West Ham Utd 2-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers (1/10/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Wolverhampton Wanderers: match thread

Post by kitthehammer »

Just thought i'd say, but i think we are a much better team with Dawson playing.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

sutts07 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:41 pm For those who like a stat, WhoScored say that we attempted 393 passes against Wolves.
58 long and 335 short.
38 aimed head height or above and 355 aimed to feet.
261 forwards and 131 backwards.
100 in our own third of the pitch, 179 in the middle third and 114 in the final third.

20 of those passes (long, head height and forward) were goal kicks/free kicks taken by Fabianski.

That shows the vast majority of our passes were short, to feet, played forwards and in the final two thirds of the pitch.
Kehrer made a big difference at RB. His composure and athleticism allowed him to cope with the tight sequences out by the touchline. Coufal often resorts to hoofing it up the line because he's not athletic enough to get the ball as quickly before pressure is on him.

I would probably still categorise us as a bit of a long ball team primarily - or at least one that bypasses the midfield more than most - however, I think we have the players and show the signs (albeit far too rarely) that we can play some really nice stuff on the floor. The bigger problem is how we are setting up in terms of the lack of press, and the application of the low block. That almost requires you to be a long ball team because you just aren't building up the entirety of the pitch every time we get the ball, which is far too often on the edge of our own box. 28 clearances to Wolves' 6. And I believe less than 40% possession and 200 or so less passes.

We need to be more proactive in our desire to win the ball higher up the pitch, to be higher up the pitch in general, and to want to possess the ball more. If we do those things, I am confident that players like Rice, Paqueta and Scamacca can have us perceived more as a pleasant team to watch and not one quite as rudimentary in the build up.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

kitthehammer wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:46 pm Just thought i'd say, but i think we are a much better team with Dawson playing.
I think it gave Rice and Soucek a little more confidence in the middle, so we saw an improvement in both of them.
It also allowed us to play a solid defender in Kehrer at RB, which in turn seemed to give Bowen more confidence and freedom.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Post by MB »

sutts07 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:41 pm That shows the vast majority of our passes were short, to feet, played forwards and in the final two thirds of the pitch.
So one long pass forward followed by a series of shorter passes as I described?

I also have no problem with us going more direct initially if it is done well as we have a real problem progressing the ball out of our own half.

Im just saying I can see why the opposition would think that.

You lot are defensive enough to get a start next to Zouma...
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

As a comparison re the number of passes hit 'long' this weekend;

Newcastle, Brentford and Bournemouth all 54, Chelsea 55, Liverpool 56, Tottenham hit 59, Brighton 61, Leeds 65, Villa 71 and Everton 72

That is a lot of long ball teams in the league by comparison.
MB

Post by MB »

sutts07 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:15 pm As a comparison re the number of passes hit 'long' this weekend;

Newcastle, Brentford and Bournemouth all 54, Chelsea 55, Liverpool 56, Tottenham hit 59, Brighton 61, Leeds 65, Villa 71 and Everton 72

Now as a % of their total passes :winker:
Mullhull
Has liked: 346 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Mullhull »

kitthehammer wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:46 pm Just thought i'd say, but i think we are a much better team with Dawson playing.
Dawson at CB and Kehrer at RB that's what we need in our lives.

Need to really kick on now if I'm honest. I'm glad we have options up top and it's also good for Antonio to be able to rest and not burn out. He's got that ability to come on and just grind down already tired players.

But we really do need to kick on.

Any word on Cornet's injury? I don't want to have to rely on Pablo up there and feel he should be deployed in his correct position as a CAM! rotate with Paqueta
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

MB wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:12 pm So one long pass forward followed by a series of shorter passes as I described?

I also have no problem with us going more direct initially if it is done well as we have a real problem progressing the ball out of our own half.

Im just saying I can see why the opposition would think that.

You lot are defensive enough to get a start next to Zouma...
Defensive because we've seen long ball football with Reid smashing it up to big Andy, or Wimbledon or Watford, the Charles Hughes three passes or less, "Put it in the mixer" route one game, that's long ball football. We don't play that.
As for OV, I think they feel that their 200 pointless sideways passes across midfield a game makes them superior, and to enhance that they add the "Long ball" tag for good measure. For example, would you characterise Rice's forty yard ball to feet for the overlapping full back as a "long pass"? That's a staple of of our build up play these days. Build an overload on the opposite flank with possession sucking in the other teams players and switch it long and wide, Wolves fans think that is long ball football, and you agree with them as far as I can tell.
MB

Post by MB »

And quite a few times we smashed it up to Cornet and Scamacca. That is a long ball and I can see why a Wolves fan would believe us to be a direct team as we have under Moyes tended to bypass the middle of the pitch, which we did a lot at the weekend. We do however rely on the player we are aiming at to bring it down and find our better footballers or, what was actually good to see, we hunted in packs and tried to win it back if we lost the first ball which is a million miles from the examples you give.

I don’t think that automatically makes it route one or even a slur on the good name of West Ham but we are more towards the direct end in our initial build up play. I have no problem with that, done well why wouldn’t you want that as a fan rather than death by a thousand passes?

You can disagree and I’m fine with that, but it is really hard to have a discussion when people post in absolute terms and look to put words in the mouth of other posters. I set out very clear what I meant by long ball and you ignored that and went straight to the extremes.

Whether the Wolves fans meant route one League Two style I don’t know, but I can understand where it comes from even if I think the answer is more subtle than that.
charles_tevez
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by charles_tevez »

I wanted to leave my thoughts on the match. I thought we were brilliant and looked a whole lot more up for it. Night and day! Also, I've always defended Jarrod Bowen because I know what he's capable of--getting in the box, putting the ball on his left, and scoring. Of course he scored the second goal, but I want to talk about the first. He was doing what he does best, vintage Bowen, cutting inside to put himself in dangerous areas. The linkup play with Scamacca was great. And what a finish from him by the way. So a final word, to those who have derogated and dragged our fine winger, guess who has had the last laugh?
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

charles_tevez wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:38 pm So a final word, to those who have derogated and dragged our fine winger, guess who has had the last laugh?
I don't feel bad. Previous to this match, he deserved criticism.
westhamerica
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by westhamerica »

sutts07 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:15 pm As a comparison re the number of passes hit 'long' this weekend;

A fair amount of those are probably diagonal balls, the most in vogue pass.
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 692 likes
Total likes: 1607 likes

Post by chalks »

charles_tevez wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:38 pm And what a finish from him by the way. So a final word, to those who have derogated and dragged our fine winger, guess who has had the last laugh?
Hello Jarrod, welcome to kumb 👍🏻
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1935 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:17 pm I don't feel bad. Previous to this match, he deserved criticism.
He certainly did.

It's difficult to judge as a whole, if this game has 'played him into form' then will it justify not dropping him?

I guess that's a question we'll only know the answer to at the end of the season.
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

This has to be up there with one of the best comments ever on an OV:

"My dog spent 15 minutes of the first half barking at a mushroom growing in the corner of the garden. I wish I’d joined him as the mushroom was less predictable than our play first half."
ironside58
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by ironside58 »

FFS who thinks we should sell Antonio. Imagine waiting until summer 2024 to by a replacement and how knackered Scamacca would be. Only think about when you buy a third striker.