⚽ Liverpool 1-0 West Ham Utd (19/10/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

⚽ Liverpool 1-0 West Ham Utd (19/10/22)

Post by Shabu »

Wednesday sees us travel to the Peoples Republic of Liverpool to play everybody's 2nd favourite team. Kick off at 19:30.

They have started the season poorly by their standards but just beaten the unbeatable Man Citeh as well as keeping the best ever striker quiet.

And we're going to smash 'em. 1-4 to the Mighty Hammers with Antonio grabbing a brace.

Not naming the team now but I'll have a ponder & decide on Tuesday.

Up the Hammers

S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: Liverpool v West ham United - Match Thread

Post by S-H »

This and the other Premier League games, are being shown on Prime video.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

We need to start quick and not let them settle into the game. First goal wins.
S-H wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:28 pm This and the other Premier League games, are being shown on Prime video.
Hopefully Ally McCoist does our game
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

jastons wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:49 pm We need to start quick and not let them settle into the game. First goal wins.
Bloody hell, I can never keep track of all these rule changes.
Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

Shabu wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:56 pm Bloody hell, I can never keep track of all these rule changes.
Says the man who's predicting the score before he names his side. :grin:
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Play as well as we have done in the last 3 seasons we’ve gone to Anfield, only this time don’t bottle the chances you get to score, and we can pick up something in this game.

They have completely mugged us at that ground for 3 years straight. What cost us not picking up at least a point in those games was us not taking our chances when presented to us. How the hell we didn’t score there last season I still don’t know.

As long as our defenders are back for this one, I have a feeling we may pick up a shock point.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Pete647580 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:57 pm Says the man who's predicting the score before he names his side. :grin:
daytimedave
Has liked: 273 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by daytimedave »

i dont fancy our chances one bit ..... 3-0
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Failing to beat Southampton today means if we lose to Liverpool we’ll be dropping back down to 14th-16th, which will put us under a lot of pressure to beat Bournemouth.

Hopefully we have two proper centre halves back to at least give us a chance. I’d then play Kehrer right back, bring Downes in and I’d consider playing Fornals instead of Paqueta who shouldn’t be a guaranteed starter.

That being said we don’t look like a team capable of getting a result away at Anfield, especially if we play a negative 5 at the back.
Last edited by stu1 on Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

Shabu wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:18 pm Image
Fair!
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Almost certainly this will be a five at the back and Rice and Soucek

The front three will be Fornals, Antonio and Bowen

We will not go there and play like Brighton did

Liverpool 2 West Ham 0
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:41 pm Almost certainly this will be a five at the back and Rice and Soucek

The front three will be Fornals, Antonio and Bowen

We will not go there and play like Brighton did

Liverpool 2 West Ham 0
We can't play like Brighton. I think we are building to use the ball better but we aren't in a position to flick a switch and play like them away at Liverpool.
Certainly a game to try and counter them, hopefully Antonio will be able to cause TAA problems by drifting out to the left.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

I think we need some defenders back to full fitness to have any chance in this. Hopefully Ogbonna, Zouma, Dawson and Alexander-Arnold show well in training this week.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

I hope Alexander-Arnold is out personally, unless we plan to use Antonio there or something. Otherwise we won’t test him on that side and he’ll be able to get forward, which is asking for trouble. We got at him last time from a set piece, which we aren’t as strong as we used to be for whatever reason.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

LeonRivers wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:03 pm I think we need some defenders back to full fitness to have any chance in this. Hopefully Ogbonna, Zouma, Dawson and Alexander-Arnold show well in training this week.
:crylol: :newthumb:
Crouchend_Hammer

El brooko79 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:51 pm We can't play like Brighton. I think we are building to use the ball better but we aren't in a position to flick a switch and play like them away at Liverpool.
Certainly a game to try and counter them, hopefully Antonio will be able to cause TAA problems by drifting out to the left.
Why can't we play like Brighton out of interest? Do you think they have better players than us?

I don't think Brighton are particularly good btw but they always seem to try and play on the front foot and take the game.to the opposition, whoever it might be
El brooko79

Post by El brooko79 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:26 pm Why can't we play like Brighton out of interest? Do you think they have better players than us?

I don't think Brighton are particularly good btw but they always seem to try and play on the front foot and take the game.to the opposition, whoever it might be
Because as well as we have done over the last 2 years it's been very specific style of football. Well drilled deep unit attacking into space.

I believe the manager identified we need to play with the ball more and sighed players to evolve our style. But it doesn't happen overnight.

Brighton on the other hand have been playing that way for 3 years. Last season averaged 4th highest possession in the league. It takes time.

I also think it's a style of play that has to involve all 11 players and currently, particularly with injuries we have some players that cannot use the ball when pressed. We also still lack pace at the back.

Coming onto Liverpool and leaving space in behind with Cresswell, Dawson, Coufal will be a disaster. Expecting Soucek, Coufal, Zouma, Dawson, Johnson to pass it around with a Liverpool press will be a disaster also.

Hopefully when Paqueta is up to the pace. Scamacca is settled. Downes is in. Our defence has Kehrer settled at RB, Aguerd is in the team etc it will evolve more quickly.

So I don't think we can play like Brighton currently. But we can still look to cause Liverpool problems like we did at Anfield last season. That for me is inviting them on and attacking space. Nothing glorious about charging at Liverpool and giving them space to exploit.
Pob!
Has liked: 1017 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by Pob! »

7-1 to us Klopp gets the tin tac and the victims get relegated with only 15 points :scarfer:
Crouchend_Hammer

El brooko79 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:43 pm

Because as well as we have done over the last 2 years it's been very specific style of football. Well drilled deep unit attacking into space.

I believe the manager identified we need to play with the ball more and sighed players to evolve our style. But it doesn't happen overnight.

Brighton on the other hand have been playing that way for 3 years. Last season averaged 4th highest possession in the league. It takes time.

I also think it's a style of play that has to involve all 11 players and currently, particularly with injuries we have some players that cannot use the ball when pressed. We also still lack pace at the back.

Coming onto Liverpool and leaving space in behind with Cresswell, Dawson, Coufal will be a disaster. Expecting Soucek, Coufal, Zouma, Dawson, Johnson to pass it around with a Liverpool press will be a disaster also.

Hopefully when Paqueta is up to the pace. Scamacca is settled. Downes is in. Our defence has Kehrer settled at RB, Aguerd is in the team etc it will evolve more quickly.

So I don't think we can play like Brighton currently. But we can still look to cause Liverpool problems like we did at Anfield last season. That for me is inviting them on and attacking space. Nothing glorious about charging at Liverpool and giving them space to exploit.
Moyes has never set his teams ro play like play like in his entire career
What makes you think he will evolve now qnd change?
El brooko79

Post by El brooko79 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:48 pm Moyes has never set his teams ro play like play like in his entire career
What makes you think he will evolve now qnd change?
Because the players he bought in the summer are ones that use the ball and he said that's what we needed.

I have no problem with the way we played last 2 years, it's on the whole it's given me more happy moments than in a long time.
If he had just bought similar but younger fresher players I would accept it. Ie a 25 year old Antonio.

But he didn't. If we try to play Scamacca and Paqueta with 35% possession most games and Kehrer as a penalty box defender we will have a problem and he will rightly lose his job.

We had what 60% today but just weren't good enough with final ball and finishing.

It still doesn't change the fact that I think away to Liverpool as we are now is not a game to go toe to toe with possession and leave space. It's still always going to be horses for courses.