The Sunak Government 2022-

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Re: The Sunak Government 2022-

Post by YorksHammer »

Big George wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:55 pm well that's something I suppose
I mean, not really - in fact it's a non-story. The person to ask the question about is his non-dom wife and whether she ever had to pay a penalty, although in reality she's entitled to manage her own tax affairs. Just that if she did it then reflects badly on Sunak, especially as he should be encouraging her to pay the appropriate UK taxes.

It amazes me that anybody can get away with not paying taxes when HMRC seem so on top of chasing people. In the past six months I've had to pay something like £350 as a one-off payment for a tax issue (work used the wrong code) and this year have had my personal allowance reduced by over £500 so they can make back an estimated £165 shortfall.
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 355 likes

Post by old fart »

YorksHammer wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:48 am

It amazes me that anybody can get away with not paying taxes when HMRC seem so on top of chasing people. In the past six months I've had to pay something like £350 as a one-off payment for a tax issue (work used the wrong code) and this year have had my personal allowance reduced by over £500 so they can make back an estimated £165 shortfall.
The old adage if you owe the HMRC £165 it's your problem, if you owe them £3.7m it's their problem
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 938 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Best thing I ever did was turn down (repeatedly) offers from companies who were working on those loan schemes.

Even though (at the time) there was nothing technically wrong with them, it has been painful, tragic even, to see to what lengths HMRC have hunted down people who worked through those schemes and retrospectively targeted them.

Shameful when compared to something like this. Thousands, maybe in some cases 10s of thousands as opposed to millions of £'s.... :swear:
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I'm interested to see some meaningful policies from any side about how they are going to avoid net zero/climate change thinking completely collapsing a number of traditional industries in the next decade and what they actually intend to do in the face of the demographic timebomb the first world/western world is sat on and how they intend to socially manage the shrinkage.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 938 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

^^^ they don't need to worry about that. A week is a long time in politics, never mind 10 years.. :winker:
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Post by MB »

YorksHammer wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:48 am It amazes me that anybody can get away with not paying taxes when HMRC seem so on top of chasing people. In the past six months I've had to pay something like £350 as a one-off payment for a tax issue (work used the wrong code) and this year have had my personal allowance reduced by over £500 so they can make back an estimated £165 shortfall.
HMRC are very good at the basics like your examples. The system picks up a lot of this for them and passing the risk of penalties etc onto the employer ensures most are compliant and on top of things.

They are also very good at campaigns like the loan charge. Finding an issue and then casting the net wide (some would say too wide…) to catch everyone they think they should regardless of materiality.

They are absolutely terrible on complex investigations like Zahawi. They just don’t have enough people with the skills to do it.

They are basically just a processing department now. I’ve seen the decline in my 20 odd years dealing with them. Stick me and a dozen of my colleagues in there and we’d get the tax take up overnight.

Given it is the revenue raising part of government, the level of underinvestment is just embarrassing but then when the tax take generally goes up year on year then where is the pressure for anything else to happen?
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

MB wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:40 am are basically just a processing department now. I’ve seen the decline in my 20 odd years dealing with them. Stick me and a dozen of my colleagues in there and we’d get the tax take up overnight.

Given it is the revenue raising part of government, the level of underinvestment is just embarrassing but then when the tax take generally goes up year on year then where is the pressure for anything else to happen?
:newthumb: In particular relation to the part f your post I highlighted, I was having a chat a couple of weeks ago, and said that the first thing that I'd do if I ruled the world, :smiler: or the UK at least, would be to double the amount of HMRC staff (OK, double might be a tad too much, but you get the drift). I wonder how many times over that would pay for itself and how many it would deter from doing Zahawi like stuff, etc in the first place.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

No penalties for 'innocent' tax errors, HMRC boss says
There are no penalties for "innocent" tax errors, the boss of HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) has told MPs.

Appearing before a Commons committee, Jim Harra was pressed on issues around the tax affairs of Nadhim Zahawi.

The Conservative Party chairman is facing calls to resign, after it emerged he paid a penalty to HMRC.

Mr Harra stressed he could not comment on individual cases but said penalties were not applied when someone had taken "reasonable care".

Mr Zahawi has said HMRC accepted the error over previously unpaid tax was "careless and not deliberate". He has also insisted he has "acted properly throughout".

The HMRC chief executive was due to be giving evidence to the Public Accounts Committee about managing tax compliance following the pandemic.

However, he also faced questions related to the tax arrangements of Mr Zahawi, who has come under growing pressure in recent weeks.

Whilst he would not comment on specific individuals, Mr Harra said: "There are no penalties for innocent errors in your tax affairs. So if you take reasonable care, but nevertheless make a mistake, whilst you will be liable for the tax and for interest if it's paid late, you would not be liable for a penalty.

"But if your error was as a result of carelessness, then legislation says that a penalty could apply in those circumstances."

more...
Ouch.
MB

Post by MB »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:40 pm Ouch.
Indeed. 30% is also the maximum penalty for a careless error and is usually mitigated down if the taxpayer has “cooperated fully” so someone is lying and my bet is on the Tory minister.

Will be interesting to see who Dan’s next target is. He confirmed it is another MP but not a Conservative. Also meant to be even bigger than this one.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Every time I hear Hunt, Reeves, Starmer or Sunak speak I feel like I've been transported back in time to some god awful regional conference for Jobcentre Plus or the NHS.
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Zahawi has been tin tacked.
Last edited by smuts on Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tenbury
Has liked: 722 likes
Total likes: 1207 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Cue everyone digging up the tax affairs of Sir Stafford Cripps, etc, etc.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1224 likes
Total likes: 1647 likes

Post by last.caress »

smuts wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:29 am Zahawi has been tin tacked.
:newthumb: Good. Although, with this government, that probably just means he'll be Health Secretary by Valentine's Day.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 553 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Some journo's can borrow this for the next couple of years if they like...

"Millionaire Tory minister [insert name here] sacked for deliberately trying to defraud the UK taxpayer, and then repeatedly lying about it."
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 553 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Interesting that he was sacked for bungling the cover up, not for defrauding us taxpayers.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Are there any Tories left in frontline government who haven't been sacked/resigned in the last few years?

If this level of government scandal was in Nigeria or Bulgaria we'd all be pointing fingers ans saying how great our own democracy is.....
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

In his response letter to Sunak not one apology or mention that he was sorry, just how great the vaccine roll out was (all down to him in his mind) and the Queen's funeral and then slagging off the press.

He probably thinks he's done nothing wrong.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

MB wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:48 pm Indeed. 30% is also the maximum penalty for a careless error and is usually mitigated down if the taxpayer has “cooperated fully” so someone is lying and my bet is on the Tory minister.

Will be interesting to see who Dan’s next target is. He confirmed it is another MP but not a Conservative. Also meant to be even bigger than this one.
It has been suggested he’s in the Hunt for a cabinet minister.
MB

Post by MB »

smuts wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:29 am Zahawi has been tin tacked.
Took far too long and dominated the headlines while the country continues to crumble. Imagine Sunak won’t mind one bit.