⚽ Liverpool 1-0 West Ham Utd (19/10/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Re: ⚽ Liverpool v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by sutts07 »

Thoughts on the game itself... we did really well all things considered. Deserved a point and have proved yet again that we do deserve to be up there in that top 7/8 of the table mixing it with the bigger boys.
  • Kehrer looks to be a much better right back than he is centre back.
  • Fornals offers very little on the left.
  • Downes can keep pace with Premier League players.
  • Declan Rice is one of the best players in the world in his position.
  • We need to find a solid penalty taker (maybe try the striker we just signed who has scored 6/6 to date in his career).
  • Antonio and Scamacca can play up top at the same time and give the opposition a lot more to think about.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

Not much between the teams over 94 mins, the penalty miss aside, the game swung on the two star forwards, ours who had been playing with confidence and looked like he had taken the league in his stride, and theirs whose form had been poor and was struggling to settle reversed roles and that was the key difference.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1790 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

sutts07 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:35 am

Should have won at Forest.
Should have took a point at Chelsea.
Should have won at Southampton.
Should have took a point at Liverpool.

Beginning to look like a trend, isn't it?

Eleven points from eleven games, that's a point a game. Would anyone take thiry eight points now if offered, because unless we change our ways that's what we're looking at.
Grammar-hammer
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Grammar-hammer »

Rocksteady wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:21 am Regarding the first half, I wonder if fans appreciate that Moyes has probably told them to keep it tight until half time. The old mantra of: go toe to toe with a lion, and you’ll never see its tail. Far too many times in the pre Moyes era we tried to go for it, only to be 2+ behind by half time - and morale hit the floor. Moyes first objective: make us hard to beat, and impossible to thrash.

But we do the same thing against teams at the bottom of the league
Been to Anfield once, many years ago. At the time, Liverpool were going through a lean patch and Hammerss were flying and there was lots of media speculation that we might get our first win there for many years. We battered them for the first 10 minutes, then they broke away and scored. We battered them for another 10 minutes then they broke away and scored again. We ended up losing 5-0. Away to the big clubs, going gung-ho from the start nearly always backfires.
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1162 likes
Total likes: 674 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

Rocksteady wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:21 am Regarding the first half, I wonder if fans appreciate that Moyes has probably told them to keep it tight until half time. The old mantra of: go toe to toe with a lion, and you’ll never see its tail. Far too many times in the pre Moyes era we tried to go for it, only to be 2+ behind by half time - and morale hit the floor. Moyes first objective: make us hard to beat, and impossible to thrash.

Hi Rocksteady,

You are correct re same when we play bottom teams. However, in my time as a supporter many a lower team have kicked our ‘rear’. In fact, historically TV often chose us as the most likely venue for a cup upset for example. Moyes would have witnessed that from the outside before joining us.

I think he’s trying to change the club culture for all games, not just top half games. The above objective being every game. IMO, it’s a long term stability platform that an aspiring top four club needs. The alternative might be beating Forest 3-0, but losing to Everton/Newcastle 3-0.

Appreciate it’s all hypothetical, but I guess I’m comfortable with regular steps of progress over big wins and big losses - which can both be entertaining i acknowledge.

Plenty of room for improvement I agree, but keep the baby safe as we let out the bath water🤔

Remember though, I know nothing.
👍
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:45 am Eleven points from eleven games, that's a point a game. Would anyone take thiry eight points now if offered, because unless we change our ways that's what we're looking at.
Equally, seven points from the last four games (alongside four wins out of four in Europe) would suggest we have changed our ways.
That kind of form gets you 66 points.

Obviously the truth sits somewhere between the two. We started poorly and we have wasted some good opportunities to get 'easy points'.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

It's the poor starts we need to sort out . You can't give teMs like Liverpool a head start . We were the betterream for much of the game but a poor start did us

Fab rice downes soucek all played very well

Scamacca stunk the place and should have been off at half time
Uptonogood247
Has liked: 181 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Uptonogood247 »

sutts07 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:41 am Thoughts on the game itself... we did really well all things considered. Deserved a point and have proved yet again that we do deserve to be up there in that top 7/8 of the table mixing it with the bigger boys.
  • We need to find a solid penalty taker (maybe try the striker we just signed who has scored 6/6 to date in his career).
  • Antonio and Scamacca can play up top at the same time and give the opposition a lot more to think about.
100% agree with all of this
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:13 am Colleagues at work, Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Newcastle and Tottenham fans have all said to me that West Ham should have had a point out of that game.

