⚽ Liverpool 1-0 West Ham Utd (19/10/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 2949 likes
Total likes: 2607 likes

Re: ⚽ Liverpool v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

mickthekeeper wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:45 pm I’m not saying we didn’t have our moments, but I’ve lost count of the times (and not just last night), where we’ve simply turned and played passes sideways or backwards. Last night was no different.

That’s either tactics or confidence
It's about keeping shape. Super important against a high-intensity pressing side like Liverpool.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:47 pm It's about keeping shape. Super important against a high-intensity pressing side like Liverpool.
:newthumb:

As tempting as it is, two teams you don't go gung ho against are Liverpool and City.

It's frustrating, but the right way to play them.
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:38 pm Two wins and two heavy defeats is better than 4 draws!
There's no argument with that, seeing as how goal difference is only worth 1 point
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:28 pm Why are you coming up with 7-0??

That is just an extreme argument for a result that very rarely happens

Anyway, i remember we got beat 4-0 about three times in 98/99, 4-1 and also defo lost games to five and six - we still came 5th!

Footballers get a lift from a win, in the same way they will get pissed off if the lose

Two wins, two heavy defeats = 6 points
four draws = 4 points

which ever way you look at it
Yeah, but such inconsistency is bad in the long run. You need professionalism and a method to make consistent progress over the long haul. You also need to build a strong mentality where you are loathe to lose goals as it can quickly spiral out of control.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

No one asked for us to go "Gun-ho", just to give them a go by at least trying to attack their goal 2 or 3 times before being gifted a penalty in the dying moments of the 1st half. We proved we could do it in the second half, so no reason why we couldn't do it in the first which may have yielded a more positive result and performance overall.
The_Cheadley
Total likes: 1 like

Post by The_Cheadley »

The biggest issue is that our game plan is so clearly stay tight until half time, then go at them in the second half. The amount of times we've been behind at half time this season and chasing the game.........
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Colours never run wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:13 pm No one asked for us to go "Gun-ho", just to give them a go by at least trying to attack their goal 2 or 3 times before being gifted a penalty in the dying moments of the 1st half. We proved we could do it in the second half, so no reason why we couldn't do it in the first which may have yielded a more positive result and performance overall.
The main problem is not that we set up that way against Liverpool (although that is frustrating), is that we do against pretty much everyone, especially away from home
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

The_Cheadley wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:19 pm The biggest issue is that our game plan is so clearly stay tight until half time, then go at them in the second half. The amount of times we've been behind at half time this season and chasing the game.........
Problem with that tactic, other than being a really boring 1st half, is it gives the opposition the opportunity to take the initiative by scoring if they want too early doors. And if you're brave enough to try and score first and succeed, Teams rarely lose going a goal up first and get at least a point or possibly more from it. And it's a real shame, because currently our best asset as a Squad is our Forward play when they're trusted to play with freedom. Instead their game is often stifled and we end up losing by a small margin which some have come to accept as a result. A loss, is still a loss for me and take little pleasure from them. I would however if we at least gave it a real go and not just waiting until the 2nd half.
Colours never run

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:25 pm The main problem is not that we set up that way against Liverpool (although that is frustrating), is that we do against pretty much everyone, especially away from home
Yep and I did stress this in a previous posts about it being a general way of playing against anyone, not just Liverpool. I've lost count the amount of times we've conceded first and mostly in the 1st half before we've started to play.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:25 pm The main problem is not that we set up that way against Liverpool (although that is frustrating), is that we do against pretty much everyone, especially away from home
Thats a fair comment.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Match thread already at 81 pages? That's very high. I didn't think the match was that eventful or had that many talking points compared to some others.
mickthekeeper
Has liked: 179 likes
Total likes: 232 likes

Post by mickthekeeper »

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:47 pm It's about keeping shape. Super important against a high-intensity pressing side like Liverpool.
It wasn’t just last night, we did it against southampton, wolves, Fulham and Everton.

I get you need to keep a shape, but at one point last night we had a break on and for once, Johnson who had advanced down the right wing stopped, turned and we ended up back to zouma 40 yards away.
IronRhino
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by IronRhino »

steveyrockstar wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:36 pm Match thread already at 81 pages? That's very high. I didn't think the match was that eventful or had that many talking points compared to some others.
I think it is more a reflection of the level of fans frustration than anything else. In the second half we outplayed one of the world's best teams in their own back yard and yet again came away with nothing. A point that so easily might have been ours would have left us all feeling chuffed, as it is, we feel flat and are left wondering why we consistently show such a lack of ambition in the first half.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

mickthekeeper wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:54 pm It wasn’t just last night, we did it against southampton, wolves, Fulham and Everton.

I get you need to keep a shape, but at one point last night we had a break on and for once, Johnson who had advanced down the right wing stopped, turned and we ended up back to zouma 40 yards away.

Coufal was the same against Southampton. He'd bomb down the wing and when he was in a great position to cross the ball he'd stop like a learner driver faced with a complicated junction, turn and pass it back to halfway.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Colours never run wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:13 pm No one asked for us to go "Gun-ho", just to give them a go by at least trying to attack their goal 2 or 3 times before being gifted a penalty in the dying moments of the 1st half. We proved we could do it in the second half, so no reason why we couldn't do it in the first which may have yielded a more positive result and performance overall.
If we go gun-ho I imagine we would shoot ourselves in the foot!
Colours never run

Thats why no one's called for it. :eh:
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

mickthekeeper wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:54 pm It wasn’t just last night, we did it against southampton, wolves, Fulham and Everton.

see post in johnson thread!
Tin Hat
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Tin Hat »

Does anyone know if this lad is ok? I’ve seen another video and he’s got a Southern accent, so I presume he’s a West Ham fan. ****ers.
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/li ... s-25313615
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

I’ve not seen anyone suggest we go all out away at Liverpool. It’s once again an example of the extremity of modern society where the concept of a happy medium has dissipated.

Going to Anfield and waiting to lose is as bad as going all out attack. All most people are asking for is a little more purpose and little more attacking intent from the off.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Ironing Board wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:48 pm That's arguable. Heavy defeats tend to have a bad effect on players psychologically.
It’s arguable that 6 points isn’t better than 4? :lol:. It really isn’t, plain and simple. If a team draws 4 in a row, they’ll be talking about a winless run, not the fact they’ve avoided some heavy defeats. To even suggest it’s arguable is stupidity.