⚽ West Ham Utd 2-0 AFC Bournemouth (24/10/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United vs AFC Bournemouth: match thread

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Off topic but going back to the XG discussion, i was looking at the Fulham game and when Socammaca had his second good chance with the header from Cresswell's cross, this got an XG of 0.3 but the rebound that fell to Bowen got an XG of a whopping 0.96!

The chance for Bowen was pretty difficult given the keeper was right on it, so makes no sense it was deemed as almost certain to score whilst the initial header was only 0.3
Takeiteasy
Has liked: 2071 likes
Total likes: 689 likes

Post by Takeiteasy »

Don’t take it as gospel. It’s generally a pretty good indicator but isn’t always spot on.
stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by stu1 »

Up the Junction wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:21 pm There's a common denominator there you're failing to acknowledge.

I wish that common denominator was that we had played well, instead it seems to me we were just not as poor as the opposition.
Up the Junction wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:21 pm Your comment to which I was replying regarded those teams we've beaten this season ie in the last five league matches, not the club's performance in the last calendar year.

I didn't answer as it wasn't relevant to the thread, but as you're insisting on a response I'll provide you with one.

Like Anfield, I'm rarely confident when WHU play at Old Trafford. I'm 50/50 where Leicester are concerned and confident against Palace.

Though what happened last night has little, if any bearing on any of that.
Ok fair enough. I find myself in the strange position of feeling less confident of future results even after a win, for the reasons I've mentioned previously. Hopefully I'm prove wrong but for me our performances must improve if we are to roach the 20 point mark by the interval.
Crouchend_Hammer

Last edited by Crouchend_Hammer on Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crouchend_Hammer

Takeiteasy wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:38 pm Don’t take it as gospel. It’s generally a pretty good indicator but isn’t always spot on.

I won't, i rarely take any notice of it, but I had some time this afternoon so was doing a bit of digging around

The really silly bit is for that passage of play the XG was 1.26 as they include both the initial header and the follow-up (which, of course, makes no sense!) as were thus more than certain to score!
Last edited by Crouchend_Hammer on Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mullhull
Has liked: 332 likes
Total likes: 269 likes

Post by Mullhull »

billtho wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:58 pm Not seen much of Ashby but what what I have seen I have liked..Johnson has had enough chances to secure a first team spot but he is out of his depth..let him have his free transfer to a championship club.No I am not a coach but neither are you.
What a ridiculous retort :crylol: I didn't claim to be a coach, I'm not the one making claims that a player is better than another based on literally 5 minutes of seeing someone play football.

Johnson is a weak link for us at times, Kehrer is our RB for sure.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 762 likes
Total likes: 3495 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

stu1 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:39 pmI wish that common denominator was that we had played well, instead it seems to me we were just not as poor as the opposition.
You're still refusing to give West Ham and Moyes any credit.

There's a reason Bournemouth lost, saw much less of the ball and failed to trouble Fabianski - and it wasn't just because they were "poor".
The Boys from the Boleyn
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by The Boys from the Boleyn »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:28 pm FWIW i think XG is a load of baloney but...

The XG is made up of 0.76 for the penalty and 0.53 for the Zouma goal. The next best XG incident we have a score of 0.08, which was Flynn downes blocked shot

An XG below 0.1 is pretty low and we did not have any above 0.1 except the goals

(as an aside Bournemouth had one at 0.49 and one at 0.12)

I am not denying we didn't deserve to win, nor that we resticted Bournemout. but the XG analysis actually shows we didn't create many chances of note
I don't want to go down the rabbit hole on this but you originally were saying we didn't create any chances in the match.

You can argue about how xG ranks the chances (I definitely agree that it needs to be taken with a pinch of salt) but it at least surely does show that we did create a decent amount in the game.
Takeiteasy

Post by Takeiteasy »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:40 pm I won't, i rarely take any notice of it, but I had some time this afternoon so was doing a bit of digging around

The really silly bit is for that passage of play the XG was 1.26 as they include both the initial header and the follow-up (which, of course, makes no sense!) as were thus more than certain to score!
It’s because they were two separate chances/efforts on goal.
Crouchend_Hammer

Yes of course, but if Scammaca scores then Bowen can't have his chance!

So really we are getting on over-inflated score for taht particular 'chance'

i remember the same happened in another game, someone had a chance that was saved and maybe Antonio scored the reboung and both figs were included in the Xg!
Takeiteasy

Post by Takeiteasy »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:01 pm Yes of course, but if Scammaca scores then Bowen can't have his chance!

So really we are getting on over-inflated score for taht particular 'chance'

i remember the same happened in another game, someone had a chance that was saved and maybe Antonio scored the reboung and both figs were included in the Xg!
You’re really going out your way to be awkward here. It’s a simple concept and you’re over-complicating it, I think, to try and further the agenda you’ve pushed recently. It’s proper tedious.
Crouchend_Hammer

Takeiteasy wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:09 pm You’re really going out your way to be awkward here. It’s a simple concept and you’re over-complicating it, I think, to try and further the agenda you’ve pushed recently. It’s proper tedious.
An 'agenda' - yeah ok

And regarding this point I am merely talking about the odd Quirks of XG from the data I have looked at as I have really analysed it before.
Nothing to do with West Ham. I was simply using that data as an example as i haven't looked at other teams.

Double counting rebouhds from the same move just doesn't make much sense to me as they can't both happen

Not sure why that is being 'awkward'
JLCABA
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 157 likes

Post by JLCABA »

I thought the penalty was a carbon copy of the one we got last season v Red Mancs at about the same time in the game

On both occasions I guessed the results of the ensuing penalty correctly
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

Has anybody got a link to highlights?
It was very difficult to see the handball for the penalty from where I was sat.
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2391 likes

Post by Ozza »

I must have been watching a different West Ham over the last few seasons, we’ve played some exceptional football, some of the best I’ve seen us play, and in a sustained manner rather than just a glimpse.

It’s clear the club is in transitional period, with a large amount of change, and we’ve impacted by injuries to serious players brought in by the manager to also transform the way we play.

I struggle to understand why people can’t see the above.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9646 likes

Post by S-H »

Coops wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:16 pm Has anybody got a link to highlights?
It was very difficult to see the handball for the penalty from where I was sat.
Here you go..

:twisted:

Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1990 likes
Total likes: 4737 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Moyes' team selection would never have been right.

He's been criticised for playing his favourites even though they're out of form - Coufal, Fornals, Lanzini.

He's been criticised for not playing Downes and Benrahma.

Now there's posters saying Coufal and Fornals should have started, but if they did it would have been. "Why Fornals again?!"

Imagine if he'd started Fornals over Downes and Coufal and we'd lost! Carnage.

Soucek still getting lots of stick on here, he assisted the opening goal!

Bournemouth are a big, strong side. They'd only lost once under O'Neill and that was only by one goal, they drew to Newcastle and beat flavour of the month Brentford. But apparently they're rubbish, we made them look rubbish.
DublinDave
Has liked: 2756 likes
Total likes: 1783 likes

Post by DublinDave »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:40 pm An 'agenda' - yeah ok

And regarding this point I am merely talking about the odd Quirks of XG from the data I have looked at as I have really analysed it before.
Nothing to do with West Ham. I was simply using that data as an example as i haven't looked at other teams.

Double counting rebouhds from the same move just doesn't make much sense to me as they can't both happen

Not sure why that is being 'awkward'
On this point I agree with you completely CH.
Xg is just another "Americanism" that is infecting the game we all love.
Football isn't Baseball, every minute action doesn't need to be quantified, debated over in pubs & forums is where we dilute the finer details.
If we ever get to 14 American owners of PL teams there will be no need for a super league as they will vote their own closed shop a la NFL. NFL teams move cities with no care or consideration for fan protests, they only see the dollar bills.
Possibly why Juve, Real & Barca are pushing to get their version in first.
Slippery slope...

Back to Moyes, Stick..!
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Watched the full 90 minutes today and am utterly bewildered at all the negativity. We dominated.
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

S-H wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:49 pm Here you go..

:twisted:

Definitely a penalty, I don't know what they are moaning about.