The Sunak Government 2022-

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1408 likes

Re: The Sunak Government 2022-

Post by YorksHammer »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:29 pm So 430k. That's more than the average worker I would bet
So 22%. That's less than anybody earning £52,000 a year or more paid.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 562 likes
Total likes: 921 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Very hard to defend taxing income (gains) made in a suit at less than half the rate of income earned in overalls.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:19 pm 430k
You knew Prob was talking about percentages.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 308 likes
Total likes: 1079 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

YorksHammer wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:46 pm So 22%. That's less than anybody earning £52,000 a year or more paid.
Because it's not income tax
SammyLeeWasOffside

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:38 pm You knew Prob was talking about percentages.
Which one can you buy more with.

He said paid less tax which is not true. Percentage wise his income tax rate was 37% so comparative % wise it's not true either.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:24 am Which one can you buy more with.

He said paid less tax which is not true. Percentage wise his income tax rate was 37% so comparative % wise it's not true either.
You know full well what he meant. You’re dancing on the head of a pin by picking up on his phraseology. And to ‘prove’ what, because do you think it’s a good look for someone of Sunak’s means to pay a smaller percentage in tax than the average punter does? Especially when he voted for the legislation that enabled that to be the case? A yes or no would be good Sam.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 481 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:51 am A yes or no would be good Sam.
I disagree.

For someone like me (who might not understand the nuances of taxation), it’s good to get the bigger picture rather than binary yes/no answers. I might not agree with what is being said, but it is good to read it and the thinking behind the answer.
SammyLeeWasOffside

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:51 am You know full well what he meant. You’re dancing on the head of a pin by picking up on his phraseology. And to ‘prove’ what, because do you think it’s a good look for someone of Sunak’s means to pay a smaller percentage in tax than the average punter does? Especially when he voted for the legislation that enabled that to be the case? A yes or no would be good Sam.
He paid 37% income tax so he doesn't pay a smaller %. He paid the same rate of CGT as anyone would, so he doesn't pay a smaller %. His chancellor has raised the amount of CGT people pay. Not really sure what it is that's the problem.

He hasn't avoided or evaded the tax, people are actually annoyed he paid 430,000 in one year? He will be getting stick for using his money to not use up NHS resources next.

The phraseology is misleading, I would say deliberately so.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 562 likes
Total likes: 921 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Caught some of Question Time this evening, the thin-lipped Tory nobody they stuck on got absolutely mullered by the audience.

First time I’ve thought it’s really all over for this lot.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

How the hell is Braverman's Home Office managing to be an even more constant source of embarrassment than Patel's version? It's almost impressive.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... dApp_Other
Nepalese security guards who protected British embassy staff in Afghanistan, and who were airlifted to safety in the UK in August 2021, are now in detention and facing deportation.

Thirteen security guards – 11 Nepalese and two Indian – were brought to the UK as Kabul fell to the Taliban. Some were granted indefinite leave to remain while others have been awaiting decisions.

One of the guards, Bam Bahadur Gurung, a 37-year-old Nepalese national, worked in Afghanistan for more than a decade, first as a security guard and later as a supervising guard at the British and Canadian embassies in Kabul.

He received confirmation on 17 February 2022 that his application for permanent immigration status in the UK had progressed and biometrics were being arranged so his application could be progressed as quickly as possible. However, in June 2022 he received an email from the government’s Afghan Resettlement Team saying that his evacuation had been “a gesture of goodwill” and that he was not deemed eligible to stay in the UK as part of the Afghan Citizens Resettlement Scheme.

On 27 March 2023 Gurung was among the group rounded up by the Home Office, then arrested and detained.

“I was getting ready for work when I was arrested. I am in a state of shock and am very sad about what the UK has done to me,” he said, speaking from Brook House immigration removal centre near Gatwick airport. “I helped to protect British embassy staff in Kabul for many years. None of us have criminal records. My dream is to remain in the UK and serve in the British army.”

He said that some of the group had been told by Home Office officials they would be forcibly removed from the UK on 11 April.

While there have been cases of people who helped the British government in Afghanistan being forced into hiding because the UK has not evacuated them, these are thought to be the first cases in which people airlifted to safety and started on the path to resettlement in the UK have had their leave to remain cancelled.

Before working in Afghanistan, Gurung was a soldier in the Nepalese military and also worked in Iraq. In Afghanistan he was employed by an external security company and lived in the same compound as British and Canadian staff. Some of his colleagues were killed in a direct attack on security guards in June 2016 by a Taliban suicide bomber who killed 13 Nepalese and two Indian security guards.

After his evacuation Gurung was given hotel accommodation in London, eventually settling in a hotel in Fulham alongside 150 people evacuated under the Afghan Citizens Resettlement Scheme.

Until his arrest and detention he was working at this hotel, receiving a salary and paying UK taxes. He was given an employee of the month award in March.

At least two of those rounded up and detained had been granted indefinite leave to remain by the government.

