Manuel Pellegrini

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Re: Manuel Pellegrini

Post by Colours never run »

You're putting words in my mouth. Read it again because the words I chose were very specific.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 2945 likes
Total likes: 2607 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Colours never run wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:15 pm You're putting words in my mouth. Read it again because the words I chose were very specific.
Looking at the state the team was in when Pellegrini rightfully got relieved of his duties it seems to be a bit of a stretch to suggest that we would have stayed up pretty easily the same season and would have kicked on, being pretty much "the best of the rest" for the following two seasons, if he would have kept his job and he and his chum Husillos had continued their way of working in a pretty much lacklustre fashion.
GetUrWangOut
Has liked: 76 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by GetUrWangOut »

rigoberts song wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:34 pm Not particularly Anderson had a flurry of games when he looked good.then faded.
Diop had a couple of games and was hyped by Jose.Then has been a walking disaster and rightly sold.
Fabianski has always had a mistake in him.
Fornals has been good for a few seasons but faded the last 6 months.
Ajeti was rubbish
Haller moody and not suited to our system under pellets or Moyes.
Balbuena poor
Sanchez appalling
Roberto even worse
Masuaku a defensive liability
And as for giving sicknote Wiltshire a 3 year year contract .
As I said I'm glad he's ģone and have no interest in his career now only in how Moyes and our current team are progressing.
Think you’re being very harsh on some of those. Anderson had a great first season overall and faded, Fabs has been our best gk in my lifetime, Fornals has been a solid player since he established himself in the team, Balbuena was decent for what we paid and even Diop had his moments and we didn’t really lose much money on him. Haller clearly talented but didn’t fit the system Moyes wanted. Still scored a few goals though. The rest I’ll give you although I though Bilic signed Masuaku but could be wrong.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Colours never run wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:06 pm Embarrassing defeats happen to the best of them. Be it Wenger getting dicked 5-1 in the Cup by Spurs or losing 6-1 and 8-2 by Man United or indeed Ferguson losing 4-0 to our 2nd string in a Cup.
None of these are even remotely comparable to being thumped by Oxford and Wimbledon. It's nonsense to even mention them together like you have done.
Bubbles Fortuna

Double post.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:46 pm None of these are even remotely comparable to being thumped by Oxford and Wimbledon. It's nonsense to even mention them together like you have done.
We got dumped out of the FA CUp by 3rd division Wigan under Moyes tbf in his first spell, without recording a single shot on target, and early in his second spell we got turned over at home by 10 man West Brom from the 2nd Division in the FA Cup

We were also 90 seconds away from teh biggist giant killing in the histoty of the FA Cup only 7 months ago under Moyes

Every club at our level gets subjected to a giant killing now and again
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:46 pm None of these are even remotely comparable to being thumped by Oxford and Wimbledon. It's nonsense to even mention them together like you have done.
An embarrassing defeat, is still an embarrassing defeat. But Crouchend Hammer saved me the trouble of bringing up other examples too with regards to the current manager.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1143 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Pellegrini failed. Bought expensive players who failed. Didn't look anywhere near getting it right unless further £'s were spent. Wrong Manager at wrong club at wrong time. Let's move on.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

He’s a very good coach but the tier below elite. I actually think failing here helped him as it put fire back into his belly. Gave him the motivation to show what he can do again in Spain. Kind of a mirror image of Moyes, as he had something to prove in both spells while MP was a bit complacent.
Colours never run

Nothing wrong with acknowledging how well 1 of our recent former managers is doing since he left us, especially after being accused of looking to retire.

Failed? He wasn't given the chance to succeed with only 18 months in the job and off the back of a good first season in charge.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I could never really take to Pellers. There was just no connection with the fans whatsoever. And whenever he had an interview or press conference I felt like I was going to doze off at some point.

Lovely bloke and nothing personal, but can’t say I miss him.
DusseldorfHammer

Colours never run wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:49 pm Nothing wrong with acknowledging how well 1 of our recent former managers is doing since he left us, especially after being accused of looking to retire.

Failed? He wasn't given the chance to succeed with only 18 months in the job and off the back of a good first season in charge.
If Pellegrini's first season (finishing 10th) was "good", what were those last two under Moyes? (Finishing 6th and 7th + an European semi-final). Exceptional?
Colours never run

It weren't just about finishing 10th, off the back of continual relegation scraps before it under previous managers, it was also about the style of football we were now playing which was very easy on the eye during that 1st season. So on that basis I regarded it as a good one.

Moyes recent seasons have mostly been excellent, but I also believe that Pellegrini could have also achieved that level of football, if not slightly better once he got past the next tricky one which seemed to centre around the Keeper situation. Remember, had Pellegrinis real 1st pick Keeper signing Fabianski (our best Premier League Keeper signing) not picked up a long term injury, then Roberto wouldn't have been so much of an issue. Granted it was a mistake getting him in the first place, but then all managers are, or should be afforded the odd bad signing. But to let that ultimately define Pellegrini is daft in my opinion. It was something that would have eventually been rectified because once it was in the January window, or Fabianskis return, we would have regained that much needed confidence back in the Defence and 1st Team in general.
Bubbles Fortuna

Moyes achieves literally the best back to back league finishes in our history and your response is "Pellegrini would have done better."
Colours never run

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:32 am Moyes achieves literally the best back to back league finishes in our history and your response is "Pellegrini would have done better."
And Pellegrini literally has the record to prove it.
Bubbles Fortuna

Colours never run wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:39 am And Pellegrini literally has the record to prove it.
Not with us he didn't.

Moyes literally has a record of consistent European finishes on a budget, in this country.

Pellegrini took the league leaders and kept them as league leaders, then took the side that Moyes had got into form, spent a fortune and finished lower than Pardew, Curbishley, Zola, Bilic and Moyes have managed.
Colours never run

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:19 pm Not with us he didn't.

He wasn't given the chance too! :lol:

And regardless of what you think of lowly La Liga, I personally regard what he's done over there as outstanding with many of his "lesser" Team Clubs both domestically and in Europe with them.

His record is, as much as you find it hard to accept, is better than Moyes managing top Clubs (Man City-PL, Real Madrid) or with lesser ones (Villareal, Malaga, Real Betis). Not to forget he's also done very well at other Countries Clubs closer to home (Universidad Catolica, Quito, San Lorenzo, River Plate).
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Pell has managed top teams but has little in the way of silverware to show for it. He actually took City backwards after what was a brilliant first season. He got the chop at Madrid after coming up short. His European record with City was pretty poor.

Out of Mancini, Pell and Pep, Manuel is the worst. Mancini turned them into champions and Pep looks likely to finally win that Champions League this season.
DusseldorfHammer

Colours never run wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:38 pm He wasn't given the chance too! :lol:

He had his chance and threw it in the river Thames by signing and actually playing Roberto (one of Husillos' chums) for no reason and pretty much lost the majority of the squad because of it.
Colours never run

Ironing Board wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:57 pm Pell has managed top teams but has little in the way of silverware to show for it. He actually took City backwards after what was a brilliant first season. He got the chop at Madrid after coming up short. His European record with City was pretty poor.

Out of Mancini, Pell and Pep, Manuel is the worst. Mancini turned them into champions and Pep looks likely to finally win that Champions League this season.
****ing hell, have another look at all his record, properly..... :lol: :lol: