⚽ Liverpool 1-0 West Ham Utd (19/10/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Re: ⚽ Liverpool v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Roby »

Got back home this morning after a trip to Anfield which was my first game seen this season. A few thoughts...

Thought we could’ve taken a draw from that.

Rice and Downes were both excellent.

Fabianski has a great game.

We need a new dedicated penalty taker.

Benrahma did well when he came on.

And yes, it is grim up north.
Kermit
Has liked: 94 likes
Total likes: 321 likes

Post by Kermit »

Didn't think we could fault the effort last night although one or two players didn't have the best of games. Scamacca and Fornals, for me, were very disappointing. But imo there are valid reasons. Fornals , at least imo, is being criminally misused. He is not, never has been, and never will be a winger or wing back. He made his name at Villarreal as a central midfield creator, a position in which he was described by no less a judge than Andres Iniesta as "the future". He was good enough to be selected for his country in that position.

As for Scamacca I agree with those who said he was poor but, in fairness, he had no support until Antonio came on. The supply to him from midfield was non existent and of course he was up against a bloke who is widely regarded as the best central defender in the PL

Particular praise imo should go to Fabianski and Rice who were our standouts on the night imo.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Colleagues at work, Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Newcastle and Tottenham fans have all said to me that West Ham should have had a point out of that game.

Yet West Ham fans are claiming we were battered :?
Takeiteasy
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 685 likes

Post by Takeiteasy »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:54 am We are not. It’s just we have much better players now, who when are let loose, cause the opposition all sorts of problems. The issue is this is not happening until we are a goal down or late into the game. I have less of an issue with doing it at Anfield, but I said before hand multiples times that we need to give Alexander-Arnold something to think about and not just let him do what we likes. We also got rinsed down our right, again, as Johnson is not the type to come forward at all. Coufal would’ve been much better and I don’t even think he’s been great at all. I have an issue with when we do it at Everton and Southampton.

Moyes can see what we are capable of. He needs to believe we are capable of doing it from the start.

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying, Martello. A lot of what you’re saying links with what I’ve been saying. I’ve seen us create chances on the counter at Anfield before but rarely have I seen us control the game like I thought we did for the last 30-40 mins.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:13 am Colleagues at work, Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Newcastle and Tottenham fans have all said to me that West Ham should have had a point out of that game.

We gave a good account of ourselves. But we created little if truth be told.
But we have really struggled with end product all season.
The quality at the business end needs to dramatically improve.

Coupled with an injury hit defence and some bad incidents in defence its why we are where we are. We need to be careful a disappointing spell doesn't become a disappointing season.
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

I don't think it was the right game to play Scamacca on his own in, given all of our injuries. Antonio is much better at causing problems as the loan striker IMO. Poor Johnson did look a little out of his depth. Once they scored they dominated the first half, but I thought we played better as the game went on and probably deserved a draw.
But there are lots of positives to take out of last night. We had them on the ropes towards the end. Downes really grew into the game. Fab was brilliant, as was Rice. We were playing one of the top teams and should have taken a draw with most of our first choice defenders and our Brazilian maestro injured. I think we will do better as the season goes on, with players returning from injury and our new signings bedding in.
Last edited by Coops on Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
JLCABA
Has liked: 202 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by JLCABA »

Ilford Paolo wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:08 am With Pac out Fornals would be better central rather than the left wing where his duties as Creswell's carer presumably won't be entrusted to Benrahma or Ant by Moyes, (and Cornet is injured).
All this comes from the historic failure of various managers not to buy another LB, assuming that Moyes doesn't trust his own recent purchase of Emmerson
“ Cresswell’s carer “ ?

Words fail me
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

JLCABA wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:23 am “ Cresswell’s carer “ ?

Words fail me
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Should’ve got something out of that.

Wasn’t ‘unlucky,’ but wasteful.

Seems like a film on loop.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:13 am Colleagues at work, Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Newcastle and Tottenham fans have all said to me that West Ham should have had a point out of that game.
We shouldn't, because you don't get a point if you can't score and can't stop the other team from scoring. Two things we did neither of.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I don't think anyone has said we were 'battered' have they?
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Doc H Ball wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:26 am Should’ve got something out of that.

Wasn’t ‘unlucky,’ but wasteful.

Seems like a film on loop.
How many times this season?

9 goals in 11 games? Hopefully we start firing up front soon.
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1162 likes
Total likes: 674 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

As others have said, opinions appear poles apart and yet we probably watched the same game.

IMO, we played well and gave them a game without our strongest eleven. Salah was kept quite. We had a couple of good/great chances (incl pen). They are serial top three and we gave them a tight game - at Anfield.

Regarding the first half, I wonder if fans appreciate that Moyes has probably told them to keep it tight until half time. The old mantra of: go toe to toe with a lion, and you’ll never see its tail. Far too many times in the pre Moyes era we tried to go for it, only to be 2+ behind by half time - and morale hit the floor. Moyes first objective: make us hard to beat, and impossible to thrash.

The second half was once again a different tactic as we morphed into a new shape and key players encouraged to go forward as play allows.

Even now, we are not strong enough to go toe-to-toe with the top 4 for ninety minutes. We’ve been finishing strong in recent games because of timed tactics that players all understand in advance.

Remember how many missing starters: Auguard, PAC and Dawson, and our bench still had good options compared to other seasons.

We lost 1-0 away to the recent European champions having given them a scare, and had the Amazon POTM (not sure who did sky motm, but hope they didn’t get wet going to school this morning).

Still plenty to keep my glass half full, although the glass keeps getting ‘massive’.
😉🇨🇿🇮🇹🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🇧🇷
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

We start games too cautiously and give sides too much credit.

Why couldn’t we play like we did in the second half in the first half too? We hardly went gung ho, we just showed a bit more ambition which was a decent showing.

It’s frustrating as we still had plenty of chances to even win it, let along get a draw.

I don’t really recall Liverpool troubling us too much, Cresswell’s block as side.

Full backs, particularly the right side, are becoming glaringly obvious as our weak spots.
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1332 likes
Total likes: 751 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

Takeiteasy wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:12 am Either him or Scamacca for me. I know he (Bowen) scored his last one but I still wasn’t confident in him last night.
From what I can gather on the internet Scamacca is 6 from 6 penalties, give him the job.
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

Another soft goal conceded and another terrible penalty.
Rocksteady
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Rocksteady »

Regarding the first half, I wonder if fans appreciate that Moyes has probably told them to keep it tight until half time. The old mantra of: go toe to toe with a lion, and you’ll never see its tail. Far too many times in the pre Moyes era we tried to go for it, only to be 2+ behind by half time - and morale hit the floor. Moyes first objective: make us hard to beat, and impossible to thrash.

But we do the same thing against teams at the bottom of the league
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Big :newthumb: to Amazon prime coverage as well, head guy in the main studio was very good (don't know his name), plus Ally McCoist, for me the best pundit out there. AM always gives me a different perspective on the game/player/tactics, not that I agree on all, even though he is far more experienced and better placed to know than me :D
JLCABA
Has liked: 202 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by JLCABA »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:26 am Big :newthumb: to Amazon prime coverage as well, head guy in the main studio was very good (don't know his name), plus Ally McCoist, for me the best pundit out there. AM always gives me a different perspective on the game/player/tactics, not that I agree on all, even though he is far more experienced and better placed to know than me :D
👍
The likes of Alan Smith might want to listen to a McCoist co commentary sometime
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Much better second half from us but doesn’t leave me feeling any better about the result. Missed opportunities every week this season.

Should have won at Forest.
Should have took a point at Chelsea.
Should have won at Southampton.
Should have took a point at Liverpool.

That 7 point swing alone would put us 5th or 6th in the table.

Very frustrating.