Yet West Ham fans are claiming we were battered :?
Which fans are they? I haven’t read that we were battered by anyone. That’s exaggeration based on some having differing opinions. The main gripe is how cautious we start, especially as we seem to be going a goal down quite frequently anyway. There is no need for Fornals on the left. What Moyes could do though, is use Fornals as a Paqueta replacement and start Benrahma. These are the sorts of things he does do, but not until it’s very late in a game.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 844 likes

Post by mushy »

hammerman11 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:11 pm

Scamacca stunk the place and should have been off at half time
I don't recall Scamacca doing an awful lot wrong in the first half, in fact I don't recall him doing anything much at all apart from.the odd misplaced pass. There was little service to him.
I wouldn't expect any manager to hook their best striker at half time unless there were extenuating circumstances.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

We really got at them last 30 mins.
I can't help but think that task became easier once Tiago and Nunez were off the pitch.

I think Nunez particularly would have caused all sorts of issues with his pace at that point.
ironside58
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by ironside58 »

Takeiteasy wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:09 am We had more clear cut chances than them second half
Not sure of that, only clear cut for me the pen and Soucek at the end. Formino had 2 and Salah the one on one.
Gormalysis
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Gormalysis »

sutts07 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:41 am Thoughts on the game itself... we did really well all things considered. Deserved a point and have proved yet again that we do deserve to be up there in that top 7/8 of the table mixing it with the bigger boys.
Completely agree with this and we should have come away with a point.

Nunez was causing us so much trouble last night, as soon as he came off we started to put a performance together.
thamesideiron
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 197 likes

Post by thamesideiron »

Positive Point...We Could have nicked that maybe,and not to many would have said it would have been the wrong result...
That's a rarity going there...we do seem to be giving them a game in our Moyes Era,despite what some of us are saying,can't deny that.

Dissapointed In GS ,no idea what was going on there...we do have a prob against the top sides in getting our CFs involved,
think he needs a No10 in and around him,we had 3 sitting back MFers Basically,Bowen and Fornals pushing up wide,Paq Plays centre in
closer to him think we see a Different Gianluca.

Fab had a good game,kept us in it first half..and as for Dec,what can you say....outstanding sums it up,when Ally was asked who's MOM,
straight away I went he'll pick Declan.

Poor Subs from Klipperty I thought,was quite happy when saw changes...would have got Micky on after 15 of the second half,Scamma
was struggling was so obvious...Pleased he kept him on tho to play with Mickey tho,Micky had the hump tho when he sent GS thru
wide right and he had a poor shot,the ball was back inside to Micky,but the pair of them together,with Bowen ,Paq in behind,would
scare the **** outta most defences.

Gonna gives us 7/10...Nearly Kept them out first...55% Plus Possession 2nd,thats fair enough..

According to Aluko and a laughing Macmanaman...It's CLEVER to scuff the Penalty spot up when one has been awarded against you...
We'll have to remember that.
Like to have seen the reaction if Zoo had done it,if was other way round..
Comments like that are F.in Embarrassing...does put you in mind of..."one rule for one,one rule for another"
BonzosBoots
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by BonzosBoots »

sutts07 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:35 am Much better second half from us but doesn’t leave me feeling any better about the result. Missed opportunities every week this season.

Should have won at Forest.
Should have took a point at Chelsea.
Should have won at Southampton.
Should have took a point at Liverpool.

That 7 point swing alone would put us 5th or 6th in the table.

Very frustrating.
this.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

As poor as we was in the 1st half after the first 10-15 minutes, had Bowen buried that penalty it could well have been a different story.

It was once again another game of fine margins. Moyes’ game plan would’ve worked a treat if we took our chances.

The only thing I thought Moyes got wrong during the game was not introducing Antonio sooner.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

having said we had a better second half, the game could have been out of sight

Nunez hits the post, hits a volley that Fab tips just over, has a drive saved by Fab, Zouma almost scores an o.g. later on.....had Henderson been a better finisher he scores, and then we blocked a certain goal as well.

Klopp miscalculated and subbed his 3 most influential players which is when we started to really get on top. he thought the game was over and done.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

funky chicken wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:40 pm As poor as we was in the 1st half after the first 10-15 minutes, had Bowen buried that penalty it could well have been a different story.

It was once again another game of fine margins. Moyes’ game plan would’ve worked a treat if we took our chances.

The only thing I thought Moyes got wrong during the game was not introducing Antonio sooner.
Had Bowen scored, we wouldn’t have played the way we did in the 2nd half. We would have carried on like we did in the first half.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

EastleighHammer16 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:46 pm Had Bowen scored, we wouldn’t have played the way we did in the 2nd half. We would have carried on like we did in the first half.
Yes, i think that is exactly bang on
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

EastleighHammer16 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:46 pm Had Bowen scored, we wouldn’t have played the way we did in the 2nd half. We would have carried on like we did in the first half.
Who knows, hindsight is a wonderful thing. Had they attacked us more, it may have equally played into our hands as we do sometimes do better when the opposition have more of the ball. We even won the penalty when they were well on top!

First 10-15 minutes we were fine. Just a little bit wasteful with the ball. Even after the penalty we didn’t do too bad for the remaining minutes of that half. It was the 30-35 minutes in that half when Liverpool really dominated.