle and be judged than waiting until we go to Anfield and Old Trafford. Interesting one Downes, perhaps he lost his way a bit at Ipswich, but he’s only 23 and at 19-20 was in the young England set up with several of today's full international squad.
What have we got to lose? After 4 miserable hours driving home from Everton, I’d like to see Moyes give it a go, is it really a gamble to play his expensive set of new boys, bar Downes they all made international appearances this week, hard to keep arguing they aren’t ready.
I get your Kehrer point. However, many people are now making a judgement on him based on that one game they watched in which he was ok and remodeling a defence that hasn't really been that bad.

Downes is more confusing as it seems to be trying to play him in an unfamiliar role as an 8, or in the same system. DOn't get me wrong though, I'd love him to come in and absolutely smash it. I just question peoples reasoning.

I feel quite strongly that 4-3-3 is the way to go (I've said it before). It's pretty likely that Antonio will be rested after playing late last night for Jamaica, so Scamacca will likely start. Bowen will hopefully have a fire lit underneath him and Soucek can play that advanced 8 role that saw him nearly score a hattrick vs Forest.

Fingers crossed I guess.
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1365 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

JonG86 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:38 pm I get your Kehrer point. However, many people are now making a judgement on him based on that one game they watched in which he was ok and remodeling a defence that hasn't really been that bad.

Downes is more confusing as it seems to be trying to play him in an unfamiliar role as an 8, or in the same system. DOn't get me wrong though, I'd love him to come in and absolutely smash it. I just question peoples reasoning.

I feel quite strongly that 4-3-3 is the way to go (I've said it before). It's pretty likely that Antonio will be rested after playing late last night for Jamaica, so Scamacca will likely start. Bowen will hopefully have a fire lit underneath him and Soucek can play that advanced 8 role that saw him nearly score a hattrick vs Forest.

Fingers crossed I guess.

Think nearly all of us want 433 !

Once Aguerd is fit it’ll be him and Zouma centrally, without wingbacks can’t see past a back 4 so having Kehrer and Emerson as quicker better passing full backs makes sense to me.
I’d hope Downes plays as a holding midfielder. It’s Rice’s best position but I think Moyes will continue indulging Declan’s Gerrard fantasy so perhaps Downes holding and Rice and Paqueta gives us a balance.
After Antonio’s squabbles with Jamaica I just hope at rising 33 he’s proved his point in getting a few caps and concentrates on becoming our last 20 super sub.
With you on Bowen, I hope he’ll come out fighting, but right now I think Soucek needs a break, he’s played almost non stop for over 2 years during which time he’s jumped from Czech league to the Pl and become his country’s captain. He just needs a proper break and I’m sure he’ll come back but at the moment he’s sliding down the levels game by game.
Takeiteasy
Has liked: 2071 likes
Total likes: 689 likes

Post by Takeiteasy »

Takeiteasy wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:32 pm Fabianski
Johnson Kehrer Zouma Emerson
Paqueta Rice Downes
Cornet Scamcca Benrahma

Pace needed.
Still sticking with this.
JonG86

Post by JonG86 »

If we're going teams we'd like to see:

Fab
Coufal
Zouma
Kehrer
Cresswell
Rice
Fornals
Paqueta
Bowen
Benrahma
Scamacca
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes

Post by Billydinho »

What I’d like to see:

Areola

Kehrer
Dawson
Zouma
Emerson

Rice
Downes

Bowen
Paqueta
Benrahma

Antonio

What Moyes will play:

Fabianski

Coufal
Zouma
Kehrer
Cresswell

Soucek
Rice

Bowen
Paqueta
Fornals

Antonio
Polaroid
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 223 likes

Post by Polaroid »

Rice to sit deep(ish), allowing the fullbacks to advance.
Bowen & Benrahma to make out to in runs to link up with Scamacca when he drops to receive/lay off the ball.
Bosh! Job done!
Fabianski
Coufal Kehrer Zouma Emerson
Rice
Bowen Paqueta Fornals Benrahma
Scamacca
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

trouble is coufal cant get back if he makes those runs. if og or dawson are fit enough then maybe try kehrer at RB and one of them partners zouma.

the old chelski scumbag costa will be up to his usual tricks so be good to have daws in to smash him!

my team

fabianski
kehrer dawson zouma emerson
rice downes paqueta
bowen scamacca cornet

subs areola coufal cresswell ogbonna soucek lanzini fornals benrahma antonio

1-0 hammers scamacca
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

i just want moyes to start picking a team that looks solid and doesn't have players out of position. And stop picking two damn goalkeepers on the bench. And go out attacking to take a lead and keep it instead of spending the first half knocking the ball around nowhere and wasting 45mins.

fabianski
kehrer dawson zouma cresswell
rice soucek
bowen paqueta antonio
scamacca

bring on cornet to replace any upfront who are tiring. At least with soucek, scamacca, dawson and zouma we have our height back.

Subs: areola, coufal, ogbonna, cornet, emerson, fornals, lanzini, downes, benrahma

I pick dawson and cresswell because they offer more going forwards. but both kehrer and cresswell can be subbed.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3201 likes
Total likes: 2331 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

I can see the rationale behind a transition to 4-3-3, but the obvious danger is that it could leave us with (even) less natural width. I think you have to play Coufal in that side as the only RB we have who will really bomb on and make the extra man in attack, and probably the same for Emerson over Cresswell.

The biggest issue right now is getting our attacks to gel, pass progressively through the opposition, and not have players constantly isolated as they have been to date. I know Moyes won't think like this, but let's risk conceding a few if it means we actually attack with some purpose and look like we want to score.

Not sure how to link to it, but the Premier League app has a tactics breakdown on Antonio and Bowen and there are some very revealing stats in there. There's not been a single game yet this season when Antonio has successfully passed to Bowen more than once!

EDIT - found it online: https://www.premierleague.com/news/2806173

Long story short, playing Bowen and Antonio behind Scamacca likely aids our directness, but makes our passing even worse than it is already. I'd want at least one better technical player up there in a 3 or possibly two in a 3 behind the 1.
Last edited by StevePottsGoalsReel on Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Panoramix wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:32 am Fabianski
Coufal Dawson Zouma Cresswell
Rice Cornet
Bowen Paqueta (sub. Fornals) Antonio (sub. Benrahma)
Scamacca

team needs changes but not dramatic changes...starting XI cannot be changed more than 20-30% from match to match
I’d argue that Cornet at def mid would be pretty dramatic 😁
stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by stu1 »

JonG86 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:49 pm It's mad that people make snap judgements on players after 1 game.

Baffling.
More baffling is that you genuinely believe the reasons you state are why people want to play Kehrer RB and Downes CDM.

The reasons are rather obvious and not those that you mention. Downes at CDM and Kehrer at RB would be the two changes which I’d 100% make. I’d expect they would improve our ball retention and ability to build attacks significantly. Our right side is currently offering nothing.
StevePottsGoalsReel wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:24 am I can see the rationale behind a transition to 4-3-3, but the obvious danger is that it could leave us with (even) less natural width. I think you have to play Coufal in that side as the only RB we have who will really bomb on and make the extra man in attack,
Kehrer was almost playing RWB out of possession against England, he’s not a CB that will be defensive at RB.

If anything he’d be a more attacking option than Coufal who often gets a nose bleed on the ball in the final third of the pitch.
Romfordboy
Has liked: 150 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by Romfordboy »

I’m loving seeing teams without soucek and Antonio

Moyes back is against the wall I really can’t see him changing for this game

Looking forward to being back on the thread when the team is released