⚽ West Ham Utd 2-0 AFC Bournemouth (24/10/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1453 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United vs AFC Bournemouth: match thread

Post by Turns to Stone »

I think we did have a fair go, what was lacking was the final ball. Quite often, Cresswell was on the overlap and had the chance to cross, often Benrahma had the ball in the inside left position with runners ahead of him, quite often Rice and Downes had the ball in promising positions with runners going right and left, and quite often Johnson had the ball on the right hand-side with the time to cross the ball.

For whetever reason, on very few of those occasions were we able to create a decent chance. That could because Bournemouth defended really well, but my view is that our confidence is low and too often players either made the wrong choice, or their final ball was lacking.

Benrhama played well, but at the same time, he had the ball over and over again on the left hand side (particularly in the second half), and can't really remember him wither testing the keeper with a shot or creating a decent chance for another player. That's the story of last night. Lots of posession, pretty solid, poor in the final third.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

fjthegrey wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:51 pm Turns out that I'm an unrealistic, ungrateful fantasist!

I think I'll just go back to being quiet.
I think that hardly likely 😉
Takeiteasy
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 685 likes

Post by Takeiteasy »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:59 pm I have never once said we did not create more than Bournemouth
No one said or even implied that you did :?
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Up the Junction wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:38 pm

If you believe you've been short-changed by West Ham since the beginning of the 2021/22 season, then your demands are entirely unreasonable and fail to take into account the reality of the club's position.
I don't think I have been short changed by West Ham since the beginning of 2021/22 in terms of what we have achieved in our results or progress in european compeition. I have never said that, and don't know why you would think that i feel short-changed. I could never feel short-changed by West Ham, whatever they did or didn't do

Do i think we can play 'better' (what I personally think is 'better' might be different to others), more attacking, more progressive, more possession based, more dynamic and less cautious and pragmatic football? Yes, i do
woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

Estuary wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:47 pm My point isn't about Soucek Woodford, it's about thinking that there is better out there if the manager would just do what I imagine will work. (the last three words is the key to my point and the source of constant frustration at our support)
Make you 100% right on the constant source of frustration thing, but i think that's football in general. Everyone knows the answers, but only one person can be the manager. Personally, i think Moyes has done an outstanding job.

Last nights was a game we'd have lost 3 seasons back .... just think of it

Live on Sky
Against a lower premier club
Raining
Monday
Stadium announcer acknowledging that that we're on a 5 in a row Monday night winning streak
We really needed a win
makeshift defence

All Bournemouth needed was a striker on a 2 year goal drought and they could've pulled it off

That said, stand by my thought on Tomas, i really rate the guy but he looks a shadow of the player that many thought of as a HOTY contender since his arrival
Pob!
Has liked: 1017 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by Pob! »

BobbyMooreLower wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:30 pm I am 100% sure that if Tomas Soucek's name was Tommy Smith from Essex & Flynn Downes was called Flynov Downev from Eastern Europe then people would not be calling for the former to be dropped for the latter.

Being a 'local lad' does absolute wonders to your reputations among certain fans.
The same reason Mark Noble was allowed to get by being a bang average footballer yet held up on a pedestal like some sort of footballing god all because he came from Canning Town!!
Crouchend_Hammer

Takeiteasy wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:04 pm No one said or even implied that you did :?
Well, the poster replied to my post with a sarcastic comment detailing the XG for both sides...
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 643 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Turns to Stone wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:00 pm I think we did have a fair go, what was lacking was the final ball. Quite often, Cresswell was on the overlap and had the chance to cross, often Benrahma had the ball in the inside left position with runners ahead of him, quite often Rice and Downes had the ball in promising positions with runners going right and left, and quite often Johnson had the ball on the right hand-side with the time to cross the ball.

For whetever reason, on very few of those occasions were we able to create a decent chance. That could because Bournemouth defended really well, but my view is that our confidence is low and too often players either made the wrong choice, or their final ball was lacking.

Benrhama played well, but at the same time, he had the ball over and over again on the left hand side (particularly in the second half), and can't really remember him wither testing the keeper with a shot or creating a decent chance for another player. That's the story of last night. Lots of posession, pretty solid, poor in the final third.
This was my impression as well and why the "what chances did we create" conversation is a bit of a red herring.

The plan was clearly to avoid trying to pick through the middle of the pitch where Bournemouth were denying any space and to create situations where we outnumbered them out wide. Generally it worked up to the point where a player had to make the right decision and execute well. Too many poor attempts to pick someone out, delayed passed, shots hit straight at a defender. The first two in particular were also heavily evident against Liverpool.
Captain Corelli
Has liked: 162 likes
Total likes: 87 likes

Post by Captain Corelli »

billtho wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:58 pm Not seen much of Ashby but what what I have seen I have liked..Johnson has had enough chances to secure a first team spot but he is out of his depth..let him have his free transfer to a championship club.No I am not a coach but neither are you.
I agree Biltho. Ashby has looked the business each time I have seen him.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

stu1 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:53 pmCurrently our only wins in the league have came against toothless teams...
They're all Premier League teams, all very capable on their day.