Jamie Bell of Duncan Lewis solicitors, who is representing Gurung and another Nepalese man in the same situation, said: “These men risked their lives working to protect the British embassy in Kabul. They were lawfully evacuated to the UK and were led to believe that they were to be granted permanent residence in the UK. Instead, after being allowed to build a life in the UK, they have been betrayed and detained. Those responsible should be ashamed of how they have been treated.”

A government spokesperson said: “We remain committed to providing protection for vulnerable and at-risk people fleeing Afghanistan and so far have brought around 24,500 people impacted by the situation back to the UK.”
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:18 pm How the hell is Braverman's Home Office managing to be an even more constant source of embarrassment than Patel's version? It's almost impressive.
told by Home Office officials they would be forcibly removed from the UK on 11 April.

Makes me feel sick seeing how poorly we treat our people. :thumbdn:
SammyLeeWasOffside

Don't get me wrong the guy should be allowed to stay for his service but is Nepal a country people can't go home to for some reason?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4377 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:44 pm Don't get me wrong the guy should be allowed to stay for his service
The Guardian have used a neat form of words to keep that info concealed by lumping his previous job in so it's totally unclear how much 'service' this fella provided to us.

"In Afghanistan he was employed by an external security company".

Sounds like a gun for hire rather than some put upon Gurkha who'd spent 20 years in the British Army.
delbert
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:18 pm How the hell is Braverman's Home Office managing to be an even more constant source of embarrassment than Patel's version? It's almost impressive.
Putting this case, and the holes in it, to one side for a moment.
The reason could be that when someone comes in and tries to get some of the Civil Servants in the Home Office to do the jobs they're paid to do they start blubbing about being bullied.
Taking that further, if their union doesn't agree with government policy they mount a legal challenge thus putting their own politics well and truly above their impartiality.
That's at least partly why the Home Office is a basket case of NHS proportions........
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Prob »

Why are Tory MPs and councillors dropping the fact they belong to the Conservative Party on their social media profiles 🤔. Are they ashamed or something

Interesting as well none are not using Tory branding and even the background colour of all their literature is green.

That is good for her. Yet they refuse to pay teachers, nhs workers, civil servants, the armed forces a decent wage
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:57 pm The Guardian have used a neat form of words to keep that info concealed by lumping his previous job in so it's totally unclear how much 'service' this fella provided to us.

"In Afghanistan he was employed by an external security company".

Sounds like a gun for hire rather than some put upon Gurkha who'd spent 20 years in the British Army.
Possibly, but 'gun for hire'? that's as clever as the Guardian's use of words.

Many of the embassies (British) have contracted security, very few are based on the American model of having marines/army undertake security detail (if not all). And you'd want to have some Ghurkhas/Nepalese elements if it was possible, that's a no-brainer.

Can't blame the guys for a government policy, they're there to do what they are asked to do, which is safeguard the staff. Surely, we have a duty of care to reciprocate.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4377 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I think that depends very much on the length of service, and Sammy's point about the bloke being Nepalese and presumably destined for Nepal (safe) rather than shipped back to Afghanistan (unsafe).

I'll admit to total ignorance on the detail of the fella's job, but have guessed that 'security' in places like Afghanistan and Iraq is armed.
Danny's Dyer Acting

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65171795
Funding promised to develop the social care workforce in England has been halved, the government has confirmed.

In 2021 the government pledged "at least" £500 million for reforms, to be spent on training places and technology over three years.

But that figure is now £250 million, according to the Department of Health.

The government said its reforms would give care "the status it deserves" but some organisations in the sector say they fall short of what is needed.

Measures outlined in the government's white paper on social care, published in December 2021, include the creation of a new Care Certificate qualification and funding for hundreds of thousands of training places.

The document also outlines plans to speed up digitising social care records and make better use of technology such as smart speakers and sensors.

The government has said its refreshed plan will bolster the workforce and help free up hospital beds.

But the money allocated to the reforms is now just half of what was put forward in 2021.
Turns out social care funding hasn't been fixed by the Tories finally taking the tough decisions. Liz Kendall asked the government about reports this would happen a couple of weeks back. Apparently she was being disrespectful for even asking.
SammyLeeWasOffside

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:38 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65171795

Turns out social care funding hasn't been fixed by the Tories finally taking the tough decisions. Liz Kendall asked the government about reports this would happen a couple of weeks back. Apparently she was being disrespectful for even asking.
No surprise. Nobody wants to pay for it. For all the strikes and talk of who deserves paying, the people doing this job in homes and the community on min wage should be miles out in front in the queue tbh.
Danny's Dyer Acting

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:49 am No surprise. Nobody wants to pay for it. For all the strikes and talk of who deserves paying, the people doing this job in homes and the community on min wage should be miles out in front in the queue tbh.
Whether it was the right decision or not, we are paying for this one though.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -care-levy

If they need to announce a change to the plan then they should have the guts to do so. Not shut down questioning by claiming it's "disrespectful".