10 points taken from the last possible 15 in the league. The only defeat coming against Liverpool away, due to a missed penalty, where WHU have won once since 1963, and the other points were dropped at St Mary's where the current league leaders also failed to win.
stu1 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:53 pmIf we want to finish top 7 then we need to perk up quickly...
May I refer you to my comment above.
Crouchend_Hammer

Diogenes wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:44 pm And yet all the talk on this forum, pre match, was about it being a 'must win', 'pivotal', 'season defining' etc. let alone Moyes being just 2 games from the chop. For the club and Moyes the result WAS all that mattered. Of course I would like to see us playing like Brazil every game, but Im a realistic West Ham old timer moving away from that relegation zone has to be the priority. Ask all the sacked Managers this year whether Artistic Merit or points on the board is important.
for the manager and the players I am sure the result was all that mattered. And fair enough.

that doesn't mean it is all that matters to all of the fans
Takeiteasy
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 685 likes

Post by Takeiteasy »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:08 pm Well, the poster replied to my post with a sarcastic comment detailing the XG for both sides...
Yep, no one said or implied that you said that "we did not create more than Bournemouth"
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

Turns to Stone wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:00 pm I think we did have a fair go, what was lacking was the final ball. Quite often, Cresswell was on the overlap and had the chance to cross, often Benrahma had the ball in the inside left position with runners ahead of him, quite often Rice and Downes had the ball in promising positions with runners going right and left, and quite often Johnson had the ball on the right hand-side with the time to cross the ball.

They never had less than nine players in their penalty area when we were attacking, and even when they had the ball they didn't commit many beyond the player with the ball. They parked the bus at the kick off whistle and it stayed parked for 94 mins. Their defenders got in block after block after desperate block, only when the guy handballed it on 90mins did we get the break of the block in our favour, even our other goal game from a corner in which the ball had gone through two phases of play, Bournemouth really rode their luck, in other games the ball ricochets off the block to a west Ham player, or goes in the net after skimming off a defender and wrong footing the goalie. Last night neither of those things happened, the second ball after the block fell favourably to Bournemouth as they had the numbers back.
It was a rehearsed tactic, don't give West Ham any space within the penalty box lines, they can have it deep and out wide, we'll defend the first ball for our lives in the box and see where that takes us.
Last edited by Estuary on Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 927 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Back in the day we would have lost this game and would have been far more stuck in a relegation fight.

Now, we have a larger and better balanced squad, so could still challenge and win the game. It wasn’t attractive, players seem to be lacking in confidence at times (maybe the bigger squad is creating a perceived threat to places in the team?) and we appear to lose our mojo at times.

If we can win with these constraints against a side who clearly were set up to nick a win against the run of play, then things will come good. The win will bolster the confidence, 10/15 points in the last 5 games, players will get used to each other and in some cases get used to the PL.

As I say, it wasn’t pretty but we stuck in and got the result.
Crouchend_Hammer

Pete on the Moyes thread posted something which to me, sums up the entire discussion perfectly...

"It's Cavaliers v Roundheads. I guess we all learn towards one or the other. I value hard work, discipline, good organisation. Others place more priority on skill and flair.

Moyes seems to me to be pretty Roundhead, and the players he trusts probably are too"

I don't think those who really rate Moyes and are more accepting of his pragmatic style are wrong - it is just a different opinion to mine
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I do miss our swashbuckling counter attacks, breaking away at pace, in a Mighty Ducks style flying 'V'.. there were times last night that I thought we might burst into life in that regard, but for one reason or another the ball just wasn't sticking.
The Boys from the Boleyn
Has liked: 71 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by The Boys from the Boleyn »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:08 pm Well, the poster replied to my post with a sarcastic comment detailing the XG for both sides...
You said we barely created any chances and then disagreed with all attempts to try to highlight those chances.

So I provided an objective metric that accumulates chances for both sides, which suggests we did actually create a pretty good amount of decent chances (as well as restricting Bournemouth to very few) and that our 2-0 win was justified.
Crouchend_Hammer

Estuary wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:13 pm They never had less than nine players in their penalty area when we were attacking, and even when they had the ball they didn't commit many beyond the player with the ball. They parked the bus at the kick off whistle and it stayed parked for 94 mins. Their defenders got in block after block after desperate block, only when the guy handballed it on 90mins did we get the break of the block in our favour, even our other goal game from a corner in which the ball had gone through two phases of play, Bournemouth really rode their luck, in other games the ball ricochets off the block to a west Ham player, or goes in the net after skimming off a defender and wrong footing the goalie. Last night neither of those things happened, the second ball after the block fell favourably to Bournemouth as they had the numbers back.
It was a rehearsed tactic, don't give West Ham any space within the penalty box lines, they can have it deep and out wide, we'll defend the first ball for our lives in the box and see where that takes us.
All true
But when you are playing against a team who will park the bus the best way to create chances is to make sure you have more attacking players on the pitch who have the tools to unlock them, and play in a way to achieve that - not play three defensive orientated midfielders (one who who can't pass water) or two full backs who are not the most comfortable on the ball, or have your wide forwards hug the touchline - and then have 90% of your attacking play getting the ball wide and crossing
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:16 pm Pete on the Moyes thread posted something which to me, sums up the entire discussion perfectly...

"It's Cavaliers v Roundheads. I guess we all learn towards one or the other. I value hard work, discipline, good organisation. Others place more priority on skill and flair.

Moyes seems to me to be pretty Roundhead, and the players he trusts probably are too"

I don't think those who really rate Moyes and are more accepting of his pragmatic style are wrong - it is just a different opinion to mine
It's rubbish, those two things are not mutually exclusive, nor is Moyes a purely pragmatic coach.
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 367 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

The Boys from the Boleyn wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:21 pm You said we barely created any chances and then disagreed with all attempts to try to highlight those chances.

So I provided an objective metric that accumulates chances for both sides, which suggests we did actually create a pretty good amount of decent chances (as well as restricting Bournemouth to very few) and that our 2-0 win was justified.
I'm pretty sure about 0.8 of that xG is down to the penalty